Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Anyone Want To Move To Victoria BC - 911 Dispatchers?

Police seek dispatchers

Published: April 14, 2009 1:00 PM

Victoria police are hunting for people not easily rattled.

The department needs to fill two full-time police radio dispatcher positions.

“We get lots of calls and some of these calls are very intense,” Victoria police Sgt. Grant Hamilton said. “It is a tough job,”

Each year 50,000 911 emergency calls are received within the communication centre. Each 911 call is answered within an average of five seconds.

Applicants must complete the public safety communication program or have previous experience in a police communications centre.

Once hired, an individual will receive about two months of training before moving into the communication centre to work side-by-side with a trainer for two to four months.

“Our 911 communication centre currently employs 46 civilian staff in both permanent and casual 911 positions, making this the second largest section within the Victoria Police Department,” Hamilton said.

For more information, contact the department at 250-995-7654.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Beautiful city, nice and quiet (mostly), great local scenery and easy access to winter skiing, fishing and golfing all in the same day. There are not too many other places in the world where you can do that.

It takes a special person to do that job. My hat's off to anyone who gets hired!! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Police seek dispatchers

Published: April 14, 2009 1:00 PM

Victoria police are hunting for people not easily rattled.

The department needs to fill two full-time police radio dispatcher positions.

“We get lots of calls and some of these calls are very intense,” Victoria police Sgt. Grant Hamilton said. “It is a tough job,”

Each year 50,000 911 emergency calls are received within the communication centre. Each 911 call is answered within an average of five seconds.

Applicants must complete the public safety communication program or have previous experience in a police communications centre.

Once hired, an individual will receive about two months of training before moving into the communication centre to work side-by-side with a trainer for two to four months.

“Our 911 communication centre currently employs 46 civilian staff in both permanent and casual 911 positions, making this the second largest section within the Victoria Police Department,” Hamilton said.

For more information, contact the department at 250-995-7654.

editor@goldstreamgazette.com

Beautiful city, nice and quiet (mostly), great local scenery and easy access to winter skiing, fishing and golfing all in the same day. There are not too many other places in the world where you can do that.

Sure, but the draw back for any dispatcher is that they must know the city/county in which they are dispatching for. I have no idea what, where or anything about that area.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

After 20 years lifeguarding (15 as manager) and 5 years at call centres (IBM and Ministry of Attorney General), I'd love to be able to combine my two 'careers' and contribute to the community as a 911 Operator/Dispatcher. I'm a certified First Aid Instructor (Lifesaving Society, qualifies as OFA 1... perhaps would need more?) and a motorcycle instructor candidate with the Vancouver Island Safety Council.

After riding behind a guy who crashed with a potential spinal injury and being the one on the phone with 911, I think I could be a great asset to the team. The only thing I don't have is the Public Safety Communications Programme certification - where do I get that?

www.galls.com may help.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Sure, but the draw back for any dispatcher is that they must know the city/county in which they are dispatching for. I have no idea what, where or anything about that area.
    That doesn't seem to stop some of our dispatchers...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Wow, I thought it was only in my county......

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ya, district famil didn't seem to always been a "requirement" with the Nanaimo district, even after they absorbed dispatch duties for south Malahat/Mill Bay/Dunca/Shawnigan Lake districts, back in 2001/02. We had always received some really weird street names and locations before that, but it got worse when dispatchers who knew nothing at all about the south end got on the net.

As for where to find out about the comms course, you will need to find a comm college - Comosun College or maybe try UVic, they should have something.

Hey take it easy!!!!!!!!
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information