Forum Member

Default So much for being anti-union......

....Scaredycow and LAFireChallenged.

Yesterday, NBC Nightly News interviewed the brave crew members of the Maersk Alabama, who all survived an attack by Somali pirates. They discussed how they managed to capture one of the bandits and bind him up, and they had universal praise for Capt. Richard Phillips, who agreed to be taken hostage to save his crew. One seaman, third engineer John Cronan, directly attributed their ability to prevail in the situation to their union training:
    Q: How did you retain control of the ship?
    CRONAN: We’re American seamen. We’re union members. We stuck together, and we did our jobs. And that’s how we did it.
    Watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYycSRcm5M&eur
    As Marcy Wheeler and Nick Baumann have pointed out, the crew members belonged to the Seafarers International Union, the Marine Engineers’ Beneficial Association, and the International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots. Baumann noted that the seamen received “anti-piracy training” from the unions.
    UpdateAFL-CIO Maritime Trades Department President Michael Sacco, speaking on behalf of the maritime unions involved, said, "We are extremely proud of the efforts shown by the crew of the Maersk Alabama. These well-trained American merchant mariners exemplify the very best in our industry."

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Forum Member

Are Navy SEALS unionized?

Forum Member

So you are trying to tell us that the only reason they survived is because they are in a union? I am fairly certain that there are probably other groups through which they could recieve anti-piracy training. The comment was also made that they stuck together because they are union members. I'm sorry, but I don't have to be a union member to stick together with my guys and gals. I hope that I am not misunderstanding the meaning of your post.

Banned

So let's see. The captain (non-union), who is the hero here, sacrificed himself, while the crew ran away.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    So let's see. The captain (non-union), who is the hero here, sacrificed himself, while the crew ran away.
    Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

The crew did not run away.
    The Captain offered himself in exchange for his crew.
    His crew followed his orders.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The Captain consciously chose to place his life on the line, so that others may live.

Hmmmmmm....Where have I heard that before?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The Captain consciously chose to place his life on the line, so that others may live.

Hmmmmmm....Where have I heard that before?
    Star Trek?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

This is just stupid. Did you even follow any of the story at all? I'm not a union guy either but this is just flat out bashing. Noone ran away, in fact they where fighting them off until the captain called them off. How do you think one of them(a pirate) was stabbed in the hand?

Forum Member

you know I have never been in favor of unions. But, I'm now starting really see some good reasons for them. Yes I don't like how they protect some guys who are bums and don't really work. The company(nonUnion) I work for(and I won't be saying who) has a person in an upper management position who is right now as we speak trying to pull work away from us and sending it to China just to save money. He has no remorse or a care in the world about anyones jobs. He only cares about making more money and making himself look good. Maybe the union guys have been right about alot of stuff all along.
    Sorry to go off topic and ramble.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Milo76 View Post
    This is just stupid. Did you even follow any of the story at all? I'm not a union guy either but this is just flat out bashing. Noone ran away, in fact they where fighting them off until the captain called them off. How do you think one of them(a pirate) was stabbed in the hand?
    The whole thread is idiotic. Just playing along.

You know. When in Rome do as the Romans.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the larger lines have piracy training now, Singapore, Freemantle, Capetown, Dubai to name just a few. Also most seaman are at least members if International Seafarers Union. Its not a particularly American thing.

Forum Member

The whole thread is idiotic. Just playing along.

You know. When in Rome do as the Romans.
    Your initial post on this thread was idiotic, but then, that's what we expect coming from you and is what you do best...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Is it mandatory, by some court order, for you to either make yourself look like a moron or an as$hole every day here on Firehouse.com?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Is it mandatory, by some court order, for you to either make yourself look like a moron or an as$hole every day here on Firehouse.com?
    My comment is no more ridiculous than the starting comment on this thread.

Unions have notta darn thing to do with any of this. I thought that since it started stupid the intent was to post stupid comments. BTW, being stupid is something I find difficult to do.

Forum Member

BTW, being stupid is something I find difficult to do.
    I'm laughing so hard at this statement that my sides hurt.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It is something you do so well though.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milo76 View Post
    you know I have never been in favor of unions. But, I'm now starting really see some good reasons for them. Yes I don't like how they protect some guys who are bums and don't really work. The company(nonUnion) I work for(and I won't be saying who) has a person in an upper management position who is right now as we speak trying to pull work away from us and sending it to China just to save money. He has no remorse or a care in the world about anyones jobs. He only cares about making more money and making himself look good. Maybe the union guys have been right about alot of stuff all along.
    Sorry to go off topic and ramble.
    Welcome to the dark side.

Forum Member

They were a well trained and brave crew. Why do people insist on making any high profile event into some kind of example for [insert cause of the day here].
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Story on network news (always a reliable source) from the Merchant Marine Academy regarding anti pirate training is. 1.) Man fire hoses. 2.) If the pirates fire weapons the crew is to run away to the engine room, lock themselves in, shut all power in the ship down (which then cooks at 100+F in the tropics), wait for rescue by _____. Apparently exactly what happend with Maersk (except the CO didn't go).

Fire hose vs Ak? Which has the range advantage? Pirates that don't have weapons?
    SOP is to hide in the engine room. That's proactive. Perhaps could stock the engine room with weapons, seperate environmental equipment (as for AC), comms?

Forum Member

Or perhaps we could crew the ship with a few rednecks(or other like minded folk)and put a bounty on Pirates heads.NO daily bag limit! AK's OK ,a 50 might be better on a ship. T.C.

Forum Member

Probably because it comes so naturally to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Being unionized had nothing to with the outcome of this event. It just sounded good in an interview and he will probably get a pat of the back at the next union supper for it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually Phillips is union, which in my eyes showed in his character. IF he was non-union he might of cared more about his own well-being and less about a entire crew. Kind of the point of being non-union.

http://www.maritimetrades.org/articl...2id=39&pid=812

Forum Member

This entire thread is idiotic. The captain and crew being union or non-union had NOTHING to do with this event. NOTHING. Of course the union guy took an opportunity to pretend that it did, that's his job.

Again, are Navy SEALS unionized? If not, does that mean they don't care about the well-being of their entire SEAL team, only themselves?

Idiotic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I'm laughing so hard at this statement that my sides hurt.
    Thought you might I was laughing when I wrote it. Couldn't wait to see the responses.

Thread Information