Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Code 5 Bag

Forum Member

Default Code 5 Bag

Hello,

I just got hired on with Cal Fire and this is my first year in the fire service and I've found myself in a pinch. I'm trying to figure out how much stuff I should buy for my code 5 bag, such as articles of clothing (uniform pants, shirts, underwear, socks, off duty clothes.) My hire dates June 1st, so I would like to get all of the shopping done as soon as possible. If anyone out there can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Arch

Carry the stuff your going to need; resume, suit, job applications...sorry, I couldn't pass up the joke.

There are always the essentials that you want to carry; toiletries, socks, underwear, shirts, etc. etc. Not being a Cal-Fire guy, the biggest suggestion would be to go talk with some of the line firefighters that will be doing the same job as you. Its been my experience that just about everybody is willing to tell you what they carry and why. The line firefighters for your agency will know what is required carry items (like uniforms) and what are good stuff to have with you.
    -Tradition-
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Forum Member

Ok you will need pretty much anything to last 14 days without anything being washed, yes you can have things washed before that sometimes but sometimes you might not be able to. So plenty of socks, underwear, cal fire shirts(i had like 7 shirts besides my station shirts) if anything wash them in the hotel room ha. Of course toothbrush, soap, shampoo, bring a roll of quarters, batteries, some relax shorts and shirt, a polo shirt, extra boot laces, make sure you have plenty of work pants, a sweater, tp, wash cloth, sandals in case you have to use a camp shower. Ill think of more stuff and will post it

You will only need one uniform shirt and will mostly be hung in the engine for when you go into the public if you want another one that's OK of course. I would get one of the cal fire sweaters, they don't allow anything else and you will use it quite often!

I would go get a light for your helmet like the Petzl, they give you a pack so either get your own pack or buy a camelback- hotshot pack and you can connect it to the pack they give you.

umm cant think of anything else really right now message me if you would like

also what unit picked you up?

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input. I went and talked to a Capt. the other day and he gave me some insite on what I should carry with me. Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

my first year i had way to much stuff, but a set or two of off duty clothes and a swim suit will be good, more socks and underware than you think you will need and at least one or two pairs of extra pants and 3 to 5 more duty shirts, youll need your class B shirt too, dont forget a pair of sandals or shoes for off duty. you have to keep in mind that laundry might only come around once a week or so.

The absolute best gear bag is LA Rescue with a REAL lifetime warranty. Here is their link- www.larescue.com

As for what to put in it, go here- California Firefighter.com- How to pack a red bag.

Default packing

just a short note about L. A. rescue gear. Of the six bags I have of their's and they are twenty years old......they still are in top shape and STILL do the job.....I love them.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

I have several LA Rescue bags. Two are 20 years old and still in service. A great investment.

Forum Member

what unit picked you up?[/QUOTE]

I got picked up in TCU (Tuolumne/Calaveras) I starte on June 1st at the 67 hour academy.

Where can I pick up a camelback-hotshot pack up at?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by archimusprime View Post
    what unit picked you up?
    I got picked up in TCU (Tuolumne/Calaveras) I starte on June 1st at the 67 hour academy.

Where can I pick up a camelback-hotshot pack up at?[/QUOTE]

Right on, I ordered mine through a local bike company, but you can find them all over online

Thread Information