Forum Member

Default State Strategy and Technical Review

{State Strategy and Communications Technical Review}

(Each State will provide a representative to the AFG Program Office to conduct a technical
    review of peer-reviewed applications from the State’s perspective. This State review will
    focus on requests for CBRNE-related equipment or training and/or interoperable
    communications equipment or training. After the panel review process is complete, the
    designated State homeland security official will review the application to ensure that
    requests for communications systems conform to the State’s SCIP. The State
    representative will further certify that such requests are consistent with the State
    Homeland Security Strategy and do not duplicate or conflict with assistance already
    provided or imminent. If a State representative determines that an application is either
    inconsistent with the State strategy or duplicates the State’s assistance, that portion of the
    AFG application will not be funded.)

Yesterday I was visiting in person with every 'state guru' who designed and are in charge of our states SCIP relating to Radio Interoperability. In the PG it says every regional application needs to have 'pre-approval' from your state. Getting that pre-approval requires along with designing your own plan and system, locating who that one individual is who can give you that offical approval. I ended up in our militay and states emergency management agencies official underground bunker HQ, chasing the identity of who could give me not only pre-approval of our project as required, but to make sure that that pre-approval gets to the attention of the state representative to AFG mentioned above. In both cases none of my states gurus had any idea of any of the procedures. Now I have been communicating with some of these people for months, but getting the offical approval was like playing cat to somebodys mouse. Anyway I did get a phone call and an email giving me state approval to be able to insert into the narrative, but no one knows the identity of the appointed state representative to AFG. In fact they said they would never pay the expense of involved in that process. (That they know of of course).
    My question is, has anyone who has written a regional radio interoperabily application ever known who their appointed state rep to AFG was? Are there some states not required to have one? Is this just a process that is handled a bit differently within AFG?
    I would love whoever possibly gets my application in their hands to know I have state approval in advance other than just within the narrative.

Forum Member

"The bunker", thats the name of a bar I frequented in college, there were a lot of brain cells lost there as well.

Forum Member

My FEMA representative just now called and said. "That States are not required to send a representative. It is extended to them as a courtesy. If one is not designated, then the application proceeds as if approved by our states representative."
    Well doing all the legwork getting official approval is better than proceeding like I did have approval and end up having it bite me.

Listen 'Limeforever' when I entered that bunker which has only a 10ft by 12ft brick building on the surface and entered below and past the blast doors, the people were beyond nice and courteous. The immediate impression I got was of a group who didn't see much daylight or got much company. Almost like I was a delightful distraction for them. The scene from the movie Independence Day when the President enters area 51 was what came to my mind.

Forum Member

Talking

Jam :
    Your saga sounds very much like the adventure I went through a couple of years ago. I found that our states interoperable communications plan was written by a chief master sargent of the states air guard comm unit. He turned out to be an invaluable resource in chasing my way upward through the food chain until I ended up in the same type of underground bunker facility.
    There I sat down over coffee with several folks including the States Emergency management director, who is a reasonably famous retired Marine Corp Colonel. I met an incredible buch of very professional folks that take their jobs seriously and were very willing to help me get funded.

Glad to hear that your quest has been sucessful. Good luck in getting funded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Jam :
    Your saga sounds very much like the adventure I went through a couple of years ago. I found that our states interoperable communications plan was written by a chief master sargent of the states air guard comm unit. He turned out to be an invaluable resource in chasing my way upward through the food chain until I ended up in the same type of underground bunker facility.
    There I sat down over coffee with several folks including the States Emergency management director, who is a reasonably famous retired Marine Corp Colonel. I met an incredible buch of very professional folks that take their jobs seriously and were very willing to help me get funded.

Glad to hear that your quest has been sucessful. Good luck in getting funded.
    Yes Islandfire, almost identical. What I found out later yesterday was that no one in my state has made an AFG regional interoperability radio application before. So it was unfamiliar ground for them as far as dealing with an individual applicant chasing down approvals and pre-approvals. Even though I had been communicating with them, when it came down to one of them granting that approval officialy, they realized then that they had their roles reversed. Similar to when they had to get their SCIP approved by FEMA. That is the way they explained it. I guess I should be flattered to be the first, but would have been a hell of a lot happier if someone had broken this ground before me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Back in the 60's the feds funded a bunch of those underground shelters for each state, some are now used like Nebraska for their state emergency management, some have gone into private hands.

Unfortunately, many of them have been mangled. The doors are gone and
    an extra outside entrance added to the one in Nashville, In Nebraska the
    blast doors are inoperable, the alternate in TN is pretty much abandoned and may be in private hands now. At least one of the ones in NY is available for sale.

AT&T had a bunch of them, built a bit stronger, many of which are for sale if anyone wants one!

Just one of those tidbit things....

Thread Information