Forum Member

Default Tillercam Video of LACoFD Responding

Link Fixed

Just been messing around with mounting a camera on our Tillered Truck... I know it's nothing special but you can kinda get the idea of what it's like to ride in the Tiller box. Here is a link to the video..

Sit back relax and enjoy the ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfawm-HePjc
    Last edited by lacofdfireman; 04-24-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link

MembersZone Subscriber

seems to have been removed by youtube....
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Oh how I do miss the day's of running with Squad 33 while working at A.M.R. in Landscater, CA.

Mmmmm...Coaches wing's, Primo breakfast burrito's, wave at L.C.H. on the way by, Louies Burgers, past Lancaster Blvd, Essex House.

Load 'em up A.M.R.

Look's like you guy's were in 129's district? Nice vid...keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by AZFF25; 04-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Forum Member

Oh very nice!!
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Smile

very cool video. im from a town of about 5000 so we dont have to worry about any of that traffic problems like that! make it nice for response times.

MembersZone Subscriber

Daddy like tillers!!

Nice vid!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

FF-EMT

Thumbs up Tillercam Video

Thanks for posting such a great video! I always wondered what a run looks like from the tiller, now I know!
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Permanently Removed

LACoFD- Can you please post your videos at www.californiafirefighter.com

Thanks.

Forum Member

I wonder how many times the tillerman wished he’d had his own brake pedal or that we wasn’t the last through the intersection

Sure would be a Way Cool Ride!

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Only in California! Truck running red traffic signals, stop signs and in the opposite traffic lane. They are leaving themselves open for big law suits should they had an accident or hit someone! Had this truck done this in my city, the Driver and Officer would be on the carpet before the day was over!

FF-EMT

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Only in California! Truck running red traffic signals, stop signs and in the opposite traffic lane. They are leaving themselves open for big law suits should they had an accident or hit someone! Had this truck done this in my city, the Driver and Officer would be on the carpet before the day was over!
    Jonnee,
    Glad I don't work there

Lacofd,

I went back and watched the video again after reading the post above and wondered if it was just my imagination or is there no rearward facing LEDS on the lightbar attached to the tractor cab? Is that so the tillerman doesn't get blinded at night or other lowlight conditions or did I just not see them?

Still a Great Video,

Mark
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

No...not only in CA. That's the way it is in many departments, mine included. I'm not going to debate your driving rules vs others. They are what they are.

As far as lights facing the rear all they do is blind you at night and make it difficult for the tillerman to see. Many years ago we had strobes on the cab roofs of all rigs. The guys on every tiller, ten at the time, painted the backs of them black to prevent tiller blinding. There also were strobes next to the tiller seat and the tops and sides facing inward of those were painted too.

Permanently Removed

Your kidding right? Please remember that California is one of the more populated states and we sometimes need to do some alternative driving to get onscene. Remember, this isnt your one horse, mom and pop volunteer operation.

Also, the two major fire apparatus collisions we have seen on the national level did NOT take place in California, so dont worry about us, thank you.

Forum Member

I agree with what the others have said. Running in the opposite lane of traffic is a pretty common occurrence in many departments. There are ways to do all of those things safely and if you are following your departments SOP/SOG then you are covered! So what may work for you, may not work for someone else.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I'm simply outraged that you neglected to stop at the green lights...outraged, I say!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Only in California! Truck running red traffic signals, stop signs and in the opposite traffic lane.
    Nah, some of us in Virginia drive against traffic too.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Your kidding right? Please remember that California is one of the more populated states and we sometimes need to do some alternative driving to get onscene. Remember, this isnt your one horse, mom and pop volunteer operation.

Also, the two major fire apparatus collisions we have seen on the national level did NOT take place in California, so dont worry about us, thank you.
    Well my friend, I am not from a one horse, mom and pop department. In fact part of a large metro department with 7 large career and some with both career and volunteer members in the general area. We too have our traffic and quite often traffic being backed up at traffic signals. With the help of a opti com system this opens up the lane for the responding apparatus to get through. No I will never say that we haven't taken the 'third' lane and bypass the stopped traffic. In the old days, 1970's we did just that. Now days with the advent of more cars, traffic and people that do not hear or pay attention to an emegency vehicle(s) runing lights and siren, we have new SOP's to govern how apparatus is driven.

You have to understand that every firefighter isn't in California and have the nice wide streets and avenues as you guys have. We on the side of the country don't have the wide streets unless you are in the downtown part of DC where their streets are much wider than in other parts of that town.

Regardless on how you guys drive, we wish you good luck and a good response. We do it some what different on our side of the US.

As far as a major apparatus accident, knock on wood, we haven't one for sometime. Not wanting to be in any more as I have been in one that scared the bijeebies out of me when I had been on the job for about two years.

It isn't any fun.

