Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And jakes ..

I admitted it did take a little longer.

Very rarely did it matter.
    To YOU...it obviously didn't matter at all. It's not your stuff thats on fire, or your friends and family inside.

So why not take a little extra time stretching, think of the time you save when you put it away AFTER the damage is done.

I will give one thing to your credit...your selfishness is consistent through and through.

Forum Member

Ya jakes, that whooping 20 seconds.

The funny thing is the line from the reel could still be in service before the officer or senior man from the front seat was done with his 360.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one 1.75 150ft and one 1.75 200ft triple flatted and one 2.5 150 ft flat loaded preconected along with a 100ft rubber 1.75 front bumper trash line. we have four hundred feet 1.75 dead loaded in rear hose bed along with a skid unit 200ft 2.5 then gated wye and two 150ft 1.75. Also we carry 1000ft five inch and 1000ft 2.5 dead loaded. We also have two 100ft 1.75in hotel packs. And in the engineers compartment we carry two extra sections of 1.75 folded over and rolled so male and female end are together (donut roll). All of our preconnects have a three foot leader on it so there is a coupling right by the engineer so all he has to do is shut the line down unroll the hose and hook both ends up real quick. This is a lot faster than pulling dead hose from the back of the truck, and can be done by one person the engineer without leaving the pump panel. First in engine or quint goes to the fire second lays five inch into the first due engine first two lines come off the first due engine third and so on comes of second engine. We lay multiple supply lines for a second alarm or greater or if the IC see the need areas with bad water pressure. Sometimes with will lay a second supply line and have everything hooked up just not charge it. This works well for us but may not work well everywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Ya jakes, that whooping 20 seconds.

The funny thing is the line from the reel could still be in service before the officer or senior man from the front seat was done with his 360.
    Again...it's not your stuff and its not your family.

Just can't understand the logic behind doing something that takes LONGER when time and speed is critical just so save some time when it isn't.

And then I recall the selfish nature of your posts and it begins to make sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 100' of 1.75" CAFS with a 15/16" tip in twin donut rolls in the front bumper along with 150' 1.75" CAFS, 150' 1.75" water, and 200' 1.75" water off the side in the triple layer, all 3 with fog nozzles. Off the back we have 200' of 2.5" CAFS with a 1 1/8" tip that is also in a triple layer. As far as dead loads off the back we have 400' of 3" and 1200-1500' of 5". In the rear driver's side compartment we have 200' of 1.75" and 200' of 2.5" rolled.

Forum Member

Our Smeals and older Pierce engines: 2 - 150' 1 3/4" Crosslays - Triple Layer - Automatic Nozzle, 2 - 250' 1 3/4" Rear Preconnects - Flat Load - Automatic Nozzle, 300' 2 1/2" Rear Preconnect - Top 150' Triple Layer - Bottom 150' Flat Load - Break-Apart Nozzle.

New engines add 100' 1 3/4" Bumper Line - Automatic Nozzle, and Break-Apart nozzles on the 1 3/4" lines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Preconnect

Preconnect

1 3/4 line and both are 150 ft.

We use the triple lay and it is fast to deploy but a pain to repack. I have tryed to get the dept. to change but the dept is set on there ways. But I cant complain, it gets the job done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by losixtream View Post
    Preconnect

1 3/4 line and both are 150 ft.

We use the triple lay and it is fast to deploy but a pain to repack. I have tryed to get the dept. to change but the dept is set on there ways. But I cant complain, it gets the job done.
    I agree that the triple pack takes practice to load correctly, but I prefer it over the minuteman for the rapid deployment, especially if short-handed. I'll take the rapid deployment over ease of repacking. Having said that, we use the minuteman and I havn't seen a need to really push to change it.

Forum Member

On our engine we use the following:

Transverse beds
    250' 1-3/4" flat load, loops at 75' and 125', combo nozzle.
    200' 1-3/4", 100' flat, 100' Cleveland Load, combo nozzle

Rear beds
    200' 1-3/4" Minute Man combo nozzle
    150' wildland load, 50' 1-3/4" then 100' 1-1/2" w/smooth bore tip.
    2 x 100" 1-3/4" bundles (Cleveland Load)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EngineCo16 View Post
    On our engine we use the following:

Transverse beds
    250' 1-3/4" flat load, loops at 75' and 125', combo nozzle.
    200' 1-3/4", 100' flat, 100' Cleveland Load, combo nozzle

Rear beds
    200' 1-3/4" Minute Man combo nozzle
    150' wildland load, 50' 1-3/4" then 100' 1-1/2" w/smooth bore tip.
    2 x 100" 1-3/4" bundles (Cleveland Load)
    How do you like the functionality of the Cleveland load vs. your flat and minute man?

