Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Grants

Forum Member

Default New to Grants

Our department is looking into replacing hoses, nozzles and getting a TIC and if possible getting new SCBA and extra bottles. Does anyone have any narratives to share that will cover these to help us out? Also if anyone has any hints or help please email me.

fishlarry@hotmail.com

Thanks

Forum Member

You may want to do some searches on this forum, and to search Brian's website for examples of successful narratives.

First things first: Welcome to the forum!
    Second don't plan on submitting a laundry list of all those different types of equipment and expect it to be funded. Pick a project that will be a complete solution to your greatest needs and go for those items. If you have airapcks that are older than 1994 then go for replacing them. This is a fairly expensive project and would be distracted by asking for hose nozzels and a tic, which are reletively cheap items when compared to SCBA's. Remember you have to get by the computer scoring first ,before anyone will even read your narrative and cost benefit of the feds funding your request.

As JD said read down through this forum thread and you will see a lot of discussion on what it takes to write a sucessfull application. Also download the program guidance and read it thououghly in order to understand the ground rules set by AFG. another thing is to not get others sucessful narratives and think that if you copy & paste it will make you a winner. Several reviewers have said they know when they see a copy of someone else app as they have read it several times and they will score it low. Write and tell your own individual depts story about why you need help from the program.
    Good luck

I am new at this, how many TIC can be granted per department?

Forum Member

Yes, Welcome. IslandFire is right. When you mix equipment of different priorities you lower the score of the highest prority item you need. Example, If you request Structural PPE's and throw into the same application, say flashlights you risk the entire application.

Now when I have tried to find a scoring of equipment officialy, there really is none and that is frustrating. You need to refer back to the program guidance on that.

Good luck

Smile Tic

Does anyone know how many TIC's a single department can apply for, is it one per station or one per department?

Quote Originally Posted by voteforme View Post
    Does anyone know how many TIC's a single department can apply for, is it one per station or one per department?
    If you are a small rural department go for one.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Start with what you need the most.

Forum Member

We have decided to go with hose as we don't have enough to equip 2 pumpers to NFPA. Can you put nozzles and hose adapters under the same section as hose?

Forum Member

you joined 6 years ago and have 2 posts? LOL

Yes hose & appliances /adapters are a good mix for a complete solution to a true need to meet NFPA requirements. Statutory compliance is a priority in the scoring matrix.

6 years & 2 post's + closet lurker

Of all the grants I've written, here's one I haven't done with this approach.
    We are trying to make a dept's engine compliant with NFPA 1901. I went and toured thier stuff and really, they need new hose, nozzles, playpipe and a deluge and Ladders.

(Hoses are non-compliant....ladders fail tests ect...)

Adding all together, the cost isn't significant....20k or so, but it sure looks alot like a shopping list due to the different number of items, that makes me a little nervous...

Anyone done one before with a large variety of things, all needed for the same project?

Just looking for some feedback on this.

Default hi from Ohio

Here in Ohio I note that quite a few recipients of grants are from well-off areas and not from more impoverished ones. Why the sense that there is some sort of disparity?

Forum Member

I echo what the others have said. Pick a project, and define a need. Some have succeeded with the laundry list approach, but as other have said, it is best to go on a project basis. The first year our department tried for a grant, we tried for a list of 10-15 items and we were denied. In 2007, we went for SCBAs only, and we succeeded. In 2008, we went for a cascade system, and succeeded. If you decide to go for SCBA, I can help you with a narrative. For help on hoses, appliances, etc, try these:

http://www.firegraphics.org/Grants/S...dStrykerFD.htm
    http://www.firegraphics.org/Grants/Stanley2004.htm
    http://www.firegraphics.org/Grants/FVFD2005.htm

FH Mag/.com Contributor

amery, done it on a few like that that were almost devoid of 1901 required equipment on older trucks. Now that they have the equipment replacement age to 10+ years it will help with lists like that of failing items. Hose, nozzles, fittings, and ladders won't be that bad to do, just avoid hand tools. Make a 'Fittings Package' and then list the stuff out in the box. It's such a low dollar amount on the total package shouldn't be an issue.

Thread Information