Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 80

Thread: Let's Recap....

  1. #41
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm willing to bet Corzine and Kaine are re-elected handily.
    It's early, but there is hope.

    http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2...NTPAGECAROUSEL
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.


  2. #42
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Yes, they determined what legislation made it to the floor, but they did not control what legislation went to the president for signature. The senate still needs to get 60 votes to end a filibuster or invoke cloture. So while they had a majority they did not have control to push through anything and everything.
    I only have one question for you then:

    How many pieces of legislation were introduced by the GOP and ended up being killed via Filibuster by the Dems?

    And "They didn't introduce the legislation because they knew it would get killed because they didn't have 60 votes" is not an answer - that just means they were chicken.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  3. #43
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I only have one question for you then:

    How many pieces of legislation were introduced by the GOP and ended up being killed via Filibuster by the Dems?

    And "They didn't introduce the legislation because they knew it would get killed because they didn't have 60 votes" is not an answer - that just means they were chicken.
    That's a double tap to the head for idiotboy. Guaranteed he won't have an answer.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I only have one question for you then:

    How many pieces of legislation were introduced by the GOP and ended up being killed via Filibuster by the Dems?

    And "They didn't introduce the legislation because they knew it would get killed because they didn't have 60 votes" is not an answer - that just means they were chicken.
    I give up. How many???

  5. #45
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I give up. How many???
    I'll answer. Zero. Your premise, like you, is flawed.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'll answer. Zero. Your premise, like you, is flawed.
    As is typical, wrong again. Wouldn't you like to be right just one time?

    The filibuster has tremendously increased in frequency of use since the 1960s. In the 1960s, no Senate term had more than seven filibusters. One of the most notable filibusters of the 1960s was when southern Democratic Senators attempted, unsuccessfully, to block the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by making a filibuster that lasted for 75 hours. In the first decade of the 21st century, no Senate term had fewer than 49 filibusters. The 1999-2002 Senate terms both had 58 filibusters.[19] The 110th Congress broke the record for filibuster cloture votes reaching 112 at the end of 2008. [20] [21]

  7. #47
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    As is typical, wrong again. Wouldn't you like to be right just one time?
    I'm right more often than you're wrong which is a lot. The other part of your premise was that "good" pieces of legislation wouldn't be brought forward.

    Of the filibusters you cited, how many were "good" pieces of legislation.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  8. #48
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    As is typical, wrong again. Wouldn't you like to be right just one time?
    And the fact that there were closure votes means that the filibusters were defeated.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm right more often than you're wrong which is a lot. The other part of your premise was that "good" pieces of legislation wouldn't be brought forward.

    Of the filibusters you cited, how many were "good" pieces of legislation.
    LMAO at you!!!! I was wrong twice so you were right 3 times!!!!

    I don't know what the legislation was, doesn't matter. Given that the republicans had the votes needed to pass any legislation they wanted it is safe to say that democrats did the majority of the filibustering. There were undoubtedly far more pieces that were never introduced just knowing the democrats would filibuster.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    And the fact that there were closure votes means that the filibusters were defeated.
    Actually, defeating a filibuster means the legislation is put to a vote.
    Cloture means that the legislation is tabled. There is no vote on the legislation and the filibuster is effective in preventing the legislation.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    But since this thread is about recapping. Let us not forget that this president screwed up on day one when taking the Oath of Office.

  12. #52
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    As is typical, wrong again. Wouldn't you like to be right just one time?

  13. #53
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    But since this thread is about recapping. Let us not forget that this president screwed up on day one when taking the Oath of Office.
    Hey idiotboy. Watch the video again. It was Justice Stevens who screwed up.

    Gawd are you stupid.

    Obama Inaugural Oath

    Where's moonbat when you need him? At least he was entertaining.
    Last edited by scfire86; 04-30-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  14. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Hey idiotboy. Watch the video again. It was Justice Stevens who screwed up.

    Gawd are you stupid.

    Obama Inaugural Oath

    Where's moonbat when you need him? At least he was entertaining.
    Hey Dumbo. As the man taking the oath in his biggest moment ever you would think he would get it right. Typical liberal, blaming someone else. . you just keep digging a bigger hole

  15. #55
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,656

    Default

    I don't want to let any facts get in the way of a good discussion...but they both got it wrong.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  16. #56
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Hey Dumbo. As the man taking the oath in his biggest moment ever you would think he would get it right. Typical liberal, blaming someone else. . you just keep digging a bigger hole
    He did get it right idiotboy watch the video again.

    Just to be clear. Justice Roberts administered the oath and put the word “faithfully” at the end of the oath instead of where it belonged, before the word execute.

    This is the oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

    This is what happened on Inauguration Day:
    ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama…
    OBAMA: I, Barack…
    ROBERTS: … do solemnly swear…
    OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear…
    ROBERTS: … that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully…
    OBAMA: … that I will execute…
    ROBERTS: … the off — faithfully the pres — the office of president of the United States…
    OBAMA: … the office of president of the United States faithfully…
    ROBERTS: … and will to the best of my ability…
    OBAMA: … and will to the best of my ability…
    ROBERTS: … preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
    OBAMA: … preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
    ROBERTS: So help you God?
    OBAMA: So help me God.
    You continue to display your stupidity in real time.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  17. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    He did get it right idiotboy watch the video again.

    Just to be clear. Justice Roberts administered the oath and put the word “faithfully” at the end of the oath instead of where it belonged, before the word execute.

    This is the oath: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

    This is what happened on Inauguration Day:


    You continue to display your stupidity in real time.
    Stop trying to rewrite history!!!!! Here is an article with a link to the actual event at the bottom. The man stumbled and fumbled his way through one of the biggest events of his life.

    Obama Oath Mishap

    For the love of god, even you can't be that stupid!!!
    Last edited by ScareCrow57; 05-02-2009 at 07:46 AM.

  18. #58
    Forum Member ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    The man stumbled and fumbled his way through one of the biggest events of his life.
    Not as bad as George W. Boooosh stumbled through eight years of the worst administration ever.
    Damn, you're stupid.

  19. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Not as bad as George W. Boooosh stumbled through eight years of the worst administration ever.
    Damn, you're stupid.
    Apparently you aren't old enough to remember LBJ, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton.

  20. #60
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Stop trying to rewrite history!!!!! Here is an article with a link to the actual event at the bottom. The man stumbled and fumbled his way through one of the biggest events of his life.

    Obama Oath Mishap

    For the love of god, even you can't be that stupid!!!
    Idiotboy strikes again. It's a conservative blog. Since you discount my blog links as partisan I get to do the same.

    They're looking for a "gotcha" moment. Obama was following Roberts' lead.the onus was upon Roberts to say the correct wording in order for the President-elect to follow. Roberts screwed up the first time through. Even your idiot post states that.

    This was an event being watched by billions. I'm sure you would have gotten it correct despite being lead incorrectly.

    Ha ha ha ha....who am I kidding? You can't even manage credit card balance.
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts