Forum Member

Default Wellness and fitness info?

I am trying to write for fitness equipment this year. Does anyone know how much money is allowed for treadmills, elipticals, weights, etc.? What about resources or vendors who specialize in FD needs for fitness and wellness? Any help is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Contact NEIOWA and ask him how to find top quality fitness equipment through government surplus.
    Don't waste Firefighting grant money on such foolishness.
    If thats all that you can think of to ask for you are much better off than most of us.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are right island, how could Joe even think of WASTING AFG money on the # 1 killer of firefighters?????

Joe, send me a PM and I'll get you contact inf. for an equipment dealer I've been happy with. Make sure to read up and include the IAFF and volunteer council wellness initiatives in your narrative. Money for training IAFF Peer fitness trainer has been fundable in the past, awesome program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdmichael View Post
    You are right island, how could Joe even think of WASTING AFG money on the # 1 killer of firefighters?????

Joe, send me a PM and I'll get you contact inf. for an equipment dealer I've been happy with. Make sure to read up and include the IAFF and volunteer council wellness initiatives in your narrative. Money for training IAFF Peer fitness trainer has been fundable in the past, awesome program.
    Is islandfire serious? Guess I struck a nerve or something.

Thank you Ifdmichael, for your reply. I have been hard at it today looking up the NFPA standard, IAFF/IAFC, volunteer council, etc. Got some good ideas now, but still struggling with vendors. I don't know how much to ask for or which equipment to go after... I will try to send you that PM in the morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you considered asking some of the gyms for donations of their old equipment? There is a BUNCH of it available, and in really good shape.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Anytime a Bally's remodels they tend to give the old stuff away to nonprofits in the area. The one near the old department offered some stuff but had no where to put it.

Forum Member

Yes: I was serious as a heart attack!

There are millions of dollars worth of commercial fitness equipment availavle out there , often times free for the asking. There are departments still running trucks that are older than the majority of the members and whose turnout gear consists of hightop boots & long coats. Fire fighter safety ! not spending pork dollars on equipment that won't get used sitting in the back of the station collecting dust.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Now kids, don't make us turn this forum around and go back home!

A place for everything and everything in its place applies here. Those that need the gear, packs, basic trucks aren't applying for this stuff anyway. Trucks are a moot point since it's a different category, no competition with exercise equipment.

But anyway, that's why this year it's a requirement to certify as part of the application that you already do initial physicals, immunizations, and annual medical/health screening. If you can't say you already do it then need to ask for it, otherwise can't submit. A lot of career and combination departments are making this part of their daily requirements, quite a few of my friends that work paid around here have a 1 hour workout requirement on every shift. They have to at least walk on the treadmill, lift weights, ride the bike, etc, etc. It's part of the hiring contract. Health care is only really expensive if you aren't healthy, so a lot of departments and cities are requiring it because if someone is so far out of shape then they're done at 20 year instead of making it longer. Out of shape means more likely to get hurt, pull muscles, cause a situation at a fire, on top of heart attack issues. Call it my midlife crisis but I'm more aware of my own health for several reasons. One, scale told me I passed 250 for the first time in my life, turned 35 last month, 4 days after finding out #2 is due in November and I get wore out after 10 minutes of playing in the year with the 3 year old and the dog. Talk to some people that don't have it and good health is the greatest thing we can have. If the BMI is too high, diet is bad, etc, etc, shouldn't be putting the gear on and putting everyone else in jeopardy either. I know a Captain on a ladder co that's over 350 at under 6ft tall, hasn't been able to zip his coat in years. What's wrong with that picture in trying to convey peace of mind to the public that the job can get done? Don't have to be Adonis, but dang gotta at least be able to run an 8 minute mile.

Forum Member

Very good points there Brian. Thank you. I am in my thirties too and feel my youth slipping away. We have decent equipment, but there are still many deficiencies within our department. Our union and our administration both agree 100% that one of our greatest deficiencies is a lack of a physical fitness program. I guess we could just wait for one of our members to keel over on a fire scene or during a training exercise before we actually DO something about it...

Forum Member

btw...

I forgot to include in my last post that there are only two gyms in our district. One of them is brand new and won't be getting rid of anything for a while. The city owns the other one and their stuff has to be in really bad shape before they decide to get rid of it. If it is bad enough for them to toss out -we don't want it. Thanks for the tips, but I don't see getting any more used/donated equipment in here as an option for us. The stuff we have right now was used/donated and, except for a few of the free weights, it is all pretty rough.

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms on here but I/we feel very strongly about this issue.

Thread Information