Thread: Tattoos?

Forum Member

Default Tattoos?

I am currently thinking very seriously about joining the Air Force to be a fire fighter. I haven't gotten a chance to see a recruiter yet... but, I was curious if anyone knows the policy with the Air Force and tattoos.

I have 5 tattoos (all of which can be covered up with both my hands) between my knee and ankle and I was wondering if that may DQ me from pursuing a military contract. Can anyone help me here? Thanks in advance!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by nickytonk View Post
    I have 5 tattoos (all of which can be covered up with both my hands) between my knee and ankle and I was wondering if that may DQ me from pursuing a military contract. Can anyone help me here? Thanks in advance!

You might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later they're going to ask why you're walking around with your hands on your lower legs like that...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default Afi 36-2903

Things have changed since I retired but this is what the 'new' reg says about tatoos:

Tattoos/Brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited in and out of uniform. Tattoos/brands that are prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature that tends to bring discredit upon the Air Force are prohibited in and out of uniform.
    Any member obtaining unauthorized tattoos will be required to remove them at their own expense. Using uniform items to cover unauthorized tattoos is not an option. Members failing to remove unauthorized tattoos in a timely manner will be subject to involuntary separation, or punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

Inappropriate (military image). Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the uniform) while in uniform. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/brands that exceed of the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing an open collar uniform.

Members will not be allowed to display excessive tattoos that would detract from an appropriate professional image while in uniform. Commanders will use the above guidelines in determining appropriate military image and acceptability of tattoos displayed by members in uniform. Air Force members with existing tattoos not meeting an acceptable military image should be required to:

maintain complete coverage of the tattoos using current uniforms items (e.g. long-sleeved shirt/blouse, pants/slacks, dark hosiery, etc.) or
    volunteer to remove tattoos(s).

Thread Information