Thread: Trade Time

Forum Member

Default Trade Time

Both the bases I have ever worked for have allowed people working in the same job field to trade time with one another (I.E. firefighter for firefighter or captain for captain.) Our payroll dept just came down and mandated that if we are going to trade time with someone it must only be done in 24 hour blocks. My question to the group is, does anyone know where to find the language that gives us the right/privilege to trade time with another firefighter and if there is something in OPM that allows it does it make stipulations that it must be an entire shift? My last base would allow trades for 2 hours if you want but my current base just denied a request for a 12 hour trade. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate View Post
    Both the bases I have ever worked for have allowed people working in the same job field to trade time with one another (I.E. firefighter for firefighter or captain for captain.) Our payroll dept just came down and mandated that if we are going to trade time with someone it must only be done in 24 hour blocks. My question to the group is, does anyone know where to find the language that gives us the right/privilege to trade time with another firefighter and if there is something in OPM that allows it does it make stipulations that it must be an entire shift? My last base would allow trades for 2 hours if you want but my current base just denied a request for a 12 hour trade. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
    I would post this in DoDFire.com.

The only stipulation for T/T's that I ever heard of coming out of payroll was that both sides of the T/T had to occur within the SAME pay period. As far as the amount of hours and making sure it was re-paid, they left it up to the FD to administer it properly.

Additionally, now that I think about it, I even think it was in our union contract that we could T/T any amount of time.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

according to management the mandate requiring the T/T to be in blocks of 24 hour shifts is coming from payroll. I know of plenty of bases that let you do it for as many or as few hours as you want as long as it is in the same pay period so I know it can be done. Now i'm just looking for something official in writing to bring to the chief.
    Motivation is something that you bring to work in your lunch box. - Skip Kirkwood, Wake county NC EMS director

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by meapplegate View Post
    according to management the mandate requiring the T/T to be in blocks of 24 hour shifts is coming from payroll. I know of plenty of bases that let you do it for as many or as few hours as you want as long as it is in the same pay period so I know it can be done. Now i'm just looking for something official in writing to bring to the chief.
    Sounds to me like your management is looking for an excuse not to have to administrate the T/T's......Why don't you ask management to have payroll submit it in writing? I bet they (management) fold like a well used one dollar bill......Are you union? IAFF? Are time trades covered in your contract? If they want to change the terms of the contract they HAVE to go through I & I bargaining, they have no choice in that.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information