Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thumbs down Popliteus muscle/tendon (knee pain)

Ok so about a week ago at fire academy we were doing hi-rise drills in our 3 story drill tower, full bunker gear/scba and hi-rise packs up and down stairs, in the darkness I misjudged a step and twisted my right knee which initially was just a "ow, damnit that hurt" moment, but since then I have had constant mild pain, and when we do our running (1.5 miles every 2 days or so) it kills. Then we do drills after our run and by the end of the night Im hurtin bad. usually a night of rest makes it feel better, but I woke up this morning with pain.
    The pain is concentrated on the lateral side of my right leg. Its pretty much centrally located on the outside of the knee. It hurts to go from sitting to standing, hurts to walk, definetly hurts to run. I cannot just sit back and rest, I have to keep active or i'll be useless on drill days. Im thinking swimming or cycling are probably it for leg workouts eh?
    I was always taught RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) but theres no swelling so Im skipping the icing part. for compression Im using an elastic/velcro knee brace, but I cant wear that during drills, as we are required to be on our knees when working in IDLH.
    any suggestions, comments, advice from other knee pain suffer-ers?
    Last edited by Phaedrus; 04-23-2009 at 05:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Lcl

The first thing is to establish whether this is a structural injury (structural damage: LCL or meniscus) or is this a dynamic issue (initial injury causes a protective response resulting in a change in function of the leg), I would recommend getting looked at by a sports orthopedic doc to be sure. If there is no structural damage then its a matter of re-establishing proper muscular function and joint angle to allow healing to occur. This might mean taking it easy, talking to the trainers to possibly not participate in running for 1-2 weeks, maybe do something else in its place.

Take a look at the website for more info

Orlando Gomez PT/FF
    Portland Fire & Rescue
    www.adapttraining.com

Forum Member

Biggest thing that I would be concerned with is finding out the extensiveness of the injury. Youre no good to yourself or anyone else if you become permanently injured because you chose to push through the pain. Remember, this is your body and your future career. No sense in putting it on the line and pushing yourself one more day. Who knows when that one more day will end and you cant go on. Get it checked out. I agree with Ogomez when he says talk to the trainers and see if you can get a modified PT schedule, granted your knee is ok to do so, and if need be stay off of it for a couple of days.

As for right now, you can maybe treat with an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever like Motrin or Naproxyn, and you really should ice the area. I know that you said that you dont have any swelling, but with acute injuries, i.e. sprains/strains, you would want to ice the area to help with the underlying inflammation even if no swelling is present which will also possibly help ease some of the pain.

heh I knew it. went to the doc, guess what? he referred me to another doctor.

Ok, back from the sports doc. Took x-rays and moved my knee all around, says its nothing serious, just a sprain/strain on the popliteus muscle/tendon. Says it'll take a few weeks to heal, longer if I keep working out on it, which I have to for academy. I guess I'll just be adding ibuprofen/motrin/naproxen to my pre-drillday consumption.

Any suggestions for good quad/hamstring stretches? It seems that proper stretching may help tremendously, as not much else will.

not much to see really

Thread Information