MembersZone Subscriber

Default Compressor / casscade spec help

We are in the process of working on our 2008 award for a complete compressor fill station. i have learned a few things about going to bid, and with the new FEMA guidance about using manufactures specs I dhave not, and will not, ask for specs from the the couple of dealers that we are looking at. I however am asking for your help.

In general form we are looking at a 13cfm, Single phase compressor; 4 Bottle DOT 6000psi casscade and a containment system of at least two bottle's. I want to make sure that the spec is not written brand specific as to eliminate any problems with that. I also want to make sure that we spec what we need.

Would any of you be willing to share your specs for a similar project, or include items that you listed in your spec. We have two major dealers in our area, both with good service and good machines, however both are totally different systems.

I want to build our own specs for bid, just want to do it right. Thanks.

Forum Member

How about an e-mail address to send it to.

MembersZone Subscriber

i knew i forgot something.....

nmg1348@fairpoint.net

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You also forgot that you just wrote a bid spec in your post:

13cfm, Single phase compressor; 4 Bottle DOT 6000psi casscade and a containment system of at least two bottle's

The only thing you need to add is that delivery, installation, and testing of the unit to verify all operations are working will be required as part of the bid. Other than that, you have a bid that anyone can meet which is all DHS is looking for.

Forum Member

auxillary port to fill mounted aerial device tank and a scuba kit if applicable. Our installer did everything except electrical work, so they need to supply schematics for electric hookup.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

And don't forget that most vendors have open specs that anyone can beat, more strict areas with bidding have always required open bid specs since they require that 3 or more qualifying bids be received. So those places have never done name brand bid specs. I got 2 a while back from 2 different vendors on the same product and they were identical generic bid specs, so wouldn't doubt that they all have the same one anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just sent out the same bid specs today as you did to four different vendors..... Just curious: How much do you have to spend and what are your bids coming in at?? Thanks, Richey

mcfdrichey@gmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    You also forgot that you just wrote a bid spec in your post:

13cfm, Single phase compressor; 4 Bottle DOT 6000psi casscade and a containment system of at least two bottle's

The only thing you need to add is that delivery, installation, and testing of the unit to verify all operations are working will be required as part of the bid. Other than that, you have a bid that anyone can meet which is all DHS is looking for.

Perhaps add "fully enclosed compressor cabinet. Noise level not to exceed __ Db while ______ " Some of the less expensive compressors are rattling banging ...... "Supplier will have mobile repair service available ........"

Do you want ability to fill high and low pressure SCBA? Then spec a pump with min. 5000psi or you may get a 4500psi pump. If high/low you need pigtails with correct nipples.

Do you want remote fill for vehicle mounted cascade? Need equipment for such.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah but any salesperson worth their salt will have all that in their bid. Hardly anyone has low bid requirements anymore. Mobile service isn't an open spec item so might get flagged if included. Now if someone has it, that's a reason to choose them over the low-bid.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

Mobile service isn't an open spec item so might get flagged if included. Now if someone has it, that's a reason to choose them over the low-bid.
    I just went through a bid process with our town buying a new ambulance for us. They require a minimum of three qualified bidders & lean towards the low bidder policy .
    I wrote in our spec the the sucessful bidder must be a licenced motor vehicle dealer in our state and must maintain full service facilities, either fixed or mobile within three hours road travel of our station..
    This weeded out the vendors that would require us to take the truck several states away to have warrantee service done. This is not exclusionary! the town ran my spec through the town attny to make sure that it would hold up under open bidding requirements.

Now back to the compressor & fill station question:

Neiowa rases a lot of valid points : Sound levels while in operation vary wildly. Some cannot be run in a space where normal conversation is required. Buy a big enough unit HP wise that it is not straining to reach 6000 psi. Don't get anything less than 6000 psi. as a 5000 psi unit takes forever to top off 4500 bottles . We have the MOBILE service technician come in twice a year and service the unit which includes taking air samples for certification . Not having a local service dealer with MOBILE service trucks will be a very expensive detriment to your dept when service is needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

If this compressor is not going to be ran often you want to look at getting a 4 stage compressor. This will be easier and add life to the compressor.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on the metrics applied to the service locations, some try the same town thing, some try the must be already X number of vehicles/installations in the state, etc, etc.

If you put in a metric and get 3 bidders it isn't exclusionary. It's not the terms that are, it's the results of the terms that are looked at. That's why if you write something and only get 1 bidder after sending out 9 requests you have to make sure there weren't exceptions keeping the other 8 from bidding. If there were, bid was too restrictive. If there weren't terms like that and the other 8 were just lazy, no problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at a 4 stage compressor it will be easier on the compressor to get to 6000psi and your compressor will last longer. You should talk to dealers about your needs before coming up with a spec. I don't know if you did that yet but its a great way to start. Its not only hp you also need to look at cfm. Were a vol dept and had our compressor a little over a year and have 22 hours on it. We got a 7.9cfm 7 hp North Shore Compressor. You don't want to get a compressor that will fill your casscade bottles fast. Compressors need to run for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    ... Compressors need to run for a while.
    Very true. Not exercising the unit regularily is the greatest single maint problem. Leads to serious air quality problems and system failure.

If not filling significant # of SCBA cylinders regularily bleed the cascades off and use the compressor to refill. Typical advice is run at least 30min every time it's run.

Thread Information