Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question how do we get to peer???????????

Help i worked with this last year and stihl have the same problem. the computer kicks us out before anyone can read the narritive. our problem is we are very small village and farm community. most of the farm houses are gone and not enough population. still need same equip as city to do the job. our dept covers aprox 70 sq mi with a pop of only 640 we need scba badly but can not get cost benifit below 7.00 and that is for only 8 and from what i read in here and program min i should be asking for is 10-12. how can i get past computer and to peer with that figure???? the 6 scba we have now were purchased in 1989 msa belt reg type. 19 active ff, avreage 6-8 ff per call. ps hello to bc49er and ktb from sibley ill
    Last edited by chiefmeyer301; 04-21-2009 at 12:02 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Beating the computer isn't under our powers Randy, best we can do is bulletproof the narrative, keep it to a single project, and spin the wheel. Dropping it to 12 would probably be a decent move to at least get closer to getting rid of those 89-vintage elephant trunks.

Forum Member

But those elephant trunks were much easier to use in the smoke diver class.

Along those lines:

I've had a few get bumped before peer for "too low of a call volume." I have a department this year who prior to this year had yet to even hear of AFG, much less get an award.

13 calls in the first due in 2008. District of about 5 square miles and 400 people. They've been able to fund about 60% of their PPE on their own, but 40% of the FFs don't have anything decent. Really worried about this one.

Anyone have low low calls like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all I'm sure you will get past the computer i did last year with much lower numbers. What you need to do is increase you number in the narrative part by explaining that by awarding your dept this grant it will also be helping all the other fire dept you have automatic aid or mutal aid with. Then in you narritive you have had there call volumn when you help them, and add there population and square miles. We got award $20,000 last year for 4 scba's

Forum Member

The problem they are talking about here is getting past the computer. If they do not do that, no one will ever read the narrative to justify anything. I am also dealing with a department going for a vehicle with low call volume and low population who cannot get past the computer.
    Last edited by imafireman; 04-21-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added more

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Elephant trunks were also good for sticking in your pocket when the air ran low to keep playing...not that anyone would ever do such an unsafe thing...

Forum Member

Gotta do what you gotta do

Chiefmeyer:
    Check your PM box. just sent you some info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

thanks to all of you. i am thinking about going down to 6-8 paks and giving it a try ill just state it is not total solution but had to get cost bn down and only way i know to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefmeyer301 View Post
    thanks to all of you. i am thinking about going down to 6-8 paks and giving it a try ill just state it is not total solution but had to get cost bn down and only way i know to do it?
    Randy you wll shot yourself in foot doing that, beleive me. Give me a shout. New contact infomration so PM me through my profile and we will take another look and see if we can improve that competitive score for you.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

My FD has similar very low call volume. 2005 12 SCBA and 15 sets of TO gear and misc LDH. 2008 $298400 for CAFS tanker pumper. Pop approx 350 35mi2. I don't know why we made it thru but we did. Maybe our congressional district was due some pork. Maybe right phase of the moon. I prefer to think I wrote a good app and replacing an unbaffled milk truck tanker was a safety issue FG funded.

Don't shortchange what you need in an attempt to play the computer. I don't think anyone here has any more than a theory of how the thing "thinks" or we would be buying/reading the book. You can't play the game when you guessing what the rules are so just stick to real stuff, have a plan, write a good narrative, and trust the system works. Has for my FD and hundreds of others

If you're successful getting buy the computer with 4-6paks then you'll get past with a proper solution (as min 12ea). (My theory). If you to peer review then how do you logically nswer why are you going 1/2 assed with a partial solution? Do it right or don't bother.

SCBA include a refill plan (in your station/vehicle or at a neighbor)
    TO gear include rack/washer/dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    My FD has similar very low call volume. 2005 12 SCBA and 15 sets of TO gear and misc LDH. 2008 $298400 for CAFS tanker pumper. Pop approx 350 35mi2. I don't know why we made it thru but we did. Maybe our congressional district was due some pork. Maybe right phase of the moon. I prefer to think I wrote a good app and replacing an unbaffled milk truck tanker was a safety issue FG funded.

Don't shortchange what you need in an attempt to play the computer. I don't think anyone here has any more than a theory of how the thing "thinks" or we would be buying/reading the book. You can't play the game when you guessing what the rules are so just stick to real stuff, have a plan, write a good narrative, and trust the system works. Has for my FD and hundreds of others

If you're successful getting buy the computer with 4-6paks then you'll get past with a proper solution (as min 12ea). (My theory). If you to peer review then how do you logically nswer why are you going 1/2 assed with a partial solution? Do it right or don't bother.

SCBA include a refill plan (in your station/vehicle or at a neighbor)
    TO gear include rack/washer/dryer.
    Right on point neiowa! They shoot themselves in the foot sometimes trying to be cost conscious; the point is to have everyone compliant with what NFPA says. If they cut themselves short on being 100% compliant, they have defeated the purpose of the grant.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    Along those lines:

I've had a few get bumped before peer for "too low of a call volume." I have a department this year who prior to this year had yet to even hear of AFG, much less get an award.

13 calls in the first due in 2008. District of about 5 square miles and 400 people. They've been able to fund about 60% of their PPE on their own, but 40% of the FFs don't have anything decent. Really worried about this one.

Anyone have low low calls like this?
    Yes, We had 13 (total) calls in 2007, 3.4 sq mi of first due response area, 146 population. Were funded in round 9 in 2008 for 12 sets of structural and 12 sets of wildland PPE's. I did have one advantage. A nuclear power plant 3 miles away. An initial phone call to Kurt Bradley changed everything for our department and for my mutual aid. Just call Kurt Bradley or Brian Vickers once. Then get back here. It's a goldmine of information.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just an FYI as we're speculating, we wrote this one for Randy last year so already apprised of the situation. Just like to see the ideas fly so haven't mentioned it until now. 629 residents in 56 square miles is their area, 17 SCBA eligible seats, 19 FFs and growing. Things going against them are maybe 10 calls where SCBA might have been needed out of 50, including false alarms with 5 structure fires year before, 0 in 2006, 2 in 2005. Only 6 pre1997 packs now. I got dang near everyone else close to them in numbers passed the computer and all but 1-2 didn't fund. Still scratching my head over this one.

Thread Information