Yes we have the usual scrapes and brusies that other vehicle(s) jump out on us and hit the side or a driver will catch a tree limb or utlity pole every now and then.

Forum Member

Excellent video Dave!

Tillers are awesome. But I can't believe that the captain didn't honk the horn at that first controlled intersection!!!
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Well my friend, I am not from a one horse, mom and pop department. In fact part of a large metro department with 7 large career and some with both career and volunteer members in the general area. We too have our traffic and quite often traffic being backed up at traffic signals. With the help of a opti com system this opens up the lane for the responding apparatus to get through.
    Well, it seems like you left out an important piece of information in your original post then. If you have opticom's, then you won't have to worry about trucks driving through red lights. So how about you get of your high horse and quit yer bitchin about how your department would never drive through red lights, if you have an opticom system that keeps you from having to drive through red lights to begin with....
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Well, it seems like you left out an important piece of information in your original post then. If you have opticom's, then you won't have to worry about trucks driving through red lights. So how about you get of your high horse and quit yer bitchin about how your department would never drive through red lights, if you have an opticom system that keeps you from having to drive through red lights to begin with....

Had you read my post in its entirely, you would have seen that back in the 1970’s we did what the guys do in California as the Utube video shows. Yes we went into the oncoming lane.

We have had the opticom system for about 20 years and yes the apparatus trips the signal control box and allows that vehicle a green signal to proceed.

Who is on whose high horse? We have rules and regulations, SOP’s/SOG’s that our department adheres to. In part it states that all apparatus on an emergency response shall come to a complete stop at all red traffic signals and stop signs, and can proceed when the other traffic has stopped yielding to the responding apparatus. This means that if an apparatus on a run comes to a traffic signal that is red and the opicom system has not changed that light or if no opitcom is connected to that signal, then the apparatus must come to a complete stop and proceed when the traffic has yield. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Having said that members who choose to violate them will be discipline accordingly. This means the Officer and Driver/Operator of any apparatus.

Being a Chief Officer and having companies in a Battalion I ensure that the Officers of the Companies are properly training their members in all safety and procedural guidelines.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Well my friend, I am not from a one horse, mom and pop department. In fact part of a large metro department with 7 large career and some with both career and volunteer members in the general area. We too have our traffic and quite often traffic being backed up at traffic signals. With the help of a opti com system this opens up the lane for the responding apparatus to get through. No I will never say that we haven't taken the 'third' lane and bypass the stopped traffic. In the old days, 1970's we did just that. Now days with the advent of more cars, traffic and people that do not hear or pay attention to an emegency vehicle(s) runing lights and siren, we have new SOP's to govern how apparatus is driven.

You have to understand that every firefighter isn't in California and have the nice wide streets and avenues as you guys have. We on the side of the country don't have the wide streets unless you are in the downtown part of DC where their streets are much wider than in other parts of that town.

Regardless on how you guys drive, we wish you good luck and a good response. We do it some what different on our side of the US.

As far as a major apparatus accident, knock on wood, we haven't one for sometime. Not wanting to be in any more as I have been in one that scared the bijeebies out of me when I had been on the job for about two years.

It isn't any fun.

Yes we have the usual scrapes and brusies that other vehicle(s) jump out on us and hit the side or a driver will catch a tree limb or utlity pole every now and then.

If we all had,”Nice wide streets and avenues" we wouldn't be driving tillers. Just because our driving style is aggressive and might be intimidating to some doesn't mean it is wrong.

This is how it is done out here in Cali.

FF-EMT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    If we all had,”Nice wide streets and avenues" we wouldn't be driving tillers. Just because our driving style is aggressive and might be intimidating to some doesn't mean it is wrong.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me, maybe a little agressive but not to the point where I would say it was wrong, I am in a fairly small town and don't deal with City traffic. I didn't real see anything wrong with the video that started this thread either, Thanks for sharing them Guys!!
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post

Seriously, and honestly. You are really proud of that?

Not that the guy from Va also pontificating is right. But seriously?

Half that video they were driving on the wrong side of traffic with NO traffic on the street on the proper side. Traffic on their side was YIELDING to them pulling to the right and they still stayed in the incoming traffic lanes.

Hey if you are proud of it, whatever. But it is videos like that, that allow certain other ******bags on these boards to pontificate worse than Jonee.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Seriously, and honestly. You are really proud of that?

Not that the guy from Va also pontificating is right. But seriously?

Half that video they were driving on the wrong side of traffic with NO traffic on the street on the proper side. Traffic on their side was YIELDING to them pulling to the right and they still stayed in the incoming traffic lanes.

Hey if you are proud of it, whatever. But it is videos like that, that allow certain other ******bags on these boards to pontificate worse than Jonee.
    Driving in the center is done for specific reasons. Not only are you easier to be seen by other drivers but it also allows you more room to react if needed. Both sides yield if you drive in the center.

Thread Information