Forum Member

Default Pierce Unveiled 100' Aluminum Platform @ Fdic

Was at FDIC and Pierce had a 100' Rearmount Aluminum Platform on an Arrow XT chassis. Had to take a double take as it was right next to EONE"S booth.

Forum Member

Talking

P with an aluminum ladder platform ??? Say it isn't so!
    Maybe they WERE wrong in the press releases stating that aluminum was unsafe.

Forum Member

Cool

has hell froze over?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Anyone ELSE's aluminum is unsafe. Pierce has their aluminum supplier mix in a little of the powder concentrate into the molten aluminum when they produce it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking E-One Clones

Just got back from the FDIC. Man what a bunch of walking. Getting to old for this. It was hard to tell where the E-One booth started and ended! On one side was a Rousenbauer clone of the Bronto, and on the other side was a Pierce clone of the E-One 100' rear mount platform. Why Pierce even had a clone of the E-One reception desk that looks like the front of an engine. But I know, Pierce really invented it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    You know...its funny.... when we were in the R&D phase of our new ladder we spoke with everyone...Pierce sent in some "Big Wigs" to try and tell us how their product was better than everyone elses. Already having an E-One ladder they keyed in on telling us how much more superior steel was.....now here they are with an Aluminum Tower. Guess they'll be adding another flavor of Kool-Aid......Lemon
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Wow a piece (opps meant Pierce) aluminum ladder??? The dept I was with a few years ago was looking at a new truck and Pierce bent over backwards saying how the aluminum ladder would kill FF's because it was unsafe. Things that make you go hummmmm????

MembersZone Subscriber

E-One building the ladders for Pierce? Big P (or Oshkosh) apparently is rocky financial ground. Has to cut into new in house product development.

Hell most would certainly have to freeze over before they allowed extruded alum ladders to be made in their plant.

Forum Member

Did anyone of you happen to snap any pics of this ladder?

Forum Member

Default Picture of ladder.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the bucket.

Forum Member

Van, it's on their(Pierce's) website.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Anyone ELSE's aluminum is unsafe. Pierce has their aluminum supplier mix in a little of the powder concentrate into the molten aluminum when they produce it.
    Anyone wanna take odds on when the Kool-Aid Brothers will come on here and chastise me for this comment (even though Pierce had a history of absolute defiance of aluminum aerials up until a few years ago?)

Forum Member

Van, it's on their(Pierce's) website
    Thanks, I went there right after posting and found it myself. The waterway on the side makes sense, to prevent damaging it anyways. I know their steel aerials are built at another factory, does anyone know if the aluminum versions are built by the same factory?

Forum Member

I was down there too and saw the mystical aluminum ladder. What a crock, I was laughing at it when I saw it and a Pierce rep asked what I was laughing at...I told him I was laughing at Pierce for eating their own words. He got the blank look on his face and I said I remember when Pierce said aluminum ladders were crap and steel was the only ladder safe enough for today's strenuous firefighting. He got a ****ed off look on his face and left. Also did anyone see the man lift powered by the drill at the rear of the Contender chassis. How fitting was it that the lift rose to the exact height of the rear hose bed. When asked if this was an option to safely remove the hose during a fire, yep you guessed it, it ****ed off another rep.

Pierce one "R" away from a Piece

Forum Member

Here's one of the bucket. Somebody was saying its the same bucket they use on the Skyarm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

interesting idea with the side waterway. Seems like the platform has less of a problem with hitting the waterway than the straight sticks, but still a good idea

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by commack95 View Post
    Here's one of the bucket. Somebody was saying its the same bucket they use on the Skyarm
    I flew a SkyArm last week, and that does appear to be the same awkwardly shaped SkyArm bucket on the aluminum aerial.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default Been done

Not sure of the exact dates, maybe someone with more knowledge than I have can provide, but in the mid 70's American LaFrance (the original ALF) introduced the Water Chief. It supplied the tip mounted monitor with two waterways, one mounted on each side of the ladder, outside. Everything old becomes new again at some point.

Forum Member

The factory rep said they were originally going to do it in a midmount but they sell more of the reamounts. He also said there's really no difference in weight between the steel and aluminum.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by commack95 View Post
    The factory rep said they were originally going to do it in a midmount but they sell more of the reamounts. He also said there's really no difference in weight between the steel and aluminum.

Would that be standard aluminum, or Pierce aluminum?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    interesting idea with the side waterway. Seems like the platform has less of a problem with hitting the waterway than the straight sticks, but still a good idea
    And of course Pierce will claim that they "invented" it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I flew a SkyArm last week, and that does appear to be the same awkwardly shaped SkyArm bucket on the aluminum aerial.
    It actually looks like the first decently planned bucket Peirce has mounted. It has angled corner with angle faced entry doors where most of their previous buckets were rectangular and had a flat face. This one has a three sided lip edge.

I know a certain well respected consultant has been spending a bunch of time in Wisconsin, and I'm sure he had no bones about pointing out previous flaws, maybe they listened to the needs of the end-users instead of telling us we need it because it's a Peirce. Nice bucket, smaller footprint for outriggers, sidemount waterway? The side waterway has always been an FDNY spec so put these features on a MM and maybe they make a play?

In all I'm impressed. The old steel vs. aluminum line was all about marketing and selling trucks. While salesman will always try to market their products using whatever they can, it's too bad they were such d*cks about it. Kinda funny now when they can't just laugh and admit their argument was sales hype. Instead they look like arrogant pr*cks when they refuse to acknowledge their old "aluminum kills" line.

MembersZone Subscriber

Think we should mail them a box of beer/pop cans?

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Think we should mail them a box of beer/pop cans?
    got my vote

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1213 View Post
    got my vote
    Make sure you include a few OLD rusted out steel cans too
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Thread Information