Forum Member

Default questions for the pros

Wondering if we were to go for two different rescue "venues" if that would be automatically thrown out in the grant. We are thinking about going for a grain bin rescue class and some rescue equipment, and also a heavy extrication(farm machinery,bus,semi) class and some equipment.

For the equipment side we were thinking a k-12 saw, some ropes and rigging for the actual rescue from a grain bin. rubber/plastic cribbing for the heavy extrication class. 2 years ago we received extrication tools, struts and air chisel/impact set on the grant. We are just looking to add to our training and tools to get the job done.

Thanks for your help!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you have the incidents and don't have the stuff or the training then it's a good plan. It's all under the rescue heading so shouldn't be an issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Contact Dan Neenan at National Education Center for Agricultural Safety (NECAS)

http://www.nsc.org/necas/index.aspx

They already have the training you need. Gov't funded and likely at minimal/no cost to you.

Can then concentrate on the equipment you need. Add in set of bags.

Forum Member

Do any of you guy’s have an insight into when they will be finished with the remainder of 2008 awards. We are still in limbo with no 1199a update, no questions and no DJ letter for our operations application. I realize this is a good thing as I am told by the help desk but I am literally going nuts trying to get a 2009 application together.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have 6 people in the same spot. Plan A is it gets funded with 2008 so we have a 2nd app designed and written for 2009. If it doesn't, then resub the 2008 since it obviously scored well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LRCHIEF46 View Post
    Do any of you guy’s have an insight into when they will be finished with the remainder of 2008 awards. We are still in limbo with no 1199a update, no questions and no DJ letter for our operations application. I realize this is a good thing as I am told by the help desk but I am literally going nuts trying to get a 2009 application together.
    Glad I'm not the only one in this situation. As I typically don't get app started until a couple days of deadline not sweating it to much but makes one wonder what the heck is going on with the FG. I've used them many time as the one example, outside of the military, of a dedication to performance. Can't, in good faith, do so for the last couple of years. They've gone FED and likely only get worse. Always happens the Fed Gov't infects anything they touch.

MembersZone Subscriber

For bus rescue talk to your local school bus company and when they plan on replacing their old buses. We were able to get one donated to us and we found that a school bus isn't as easy as we thought to get into through any way except the known exits.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Thread Information