Thread: Turn out gear

Forum Member

Question Turn out gear

Does the number of pieces of gear need to match up, for example we have a couple FF's that have purchased thier own helmets, a few guys have coats that are newer than the pants they use. If we ask for say 10 coats, 12 pair of pants, 8 helmets, etc. will the computer think I'm crazy when it comes to scoring? Explaining the difference in numbers in the narrative would be no problem and to my way of thinking beneficial since we're asking for only what we need, not what we want. thoughts?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nope, computer won't care and review actually tends to like that better.

Forum Member

Hey I got one right on my own! Thanks Brian!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah but now you're stuck on Forum Helpdesk duty to answer questions for everyone so Kurt and I can go kick back. As if either of us can until May 21st...

Forum Member

Thats the last place you want me, ask Kurt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Nope, computer won't care and review actually tends to like that better.
    I did not know that. I find that aspect very interesting and very revealing .

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Proof of knowing all aspects of your gear if you know the exact ages of all pieces as required by 1851. Means you're not trying to duplicate any sets for anyone. Done that a few times with not asking for gloves, boots, or helmets, and mentioning that they were taken care of already so only coats and pants were needed.

"Need is about asking only for what you can't get yourself, not asking for what you could get." - Confuscious, if he was a grant writer

MembersZone Subscriber

Along the lines of turn-out, I am asking for 14 sets. Staffing is at 20, 6 of the sets in service are less than 10 years old, 14 older than 10 years. How do I answer the current NFPA compliance question?
    I will not be 100% compliant with current standards.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

30%, anything less than 10 years is compliant unless condition says otherwise.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had asked for 34 but I had 4 sets that were 2 to 6 years old and they did not fund them. So I got funded for 30. But I did ask for the 34 knowing I might not get them all and I did that because in the grant I stated we had 34 members and I thought it might look weird only asking for 30 sets when we had 34 people.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Interesting question, but I wonder if there's a problem with only buying partial sets of turnout gear (only coats or only pants). Can you mix and match different brands, styles, even different models from the same manufacturer, and still be NFPA compliant? I thought turnout gear was rated as an entire ensemble? What does NFPA have to say about mixing and matching gear? I know it's done sometimes in the real world out of necessity, but wouldn't AFG prefer that entire sets be purchased? Would there be liability issues? Just wondering....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't see anyone mixing brands, plus like any material the older part can be reworked to fit with the ensemble if necessary. I wore one brand coat and one brand pants at the old department. Went on leave for the daughter being born and they gave my gear to a recruit since I was going to be out for 6 months. I was due a new set anyway. But that was actually the most comfortable combo I've ever worn.

Thread Information