Default Pre connects

In my fire dept we use the cross loads. We keep 2 250ft length 1 3/4 hoses, one 150 length of 2 1/2 hoses. The cross load in my opinion is the fastest to pull off and it pulls easy. The reloading of it is completely easy and very simple.

I havent used the cleveland connect style but it doesnt seem from what i know about it is as simple as the cross load.

The amount of hose you ant for your preconnects is at your dept's discretion depending on the avg. location of a water sorce.

good luck. contact me for info on the cross loads if you are interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedicThorne View Post
    How do you like the functionality of the Cleveland load vs. your flat and minute man?
    Well each one has a different use. We have everything from homes 20' off the street back to 150' off the street. If the house is within 100' of the engine we'll pull the Cleveland Load. If we have an initial long stretch we can pull the 250 flat load and take a Cleveland bundle and extend it, but that's rare. The minute man is good if we have a lot of obstacles, plus it's a good overall line too.

I think the flat load is one of our favorites though, pulling off what we need if we need less than 200' feet.

Forum Member

My dept. usually only utilizes one attack engine, however, we always get at least 2 sources of water. Also any other engine that lays lines for the attack engine is staying at the hydrant, so in the event of a mechanical failure the attack engine becomes the attack manifold.

I know its not 100% safe, but for us its good enough. Outside of the pump shattering or some large catastrophic hole in the pump body, our method provides a back up. Even if that happens, we can kill the supply engine, slap a gated wye on it and have our hand lines going again very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    So extending hose lines in your department is a foreign concept? What if a section busts? You have to break down another preconnect instead of just rolling out a spare section? No reloading of lines on scene with clean, dry hose instead of the dirty, wet line you just used?

Call me crazy, but that is just plain dumb.
    My dept. doesn't carry much hose beyond what is in our bed or high rise packs. We have 100-150 feet of extra 1 3/4. I don't see the point, its nice to have to piece in, but space is at a premium. We have extra hose at the firehouse if we have to use our spare rolls on scene, but we couldn't repack our beds with fresh line. Call me crazy, but carrying a hundreds of feet of extra hose seems a little dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post

My dept. doesn't carry much hose beyond what is in our bed or high rise packs. We have 100-150 feet of extra 1 3/4. I don't see the point, its nice to have to piece in, but space is at a premium. We have extra hose at the firehouse if we have to use our spare rolls on scene, but we couldn't repack our beds with fresh line. Call me crazy, but carrying a hundreds of feet of extra hose seems a little dumb.
    must be nice to live in a black and white world where every fire is reached with preconnects.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 05-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Actually it is pretty nice.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    must be nice to live in a black and white world where every fire is reached with preconnects.
    Both my career and volly FD's are primarily pre-connect FD's. BUT the reality is they may not always work because of set backs, size of buildings, stuff parked in the way and who knows what else. Both have deadlay beds of hose for longer stretches.

We know the world is rarely all black and white and the shades of gray will eventually kick your *** if you don't prepare for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Both my career and volly FD's are primarily pre-connect FD's. BUT the reality is they may not always work because of set backs, size of buildings, stuff parked in the way and who knows what else. Both have deadlay beds of hose for longer stretches.

We know the world is rarely all black and white and the shades of gray will eventually kick your *** if you don't prepare for them.
    Exactly.

For the record, unless its a taxpayer, pretty much nothing in my first due would be easily or for the most part even possibly reached with a preconnect, so us carrying hundreds of extra feet of hose isnt exactly dumb.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Exactly.

For the record, unless its a taxpayer, pretty much nothing in my first due would be easily or for the most part even possibly reached with a preconnect, so us carrying hundreds of extra feet of hose isnt exactly dumb.
    thats why we have an adequate amount of hose in our hose beds. We just don't carry around a bunch of donut rolls in our compartments.
    Last edited by nameless; 05-21-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    thats why we have an adequate amount of hose in our hose beds. We just don't carry around a bunch of donut rolls in our compartments.
    I think you took GTs post alittle out of context, especially considering what and who it was in response to. Whether you have it rolled or deadbedded, having adaquate hose for apparently unforeseen circumstances (like short stretching the preconnect) is hardly a dumb idea, especially compared to attempting to pull lengths from another preconnect.

BTW, Ive personally used rolled sections of hose to replace burst lengths at fires, and Ive also done it with deadbedded hose. Guess which one was faster? Forward thinking, sure. Dumb? Hardly.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 05-22-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Forum Member

Default Preconnects

We gave up preconnects years ago, and have not missed them. Bulk beds of both 1 3/4" and 2 1/2" work great. This is especially true with our 3 member engine companies at incidents that would have been normaly out of reach of our old preconnects. No extending, just stretch another length or two.

Allows you to park in the tacticaly correct spot versus where the preconnects reach.

Thread Information