Thread: Rescue Squads

Default Rescue Squads

Would a volunteer rescue squad (non-transport) that provides countywide R.I.T. be able to receive this year’s fire act grant? I have read through the paperwork and am little lost.

We run all the medical, MVA’s and rescue calls in the county, but do not transport. We are looking into running R.I.T. on all structure fires, countywide soon. We are just trying to get more information.

We may miss out on the 09 grants but hope to apply in 2010 if we can.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe you have to be chartered as a fire department or as a non-affiliated ems. It sounds like you do not fall under either one. But don't take this as the "Ofishual" word.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You have to transport patients to be eligible.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Sly thanks for posting that. I had not heard about that one. FYI folks.
    A department in East Tenn had a grant pulled after the engine had already be bought, delivered and paid for because an on-site audit found that they were NOT NIMS COMPLIANT like they said they were.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's just a lack of trying there. All the classes are online and free at training.fema.gov so if you're not when you submit the app it's not like it would take long to get done by award time, let alone by the time the truck gets delivered. I took all 3 classes at lunchtime at the old job in 40 minutes. It's ICS with different words for the same things....

Forum Member

"NIMS compliant" seems like a great way people like to force changes. "The gub'ment made us do it." But, AFG seems entirely reasonable about what is considered compliant.

AFG recipients will be considered in compliance with this NIMS requirement if the grantee: 1) has an operational knowledge of ICS; 2) has an understanding of NIMS’ principles and policies; and 3) agrees to adopt and/or comply with all directives, ordinances, rules, orders, edicts, etc., passed down by local or State authorities with respect to incident management. Organizations already trained in ICS do not need retraining if the previous training was consistent with DHS standards. In order for us to document compliance, grantees will be required to certify their recognition of NIMS/ICS as part of the grant closeout process.
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah but hard to satisfy #2 without going over the materials. By the time you get done 'understanding' it all might as well fill out the test sheet and remove any doubt of compliance. Documentation rules in decision making. An hour training or a lost pumper? I think it's best to just bite the bullet and get it done. They can't argue with the certificates.

Forum Member

No argument from me, Brian. "Overmatch" the departments contribution to the project with a few pizzas and bottle of soda and get it done. There are plenty of other things that take hard work in order to stay compliant this should have been easy. There are so many other things someone could say you need to do to be compliant that DHS is almost giving you the 200 points for putting your name on the test.
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Thread Information