MembersZone Subscriber

Default Recommendations for Heart Rate watches?

I am looking at heart rate monitors/watches to use while working out for the cpat/academy.

Any recommendations from personal use: Suunto, Polar, Nike, Garmin, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

The most accurate H/R watches are the ones with a strap that you wrap around your chest. IMO Just save your money and do what I do when I am doing cardio, check your carotid pulse. In High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) you should be aiming for a H/R of around 140-180 which is easily obtainable. Just count your carotid for 15 seconds then multiply by 4.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default watches

Polar would be the top of the line in quality, wide variety of choices as well as most cardio equipment work with polar brand. I was looking at Suunto but cardio equipment doesn't pick up its frequency, but good quality. Garmin is a great name, never tried it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    The most accurate H/R watches are the ones with a strap that you wrap around your chest. IMO Just save your money and do what I do when I am doing cardio, check your carotid pulse. In High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) you should be aiming for a H/R of around 140-180 which is easily obtainable. Just count your carotid for 15 seconds then multiply by 4.
    Yes, I am looking for accuracy and the ability to monitor at a glance my hr so the chest strap is the way to go for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez View Post
    Polar would be the top of the line in quality, wide variety of choices as well as most cardio equipment work with polar brand. I was looking at Suunto but cardio equipment doesn't pick up its frequency, but good quality. Garmin is a great name, never tried it.
    Thanks for the input, I agree. From what I've read the last couple of days Polar may be the most user friendly... Suunto is nice enough to be worn around the clock though.

I highly recommend the Garmin Forerunner watch. It is a bit expensive, but worth it. It will track your speed, average speed, heart rate, average heart rate, elevation gain/loss, and more. It also will put all of these things into graphs for you to view and analyze. I got it for my wife and she loves it. I use it also when she lets me. Good luck!

Forum Member

I'm in a Tower right now and my department issued all of us an Ekho WM-108 to use during PT. I have nothing to compare it to but it seems to work well and is easy to read at a quick glance. It does use a chest strap.

http://www.amazon.com/Ekho-WM-108-He.../dp/B00193HUZA

The only weird thing I've noticed is that it reads super high while we're running in cadence but I think that's because my watch is reading my chest strap and the chest strap of the guy I'm rubbing elbows with, so it's picking up two heart beats. I think any heart monitor would do that though.

I think Mio Shape heart rate monitor is good for you.The Mio Shape heart rate monitor is a simple strapless ECG accurate heart rate monitor. Without a chest strap transmitter, it requires that you put two fingers on the sensors on the wrist watch to measure your heart rate. Hence it measures heart rate on demand, rather than continuously.

Forum Member

Had issues with my Polar F11 ... not reading correct .....sometimes as much as 25% of the exercise. If you check the website forums you will see others having the same problem. I prolly wouldn't buy anther one.

Forum Member

Default hr watches

From my experience, I have owned a few polar types and other brands related to cycling, I would go with what your like to use. Make sure that the watch has a coded signal that way you don't get interference from others exercising(mentioned above). Not all hr monitors have a coded strap, but some do and I recommend it. They all occasionally get interference from certain frequencies but the coded type work the best.

Then go out and do a threshold test so that you can establish some exercise zones(with doctors permission of course). The old way of 220 minus your age doesn't really work if you want accuracy. I strictly use power meters now for cycling but when I used hr monitors my max was regularly over 200bpm.

You can do some searching online or at cycling fitness sites to get your workout zones that way you can work on whatever you need like endurance, top end, etc.

for example it will tell you that
    65-81% of your LTRH(lactic threshold heart rate) is recovery
    82-88% of your LTRH is Aerobic
    89-93% " " " is Tempo
    94-100% " " is sub threshold
    etc..

or some iteration of that. The numbers aren't really useful if you don't put them in context for your specific goal.

(lactic threshold heart rate is the level of exertion where your workout shifts from aerobic to anaerobic meaning that you produce more lactic acid than you can efficiently flush out of your muscles.)

Good luck! Let me know if you need more info. likewise sorry if its too much info already!

HH

MembersZone Subscriber

My experience with Polar is that their repair service sucks.
    Bought it at REI (similar to Eastern Mountain Sports) and eventually needed to replace the battery. Polar does not honor their warranty if you don't send it in to them. REI cautioned me that they were slow when it came to repair work.
    Long story short, Polar lost the watch in their own workshop. This was after it was in their shop for THREE MONTHS for a battery replacement.

REI gave me another HR monitor. I did not choose another Polar.

MembersZone Subscriber

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 07-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.

Thread Information