MembersZone Subscriber

Default weight training , a must in the fire service

Im going to vent here a bit. I am enrolled in an academy, only 5 weeks left before I start my job in the forest service. I work out regularly, and am in great shape, cardio and strength. Im 5/9 165 lbs, and found out that if needed can pull out or lift up a person with gear that is in excess of 250 lbs by myself. We as ana academy had a training drill this weekend, where we had to go in a structer as a team of 2 and lift a person to a window to be rescued. The person that I was with couldnt even move the person, so I did it mostly by myself, and in doing so destroyed my back. Im in slot of pain hopeing that I can get back into my training regime before I start work. I feel that there has to be someting done about the people that are being hired, they need to be in shape, strengh and cardio, more people are going to get hurt and killed if nothng is done

Forum Member

Glad to know you are in good shape but you are part of a team. It is also good to know you are a snot nose little punk who is complaining about other firefighters and are not even out of the academy. I look forward to having you in my firehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn23 View Post
    Glad to know you are in good shape but you are part of a team. It is also good to know you are a snot nose little punk who is complaining about other firefighters and are not even out of the academy. I look forward to having you in my firehouse.
    are you kidding me? I have spent many years in the outside world as a contractor. I know exactely what teamwork is, and what happens when its not there. When you get hired on to a department there are training requirements that will hopefully keep the team safe, in some academies that option isnt there, and some people wont train unless they absolutly have to. Now unles you took the time to read my post you should understand the importance of training and conditioning. Maybe you are your companines weak link that may result in someone diying or getting seriously hurt

Forum Member

Or you could help your fellow brothers by encouraging them to work out....come up with an interesting way to get all invovled and undertsand that some people do have limitations.......that being said there is a basic level of fitness and strength needed to do the job....anything above that can be solved by good teamwork.

Remember ROOK....2 ears and 1 mounth...use them in this proportion

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gobears75 View Post
    Im going to vent here a bit. I am enrolled in an academy, only 5 weeks left before I start my job in the forest service.
    Great you are enrolled in an academy, Good for you it is a good start and will give you a little bit of education
    I work out regularly, and am in great shape, cardio and strength. Im 5/9 165 lbs, and found out that if needed can pull out or lift up a person with gear that is in excess of 250 lbs by myself.
    I guess you do not mind bragging, and was a jock in school.
    I feel that there has to be someting done about the people that are being hired, they need to be in shape, strengh and cardio, more people are going to get hurt and killed if nothng is done
    Are these people being hired or are they going through an academy? Not that they shouldn't be in shape.

Forum Member

are you kidding me? I have spent many years in the outside world as a contractor. I know exactely what teamwork is, and what happens when its not there.
    If you believe this maybe you need to go back to the world of contractors, around here teamwork is a necessity not just a word.
    When you get hired on to a department there are training requirements that will hopefully keep the team safe, in some academies that option isnt there, and some people wont train unless they absolutly have to.
    Not with the way you are trying to motivate people to work out. Encouragement goes a whole lot further.
    Now unles you took the time to read my post you should understand the importance of training and conditioning. Maybe you are your companines weak link that may result in someone diying or getting seriously hurt
    I never said that training and conditioning was not important. There are different ways of training and conditioning other than being a gym rat.
    You are not even on the job and complaining about things you can not change. Do not become a member of the 2/20 club we have egnough of those in the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn23 View Post
    If you believe this maybe you need to go back to the world of contractors, around here teamwork is a necessity not just a word.

Not with the way you are trying to motivate people to work out. Encouragement goes a whole lot further.

I never said that training and conditioning was not important. There are different ways of training and conditioning other than being a gym rat.
    You are not even on the job and complaining about things you can not change. Do not become a member of the 2/20 club we have egnough of those in the fire service
    I many have come off as an ***?*%, but this is very important. Yes I was a jock in highschool, and in college and that ability to work in a team oriented sport and the mentality to achieve is why I have a job today. I feel that training is very important in the fire ground, but if your the weak link in your team everyone suffers. I have tried to motivate the ones that need motivation. And I know that there are people like this in every fire house. There are people in my academy who I know will get a job one day, and it scares the hell out of that they may be responsible to retrieve a fallen firefighter from a bad situation. Sometimes in team sports you can mask the shortcommings of another player by execptional play by 1 or 2 people, in this business you cant. I hope that you can honestly say that with out a doubt that you would feel safe knowing that every one of the guys you work with are capable of saving you. If so good for your team, if not you know who you need to work on. From readeing your posts it seems that you are trying to lose some weight and trying to get your self in better shape. If your still at it good job, if not and cant seem to find the time; 1. this is no excuse, there is always time 2. if you still find the there is no time excuse consuming your energy, you are not only endangering your self, but your TEAM
    Last edited by gobears75; 04-23-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Thread Information