MembersZone Subscriber

Default FireFighter II ?????

What is the deal with this FireFighter II question. Last year they just asked you about FireFighter I. I am from New Jersey. We do not have a recognized FireFighter II training program in the state. How am I to answer this question?

"2. What percentage of your active firefighters are trained to the level of Firefighter II?
    3. If you answered less than 100% to either question above, are you requesting for training funds in this application to bring 100% of your firefighters into compliance with NFPA 1001?

If you’ve indicated that less than 100% of your firefighters are trained to the Firefighter II level and you are not asking for training funds in this application, please describe in the narrative section of this application your training program and your plans to bring your membership up to Firefighter II."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    What is the deal with this FireFighter II question. Last year they just asked you about FireFighter I. I am from New Jersey. We do not have a recognized FireFighter II training program in the state. How am I to answer this question?

"2. What percentage of your active firefighters are trained to the level of Firefighter II?
    3. If you answered less than 100% to either question above, are you requesting for training funds in this application to bring 100% of your firefighters into compliance with NFPA 1001?

If you’ve indicated that less than 100% of your firefighters are trained to the Firefighter II level and you are not asking for training funds in this application, please describe in the narrative section of this application your training program and your plans to bring your membership up to Firefighter II."
    If you don't have Firefighter II in your state, wouldn't that mean that the firefighter program you do have simply covers both? Therefore, I would think you would answer 'yes' that your guys ARE trained to that level.

But that's just a guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post

I may be having 'anomea' (senior moment), but I can't remember that question being asked for FF II. FF1 yes. I just tell them the truth. That I have x number of FF's in varying stages of achieving that level in the narrative.
    Hope I didn't mess up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Check your state courses against NFPA 1001 online

I believe each state has setup their training to follow NFPA 1001 in some manner. In NY, we have only had Firefighter 1 and 2 for a couple years. FF2 has not even been offered yet in our county and FF1 is a prerequisite. Three or four old courses prior to FFI and FF2 where the equivalent, Essentials of firefighting, Hazmat, Initial Fire Attack, Firefighter Safety & Survival and maybe something else? Just answer honestly with the % and explain in the narrative how your state handles the NFPA 1001 equivalent to FF1 and FF2. They said last year it didn't count against you either way. It was just to promote training and try and get everyone to the minimum level.

MembersZone Subscriber

NJ does have a FFII certification.

http://www.nj.gov/dca/dfs/ff2form.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you are right. NJ has recently put FF II on the books but it is still in the early stages. I only know of one fire academy in the state that has offered FF II, even before the state recognized it. The fact of the matter is that a very small percentage of firefighters have FF II. Most have taken a bunch of classes the probably equal it but not the actual class. They are actually allowing people to challenge the test and get the certification now. I believe you have to have some qualifications to do so. I guess the real question is how do I handle this in the grant? Do I put in for training funds for FF II to try to bring everyone up to the level? I would assume it will hurt me if I say that 50% of my FF's don't have FF II and I put no training in to handle it. The other problem is I may have a problem finding an academy within decent range to give the training.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on your department. As volunteer FF1 (or equivalent) is currently the goal. FF2 (or equivalent) is required of all career FFs to be on the job. Despite the question not wording it that way, the question's intent is FF1 certification or equivalent. When PA got IFSAC in mid-90s there was a lot of grandfathering based on other classes taken. Had enough hours in, all they had to do was the test to get the paperwork for FF1. FF2 was skills tests plus written. Of course in 94 when I took it, FF1 was 106 hours and now it's 300. Slightly different time commitment there. All they want to know is if we're not there is it being worked on, and at those hours it's a long time to get to the cert point unless you run the online/DVD training angle. Which could of course be a regional project also...

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's one reason I'm glad I'm in a place like Missouri. The state decided some time ago to combine the two curriculum into one. As they're taking at the same time, it eliminates the duplication between the two levels, resulting in less hours. I think it's about 360 hours for the combined class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF I training narrative

Hey Guys. Reaching out for help with narrative for vol dept wanting NFPA 1001 training to be tied with a grant for fire station re-hab/replace when the $210 million portion of recovery act money comes later this year. I'm new to this stuff as well, but I'm one to help wherever and whenever I can. Let me know if you have a grant to share and I hope someday to be able to give as much as I receive. email: firedawg_eng3@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

If I put in my narrative that all active members are required to certify to the level of FF2 will this satisfy the request of the outline to bring all members to certification.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They want a plan if you aren't, so they want something about training process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Just need some clarification. We are a volunteer department in NY. All of our new firefighters are required to complete FF1 within one year, before FF1 they were require to complete essentials. Does NY have FF2 or does its FF1/Essentials fill the requirements?

Thanks for any assistance!

Forum Member

The old essentials course, combined with Initial attack and pump operator course were considered equivilant to the New FF1 course when it first came out, FF 2 is above the 1 requirement in both NYS and and NFPA 1001. You can take the FF2 course separately or provide equivelancy training to the NFPA requirement as long as it is documented.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking NY be carefull with FF1 - FF2

check OFPC webpage for training, says something about modeled after but not 1001 because of lack EMS training ( I think, haven't looked in a while) I also believe you need more than essentials and another class to be equivalent. I know that the eqiv. is spelled out on the OFPC site.

Good luck to everyone

MP

Thread Information