Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Earth Day in Canada

B.C. greenest province in Canada, PEI brownest, says Earth Day report card

Tue Apr 21, 10:02 PM
    By The Canadian Press

VICTORIA, B.C. - British Columbia is the greenest province in Canada while Prince Edward Island is the brownest, says a nationwide report set for release on Earth Day.

The first ever Green Provincial Report Card issued by the independent Corporate Knights group looked at 10 environmental categories, including greenhouse gases, green energy, water use, biodiversity and car dependency.

B.C. received a score of 69 per cent, good for a C+, while Ontario came in second at 67 per cent. The Northwest Territories was the only other region to receive the C+ designation, finishing at 66 per cent.

B.C. was tops when it came to green jobs, green buildings, organic food and energy efficiency, said Corporate Knights editor-in-chief Toby Heaps.

"Our hope is that this clear presentation of provincial eco-performance will be seized upon by leaders across Canada looking to ramp up their region's eco-resiliency," he said.

Although the report's authors claim their methodology did adjust for size of population and economy, Prince Edward Island came in dead last with a grade of F and a score of 32 per cent.

The province lagged behind due to what the survey's authors called its poor energy efficiency, high car dependency, extreme paucity of protected land, and a dearth of certified green buildings.

"The ability to seize green economic opportunities will be the fundamental driver for which societies rise and fall in the 21st century," Heaps said.

One spot above P.E.I. was Newfoundland-Labrador, which scored 38 per cent. New Brunswick came in just ahead at 40 per cent.

Manitoba and Quebec were the other two provinces to register grades of F.

When it comes to the latter, the authors said that result may be in contrast to the clean image often associated with La Belle Province.

"While Quebec's abundance of large hydro dams powered it to the pinnacle of carbon efficiency per unit of economic output, in the areas of biodiversity, water use, and sustainable forestry management, Alberta scored twice as high as Quebec," Heaps said.

Alberta picked up a grade of C-and a score of 55 per cent, just behind Nunavut, which came in at 56 per cent. The Yukon also registered a C-, scoring 57 per cent.

Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan both registered grades of D.

The report said research was conducted through a combination of online research and informal expert interviews, with the majority of data being collected from Government of Canada websites and reports."

Banned

The enviros won't be happy until there is no more human life on the planet. The mere fact that were are living biological beings means we will produce waste by-products that they call pollution. It used to be that being environmentally friendly and conscious was a good thing. Now they have become extreme left whack jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thats cuz most of the province is populated by a bunch of tree-huggers LOL

I took a healthy growler and used a 1/3 less toilet paper........does that count??
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I took a healthy growler and used a 1/3 less toilet paper........does that count??
    Only if you used a low-flush potty.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    The enviros won't be happy until there is no more human life on the planet. The mere fact that were are living biological beings means we will produce waste by-products that they call pollution. It used to be that being environmentally friendly and conscious was a good thing. Now they have become extreme left whack jobs.
    If recycling all my plastics, styrofoam, cardboard, newspapers, steel and aluminum cans and even aluminum foil and plastic bags makes me an envirowhacko... so be it.

Wifey and I have cut down our trash output at home to an average of 1 bag a week, reducing our contribution to the waste stream saving our community money.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    If recycling all my plastics, styrofoam, cardboard, newspapers, steel and aluminum cans and even aluminum foil and plastic bags makes me an envirowhacko... so be it.

Wifey and I have cut down our trash output at home to an average of 1 bag a week, reducing our contribution to the waste stream saving our community money.
    Thanks to the local area providing ultra-composting {any organic matter including table scraps, lint, leaves, shredded mail, etc.} as well as the usual recycling, Rick and I have cut our actual real trash down to about 1 pound per week. Even that would be less if the grocery stores wouldn't use styrofoam meat trays or deli wrappings.

I'm not really a tree hugger but it only makes sense to 'keep your litterbox clean'. Companies say it costs too much to go with more eco-friendly packaging or operating protocols but maybe if they stopped putting so much money into commercials to win back customers they've lost due to that same mentality and put it into making eco-changes, I believe they'd find it more profitable in the long run.

Even if you only recycle those weekend beer bottles, that's helping make a difference. It doesn't really take much effort.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

Nope that is common sense. I do the same. Although the recyclers comes every 2 weeks so sometimes I end up with sever la bags before they go out. Nope it's the whacko stuff like saving the rare frog, not cutting trees, can't put up cell towers or windmills above the tree line. Around here, they even have this concept of forever wild forests. The state owns over 3 million acres of forest land just to own it. They don't even harvest the logs. That is stupidity allowing that kind of waste. And my favorite is the Anthropogenic Global Warming. For the last 1 million years the earth has gone in to an inter-glacial period every 140,000 years. It's just the cycle repeating. Just 15,000 years ago place like Boston, NYC, Chicago were all under a sheet of ice 2 miles thick. Mankind is not causing it, it is all part of the natural events that take place. What the liberals don't tell you is that a couple million years ago the CO2 levels on earth were 7,000 ppm, so the 300 ppm we currently have is nothing. Plants life excels at 1200 ppm, but they don't tell you that either. All they do is play on peoples fear with their pessimistic attitudes of gloom and doom.

Thread Information