Smile Tempest V Leader fan/blower

I was just wondering which fan/blower you guys prefer if you have tried both types.
    I know Tempest tend to go for a sealing fan and although Leader have the same they have one on the market at the moment that can create a seal for the most from 4 & 6m away from the inlet.The leader one also will tilt downwards 10' which I see as a tremendous bonus for dealing with basement and subterranean incidents.

Your comments gents are very much appreciated.

Jonners

Default Tempest

Hi Guys,
    I thought this topic would have raised a few replies but it seems I got that wrong. Is it that you guys only use the Tempest and have no working knowledge of the Leader? If so I understand but if there are any of you out there from over seas from the US I would value your opinions.

Regards jonners

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink p-pressure

jonnes we are a small rual dept in illinois and have had our pos press fan 10 yrs now and it works like a charm when used correctly. dont even remember mfg now but was made in idaho i think. when we first got ours the schools had just consolidated and the one in our town was to be demolished. it was three stories and aprox 120 long x 8o deep. we got them to let us use smoke canisters and do scba training in it. at the end we opened one set of double doors and placed the fan back 10-15 ft. in aprox 4-6 min the officers on third floor reported that they had pressure venting at the window and was clearing smoke quickly. over sized job for one 24" fan but we learned what it could do. three months later on actual fire found out how it could make a mess also. training need to know when to use it and when to leave it on thetruck.
    Randy Meyer Chief S.T.F.P.D.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tempest and Supervac are well regarded in the US in PPV fans. Supervac has -10degree feature. Both do a lot of advertising and all the major distributors carry them.

You might also look at a Ventry. will go -20degrees, is only fan I know of that has legs so you can get up above the level of a porch etc. or level on uneven terrain. Aircraft prop is very high output for the given engine/motor hp. Smaller manufacturer and has a decently price also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Tempest and Supervac are well regarded in the US in PPV fans. Supervac has -10degree feature. Both do a lot of advertising and all the major distributors carry them.

You might also look at a Ventry. will go -20degrees, is only fan I know of that has legs so you can get up above the level of a porch etc. or level on uneven terrain. Aircraft prop is very high output for the given engine/motor hp. Smaller manufacturer and has a decently price also.
    thanks neiowa that is the one we have and have had very good luck with it. the ventry fan works for all terain use. we even used it three yrs back on a very still 4th july to clear the smoke from mortar tubes to be able to see for loading them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by chiefmeyer301; 05-06-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: state brand
    Randy Meyer Chief S.T.F.P.D.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I was just wondering which fan/blower you guys prefer if you have tried both types.
    I know Tempest tend to go for a sealing fan and although Leader have the same they have one on the market at the moment that can create a seal for the most from 4 & 6m away from the inlet.The leader one also will tilt downwards 10' which I see as a tremendous bonus for dealing with basement and subterranean incidents.

Your comments gents are very much appreciated.

Jonners
    Don't ever wonder, just ask away.

These are just another tool in the tool box. Tempest is the most that we have but we do have other brands. They get used at each working job.

Sometimes a smoke ejector is all that you need or even nothing at all!

Open a few windows and let the structure self ventilate.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Default Tempest v Leader fan/blower (and VENTRY)

Hello, Jonners. My name is Joan and I do the marketing for J. Neils Enterprises, Inc. We manufacture VENTRY PPV fans. I came across this thread and appreciate the opportunity to add a few thoughts. I'm sorry it's so late!

The major fan brands utilized by fire/rescue are Ramfan (by Euramco), Supervac, Tempest, Tele-Aire, Unifire, Groupe Leader and VENTRY. Iím not sure on availability world-wide of each brand, but these are the main brands, I believe.

On tilt: All brands include models with Honda gas/petrol-powered engines. Honda GX-series engines have low-oil shut-off features that will kick in if tipped more than 20 degrees. Besides our fans, I donít know to what degree other fans are adjustable, but all are ultimately limited by the motors.

Let me offer that other important considerations when choosing PPV fans should include the quality of the air stream, size, weight, noise level and carbon monoxide levels. By far the most important feature, however, is air volume. (For coordinated attack, not just post-knock-down mop-up, this is a given, per instructors/researchers in ventilation.) Beware that fans with higher horsepower do not necessarily push more air! Air volume is usually expressed as cubic feet per minute (cfm) or meters cubed per second (m3/s), and can be measured by thrust.

Most of the important specs are available on the manufacturersí websites so customers can choose the best fan for their needs with just a little research. No matter what brand is ultimately chosen, positive pressure ventilation is an incredible, potentially life-saving tactic when used appropriately with education/training. Thank you for having this discussion and for letting me take part. (And thanks to Chief Meyer for mentioning VENTRY fans.)

Be well, ~ Joan Neils, J. Neils Enterprises, Inc.

Thread Information