Forum Member

Default military/veteran preference for national guard.

I recently tested and made it to an oral interview but maybe not far ebough to get to a chiefs interview. I am a member of the national guard and have more than what they are asking for in certs and experience. They give 5 points for veterant but I was told I dont get the points for national guard unless I have been deployed. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this situation. If I got these preference points Im guessing Ill jump up on the list.
    Let me know If you know some tricks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashncole View Post
    I recently tested and made it to an oral interview but maybe not far ebough to get to a chiefs interview. I am a member of the national guard and have more than what they are asking for in certs and experience. They give 5 points for veterant but I was told I dont get the points for national guard unless I have been deployed. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this situation. If I got these preference points Im guessing Ill jump up on the list.
    Let me know If you know some tricks.
    There are really no tricks, either you are eligible or you are not. Each dept sets their own standards for what they will accept for points, so check what it states about points. Sometimes a person has to have completed an enlistment and has an Honorable discharge, also included is service during certain time periods.

For Guard, if it states you have to have been deployed, then that is what the requirements are. When it comes to points just being a member of the military does not mean you are eligible for points.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Thread Information