Default Need Guidance Please

I really need some help here. I feel like I am stuck in between a rock and a hard place. I am about to graduate from my EMT-B program in about 2 weeks and was wanting to go to the fire academy. I live in Wentzville, MO, which is part of St. Charles County. I was told there is an academy in St. Charles and one for St. Louis County. Now, from my understanding if I go to St. Louis County I have the opportunity to work anywhere in the St. Louis area and if I go to St. Charles academy I am limited to only St. Charles County.

So with the little knowledge that I have I have been contacting people I know that currently are ff/paramedics. A friend of mine suggested I go to become a paramedic first because he said the odds of me getting hired as an emt/ff is very slim and ALOT harder. So now the problem, I work full time and CANNOT afford to work part-time so going to Paramedic schools looks like it will be impossible. My plan originally was to become an emt/ff and get hired on somewhere then, while doing that, try to go back to school for my paramedics license.

Now, knowing that I have to work full time, it appears that the St. Louis academy will be out of question.

Can someone tell me what they suggest I do. I have been working so hard at the EMT class and Im not about to throw all this hard work away. What are the odds of getting on as an emt/ff somewhere?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're not opposed to travelling, many prominent departments will hire without any fire certs, and you'll come out with FF1 and 2. DoD hires FF2's, so do either academy, but make sure that their cert will be accepted elsewhere. Check with www.usajobs.gov for the numerous openings. I don't know what you do for work, but you can use your EMT-B to work as an ER tech. In Cali an NY a tech will get about 15-25/hr, maybe 10-16/hr in less developed areas, with a flexible schedule to boot. It would also be a great way to form a schedule around medic school.

Forum Member

Nathan,

If you can't afford the education, or the time to commit to it, then just go after the job. There are many departments that don't require fire based education. They'll train you. You just need to find them. I know it sounds counterintuitive to believe a person with no certs., or previous experience, can compete for a job - on a level scale - with someone from a fire background. But it happens, and quite often.

Good Luck

Rob Bieber
    www.firewerxfilms.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhbieber View Post
    Nathan,

If you can't afford the education, or the time to commit to it, then just go after the job. There are many departments that don't require fire based education. They'll train you. You just need to find them. I know it sounds counterintuitive to believe a person with no certs., or previous experience, can compete for a job - on a level scale - with someone from a fire background. But it happens, and quite often.

Good Luck

Rob Bieber
    www.firewerxfilms.com
    FDNY, Charlotte, Charleston SC, and many depts in MD/DC/NoVa would be good places to apply.

Forum Member

memphis,tn is hiring and they will train you. we are just down the street from you guys.

I got an interview with Wright City for next Wed. but they person who set the interview up stated she didn't know where the license through their academy was good for. I will find out Wed I guess. She did say that the Chief is hoping to get people to sign 2 yr volunteer contracts in exchange for the academy being paid for but I am not a fan of that idea. I want to try and get hired on somewhere. I am hoping the academy is good for alot more the their county only.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZ06 View Post
    I got an interview with Wright City for next Wed. but they person who set the interview up stated she didn't know where the license through their academy was good for. I will find out Wed I guess. She did say that the Chief is hoping to get people to sign 2 yr volunteer contracts in exchange for the academy being paid for but I am not a fan of that idea. I want to try and get hired on somewhere. I am hoping the academy is good for alot more the their county only.
    The Fairfax County Fire Rescue Dept issued Firefighter I/II certificate says several things: Pro Board NBFSPQ, Virginia Department Of Fire Programs, and NFPA 1001 (2002 Edition) Firefighter I/II Course. Find out what endorsements your fire academy has. If you aspire for DoD, contact the Fed Gov't to find out what they will accept for FFI/II cert. Do the same for any municipal dept you may potentially consider working for. You don't want to commit your time for some junk certification that no one will recognize outside your locality. Try Memphis. It should be close enough to home that you can drive up for 2-3 day visits while you're off. I've heard good things about their Dept, and I considered applying there before FxCo. hired me.
    Last edited by edpmedic; 05-01-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information