Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ultra High Pressure pumps

At FDIC saw at least 3 manufacturers of skid with 1200-1400psi pumps. Typically for Gator/Ranger ATV applications. One I spent some time looking over was 1200psi @ 20gpm. Co apparently has contract to supply 90+ pickup skids for the Air Force for wildland.

I know of FD using pressure washer pumps for wildland on ATV.

What feedback or use info anyone have on use of such? Compared to standard type 100psi miniskids.

Forum Member

We are looking at a 3.5 gpm @ 1500psi pump with foam for our Ranger 6X6 to replace a 10 gpm @ 400 psi pump. I also would like any feedback from anyone with some experience with high pressure wildland pumps. Thanks.

Brad

MembersZone Subscriber

There are some departments locally that utilize these pumps on their skids. I don't know what kind/brand of pump they are, but I know the company they're buying them from that's putting them on their skids. They have what's much like a car-wash wand for a nozzle.

Every department I know that has one loves it. The most of our fires are grass or hardwood leaves, so the high pressure allows the water to "blow" through the fuel and get the water in deep, while using less water doing it (I think they flow <4 gpm).

I don't know what kind of fires you're going to be using it on (is there anything but corn, beans, and hogs up there? ), but from what I know of Iowa, it'd be something you can use.

MembersZone Subscriber

The blowing it apart was the sales pitch. But my concern was if you're just blasting embers all over.

20gpm actually isn't much less than we're probably getting out of the booster line on our wildland.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    The blowing it apart was the sales pitch. But my concern was if you're just blasting embers all over.

20gpm actually isn't much less than we're probably getting out of the booster line on our wildland.
    If you were dealing with heavier fuels (logs, limbs, etc) I might worry about it, but for the most part the embers get knocked down with the spray. It's not so much you're blowing the debris like a blower, as you're using the pressure to get deeper into the fuel.

I don't know where the 20 came from, but the ultra-high pressure pumps I've seen are less than 4 gpm. They'd use 1/5th the water a 20 gpm nozzle will and will do just as good of a job, from what I've seen.

Forum Member

Catch 22,

Thanks. That is the info I was hoping to hear.

Brad

Forum Member

We voted to purchase a 3.5 gpm @ 1500 psi pump tonight. I'll post how it works when we get it up and pumping. We are putting the pieces together ourselves so there will be some trial and error getting the foam settings figured out but we are saving about $600 to $800 over buying a "fire" pump package.

neiowa, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Brad

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bowbreaker View Post
    We voted to purchase a 3.5 gpm @ 1500 psi pump tonight. I'll post how it works when we get it up and pumping. We are putting the pieces together ourselves so there will be some trial and error getting the foam settings figured out but we are saving about $600 to $800 over buying a "fire" pump package.

neiowa, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Brad
    Good luck with your project Brad. It sounds like something our rural dept. could use. Please keep us informed with details and pics. if possible.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    If you were dealing with heavier fuels (logs, limbs, etc) I might worry about it, but for the most part the embers get knocked down with the spray. It's not so much you're blowing the debris like a blower, as you're using the pressure to get deeper into the fuel.

I don't know where the 20 came from, but the ultra-high pressure pumps I've seen are less than 4 gpm. They'd use 1/5th the water a 20 gpm nozzle will and will do just as good of a job, from what I've seen.
    Mfg I was looking at during FDIC is HMA Fire www.hmafire.com

20gpm 1400psi

Forum Member

The HMA Fire units are nice looking but the 22 gpm is too much for a small water tank on the Ranger. We have a 68 gal water tank on our Ranger with a 10 gpm pump and are going to a 3.5 gpm pump to save water. Also premixing foam in the water tank does not work for us as our fires tend to require several refills of the water tank and the foaming makes a mess and slows us down during refills.

This is just what works best for us.

Brad

Thread Information