Thread: Dry Hydrants

Forum Member

Default Dry Hydrants

I am trying to fund dry hydrants through an AFG grant. I am wondering how to apply for the funding for installation expense which is about half the cost. I can justify them well as after installing 10 about 80% of our district will be within 3 miles of a hydrant compared to 10% now.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You can justify them except for the fact that they aren't eligible. Sorry, USDA & HUD are about the lone spots for those things besides private money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your in Missouri? What about the Tax Credit program? Conservation will also help you if you are putting them on conservation property.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.dfs.dps.mo.gov/dfsDryHydrant.htm

This is the Missouri program. 5k off the bottom line on your
    taxes. Provide some inkind labor for the other half....

MembersZone Subscriber

I suggest you change gear and go in a direction that will give same (likely better) water supply. Get one or more Turbodraft. No maintenance required, every body of water is a source, and less expensive. One of our frequent posters got 3x (and load of 5") on 2008 FG.

My FD has a Turbodraft on a local dry hydrant and works even better than their specs. I'm glad we didn't end up installing a std dry hydrant. Good piece of Gear.

Budget around $2900 for the large one. www.turbodraft.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Done quite a few of those also on apps, everyone has had really good results with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    I suggest you change gear and go in a direction that will give same (likely better) water supply. Get one or more Turbodraft. No maintenance required, every body of water is a source, and less expensive. One of our frequent posters got 3x (and load of 5") on 2008 FG.

My FD has a Turbodraft on a local dry hydrant and works even better than their specs. I'm glad we didn't end up installing a std dry hydrant. Good piece of Gear.

Budget around $2900 for the large one. www.turbodraft.com
    We finally got the TurboDrafts in. As soon as a get a couple of adapters, we're going to load the 5" on the trucks and go out and try the suckers. I'm hoping they work as well as I've heard!

To the OP: We ended up writing an entire "water supply" project, complete with hard suction, strainers, TurboDrafts, intake valves, 1,500' of 5" hose for each engine, and a slew of adapters to allow interoperability with other departments. I'd be glad to share it if you'd like a look at it, as well as any of the thought process that went into what we're doing with it.

As far as the dry hydrant programs, there used to be a program through the RC&D that would give you everything but the straight pipe, plus $500 for the pipe and install (per hydrant).
    Last edited by Catch22; 04-20-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Forum Member

Default thanks

Thanks for the info. RC&D doesn't have it anymore to my knowlege. We used it for 2. I had wondered about the turbodraft but it appears to be a success for most of you. We may try that.

My only problem lies in the fact that you need a supply of water to operate the turbo draft and around here, we sometimes don't have a pumper available to fill.

Now to change gears, what would the thought of doing it regional with turbo draft. We did regional LDH this year, currently out for bid so many departments would have the ldh needed.

Back to the hydrants thought, is the construction aspect the non eliglble part. I read through the guidnece again and that is what I feel is not eligable.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Nothing dry hydrant is eligible. Clarification from Program Management since the pipe is useless without proper installation.

Forum Member

What are the names of the USDA and HUD programs where dry hydrants are eligible?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Rural Development or Rural Emergency Initiative for USDA

HUD is Community Block Development Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by moemtcw View Post
    Thanks for the info. RC&D doesn't have it anymore to my knowlege. We used it for 2. I had wondered about the turbodraft but it appears to be a success for most of you. We may try that.

My only problem lies in the fact that you need a supply of water to operate the turbo draft and around here, we sometimes don't have a pumper available to fill.
    Then include a portable pump floating or other. (see the turbodraft web site for various techniques). The pump drafts from the source at 200gpm and send to the turbodraft. You then net gain 900+gpm at the 5" discharge.

I'm never going chasing dryhydrant $ again. Turbodraft has beat in every manner.

Thread Information