Forum Member

Default Accountability Systems

Our department is considering requesting funding for an accountability system. I am told that the system that goes with our Draeger SCBAs for both fire companies in our department would run upwards of $60,000 for 30 firefighters. After reviewing the threads on this board, it seems that accountability systems get reduced quite frequently. I also read this thread: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...accountability

and it seems the Grace system would be "better" from the standpoint of tracking all firefighters (not just those wearing SCBAs) and from what I could find on the net, less expensive (looks like about one half the cost), even after paying for the individual transmitter units for 30 firefighters. Any thoughts on the cost of the Draeger system, and cost of accountability systems overall per firefighter?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JD1234; 04-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

Can anybody give any insight on the cost of an accountability system, and if the numbers below will be too high for AFG? We are a suburban volunteer department that runs about 300-400 calls per year. Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

What exactly are you looking for, an accountability system or a firefighter location system?

It seems to me you're looking at location systems. Not to say this is wrong, but from my perspective and knowledge of the systems they aren't what I'd call an accountability system, where everyone on scene has a tag (not just those with PASS devices), a command board, etc. Or even a computer-based system with an on-screen "command board" and bar-code tags. Either way, that kind of system is far cheaper and can integrate more people from different agencies than a PASS device based system.

Forum Member

I wasn't aware of a difference between accountability and firefighter locator systems, but I guess a locator system is accountability plus location like this Grace system:

http://www.graceindustries.com/produ...%2FRescue&pr=6

Another system we are considering is at: http://www.onsiteert.com/ , and this is called an on site monitoring system for personnel.

Back to my original question, will our request for over $60,000 get knocked down for such a system (personnel monitoring)? Seems kind of high to me in view of what Greenacres posted in the thread linked in my original post.

No. You will not get "knocked down" for a system because of the price. If you write a compelling narrative you can get this awarded.

Thread Information