Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Going the right route?

Ok,
    I am looking to become a career FF now, just like a lot of us in this forum and just wondering if some of the veterans here can look at what I have been doing and see if I going the right route and is there anything else I should be doing.

I am 28 an Air Force Vet. of 6 yrs. as a tactical aircraft mechanic. I am currently still in the Air National Guard. I have my EMT-B license and will have FFI in a few weeks. Have 32 credits to my Associates in Fire Science. I redo my CPAT cert. every 6 months to keep it up to date. On a volley department in the town I live in for almost a yr.

Should start applying to full time depts. now or wait until my school is done? If someone would look at my resume now what would they think?
    Should I go to mini schools between semesters to beef it up a little?

Thanks in advance,
    TheProbie

Start applying right away. Apply to every fire department you would like to work for. Take the Fire department tests and keep taking the tests. If you don't get hired the first time, you'll have a better idea of what to expect the second time. Hiring on the fire department isn't a one shot deal. You can test over and over again. I know several people on my department who tested as many as five times for one department alone. It worked, eventually!

And while you do that, keep the education going.

Good Luck,

Rob Bieber
    producer/director: "A firefighter's Journey"
    www.firewerxfilms.com

Forum Member

Yes, itís a good idea to take as many tests as possible because the more tests you take the better you get at taking tests. But before you take off you will want to learn how to take a firefighter oral board interview that is like no other. So, you wonít waste opportunities time and treasure before you figure out how to pass the oral board high enough to get a shot at the badge.

Itís all about learning how to present your package of qualifications. I've seen candidates with great credentials falter when it comes to presenting their qualifications at the interview. And if you can't present yourself well, you don't get the jobÖperiod! Never! Ever!

I would be happy to take a look at your resume. Rewrite your resume into the following format, http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm save it in a Word.doc, not Vista ( I canít open a Vista .docx file) and e-mail it to me: Robert.smith19@comcast.net

Got a call this week from an excited candidate who just got out of his LA City oral board. He said he had to call me. This was my first oral interview ever. After the interview I was in the reception area with about 20+ candidates. A lady called my name and asked me to follow her down the hall. She told me I just got a 100% and handed me my background packet to go forward in the hiring process. My head is still spinning!

Then came one of the toughest things Iíve had to do. Call my cousin who has tested for LA City 5 times and didnít make the cut. I did it on my first time. Funny thing is I offered him to share the information with him and he wasnít interested. He is now! Tony
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information