Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rescue101;1058653 Tony,you gonna be in Harrisburg? T.C.[/QUOTE]
    He's been keeping a remarkably low profile lately. Short leash?

Forum Member

=Rescue101;1058653 Tony,you gonna be in Harrisburg? T.C.
    He's been keeping a remarkably low profile lately. Short leash?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    Years ago, mid 80's, Boston Fire melted about 4 feet off the tip of one of their E-One ladders.
    I bet the story you are repeating changed over 20 some years. Boston firefighters had to abandon a rig that was set up for ladder pipe operations, at a haz mat fire I believe, the fly section was damaged but didnt melt. I attached a photo of the fire.

Steel guys like steel and aluminum guys like aluminum. Whatever the choice, everyone carries aluminum ground ladders though. Well, except maybe some depts on the west coast who use wooden ladders. But they wear helmets that look like flower pots too!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by firepiper1; 05-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Sam,I think they got his "antibark"collar turned up,I'm not so sure on the leash,he busts those.Kinda cute in his spiked collar though,hehe T.C.

I think most people are missing the point. Pierce could give a damn about what you think of their apparatus. They always sell whatever they can make. That is why the aluminum ladder and the aluminum tower is now in their catalog. It is called market share. If they think they can move into the E-One and Sutphen market by engineering a new product, they will do it. You can love them or hate them but they will always turn a profit and keep the Oshkosh stockholders happy.

I think most of the Pierce haters are from departments that can't afford them, and that is fine. Use what you like, use what you can repair, use what you have good service with.

We use Pierce because the factory is only 100 miles away and I have 3 service centers within 40 miles. One is open 24 hours a day. I also have a mobile service truck that takes care of 95% of our problems in our station without taking the vehicle out of service for more than an hour. 99% of our problems are not with Pierce engineered parts but with aftermarket vendors such as generators, lights, etc.

I was told by them that they still believe the steel ladders and towers are much stronger and carry loads better than the aluminum product. They had to weld in a lot of beefy aluminum to get the same load ratings. But you have your choice and they will give you all the data required to make your own decision.

I agree with your assessment.That's why the INNOVATOR of the Pierce steel platform is building ours.That would be Smeal for the uninformed. Can't get any interest from P on our last two projects.They don't have a nearby servicecenter anyway. If you can't draw any interest on a Million dollar project what do you have to do to get it? I don't think their product is enough better that I'm going to lose a wink of sleep over it. I'm reasonably certain WE COULD have afforded a Pierce, but I'm quite sure the Smeal will do the job we built it to do. T.C.

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I agree with your assessment.That's why the INNOVATOR of the Pierce steel platform is building ours.That would be Smeal for the uninformed. Can't get any interest from P on our last two projects.They don't have a nearby servicecenter anyway. If you can't draw any interest on a Million dollar project what do you have to do to get it? I don't think their product is enough better that I'm going to lose a wink of sleep over it. I'm reasonably certain WE COULD have afforded a Pierce, but I'm quite sure the Smeal will do the job we built it to do. T.C.
    Isn't the Smeal dealer/service in CT. which is further than the P dealer/service center.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    I think most of the Pierce haters are from departments that can't afford them, and that is fine. Use what you like, use what you can repair, use what you have good service with.
    Like we and so many others keep saying, Pierce builds a truly decent truck. And Pierce was the LOW bidder on ours. But they bid on what they wanted to sell us, not what we asked to have built. Another company, also a quality builder, was second lowest, but same story. So we went with the lowest (and most) RESPONSIVE bidder, TOYNE.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 05-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Reliance you would be correct.But they come to us. Before we purchased we talked to a bunch of Smeal owners in state. NOT ONE had any service issues with this dealer. T.C.

Reliance

Reliance you would be correct.But they come to us. Before we purchased we talked to a bunch of Smeal owners in state. NOT ONE had any service issues with this dealer. T.C.
    Thank You. How far from Bar Harbour or Portland are you.

Bar harbor,couple hrs.Portland,45 min EAST. My Boss(Chief)is a Lt. in Portland. T.C.

Reliance

Bar harbor,couple hrs.Portland,45 min EAST. My Boss(Chief)is a Lt. in Portland. T.C.
    Thank you now if the price of gas drops the CAT would be cheap enough to make a crossing

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    I think most people are missing the point. Pierce could give a damn about what you think of their apparatus.

{thats exactly their problem}

{Money has never been the problem. Getting what WE want built has been the issue from them}

We use Pierce because the factory is only 100 miles away

{ you're close enough to have koolaid on tap & can run up regularly with your prayer rug to appleton}

I was told by them that they still believe the steel ladders and towers are much stronger and carry loads better than the aluminum product. They had to weld in a lot of beefy aluminum to get the same load ratings. But you have your choice and they will give you all the data required to make your own decision.
    {but if they want to keep the other quality manufacturers from selling the aluminum aerial market out from under them they need to be competitive}

Forum Member

hOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR THE "KOOL-AID " DRINKERS TO SAY THAT STEEL IS OUTDATED?

PLEASE don't tell me steel is outdated,I just bought one,hehe T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 05-22-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Forum Member

Default Ladders???

While I am a FAN of the E-One aerial product, I have had enough with everyone having an opinion on which is better...

Is it safe to assume that anyone that believes that steel is superior would most likely have a 24' steel ground ladder? An Steelo-Lite as opposed to Alco-Lite?

Come on people...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JE4935 View Post
    While I am a FAN of the E-One aerial product, I have had enough with everyone having an opinion on which is better...

Is it safe to assume that anyone that believes that steel is superior would most likely have a 24' steel ground ladder? An Steelo-Lite as opposed to Alco-Lite?

Come on people...
    Good point.... Hell look at the stresses placed on the air frame of a 747...and it's all aluminum.
    With Alum. you need more "pieces" to get the same load rating as steel, but at a fraction of the weight. So you can build bigger higher ladder sections and not compromise the load rating and or intergrity becasue you have the "weight" to play with using the lighter material.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

My azz is only 24' up on aluminum.It's 100' on Steel with the appropriate equipment to lift it not armstrong. Steel is MUCH easier to repair than aluminum AFTER it's been in service awhile. If you like aluminum ladders (aerial)buy 'em,they're good product. But steel aerials have proven themselves over a LONG Fire service career.And OBVIOUSLY you've never thrown an old Ironwood double truss ground ladder which weighs about the same as steel.

Forum Member

Default Steel is proven... to hit the ground!

Yeah steel is well proven to hit the ground hard. How many aluminum aerials have had STRUCTUAL failures? How many documented steel failures does it take? I am not talking about tip-overs or hydraulic system failures, I am talking actual steel failure.

Forum Member

I can easily replace my aluminum 24' ground ladder for $300.00 or so if it happens to get exposed to some intense heat.

Now...my 100' platform is another story.

I have to agree with 101, 24' is much different than 100'.

Thread Information