Forum Member

Default National Guard volunteer for deployment

Im looking into volunteering to go anywhere just to get a veteran preference. I would probably not hesitate to go If they would send me as a firefighter for anything. Wildland, Afghanistan, Iraq. Id probably take it. I would still consider going as anything they want. My Mos is firefighting and I think it would be a blast. Infantry just isnt as exciting. Does anyone know of a way to go on anything as a firefighter for more than 6 months.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by ashncole View Post
    Im looking into volunteering to go anywhere just to get a veteran preference. I would probably not hesitate to go If they would send me as a firefighter for anything. Wildland, Afghanistan, Iraq. Id probably take it. I would still consider going as anything they want. My Mos is firefighting and I think it would be a blast. Infantry just isnt as exciting. Does anyone know of a way to go on anything as a firefighter for more than 6 months.
    oh my.. I hope you have your turnouts and nomex on right now.. Lemme just remind you to stop, drop and roll when you're on fire.

-Damien

Forum Member

Default ummmm?

okkaaaayyyy..........

Worldwide Menace

Don't get me wrong... Volunteering to deploy for your country is great, but just volunteering for the vets preference points gets a few people up in arms around here. Volunteer for deployment to serve your country... not for a few extra points to serve your own purposes.

do an advanced search for vets preference points in this subforum and you'll find plenty of threads about people who just wanted to do the minimum to get a few vets preference points and you'll see what I mean.

-Damien
    ps. As far as I remember, US Army contracted their firefighting in Baghdad to Civilians.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Don't get me wrong... Volunteering to deploy for your country is great, but just volunteering for the vets preference points gets a few people up in arms around here. Volunteer for deployment to serve your country... not for a few extra points to serve your own purposes.

do an advanced search for vets preference points in this subforum and you'll find plenty of threads about people who just wanted to do the minimum to get a few vets preference points and you'll see what I mean.

-Damien
    ps. As far as I remember, US Army contracted their firefighting in Baghdad to Civilians.
    If you didnt notice I said a minumum of 6 mos. If I wanted vet preference I can get it other ways. Ive already got on GKO and listed my name to volunteer for anything for any tour. I might as well go as a ff for my mos. So I guess dont assume. My unit will deply eventually and I will go with them but I need vet status now so I dont want to wait to get them so I will do a deployment and then come home to turn around for another deployment. So get your Arms up in the air if you think 2 deployments is the minumum. I think that would be earning my vet status. I suggest you get your panties out of a bunch. I could just accept a temporary sit on my butt as an asst to nothing position for 6 mos and get vet status or go to war. I think I know the minimum.

Worldwide Menace

If you didnt notice I said a minumum of 6 mos. If I wanted vet preference I can get it other ways. Ive already got on GKO and listed my name to volunteer for anything for any tour. I might as well go as a ff for my mos. So I guess dont assume. My unit will deply eventually and I will go with them but I need vet status now so I dont want to wait to get them so I will do a deployment and then come home to turn around for another deployment. So get your Arms up in the air if you think 2 deployments is the minumum. I think that would be earning my vet status. I suggest you get your panties out of a bunch. I could just accept a temporary sit on my butt as an asst to nothing position for 6 mos and get vet status or go to war. I think I know the minimum.
    First of all, get your head out of your ***, I'm not attacking you. Your motivation to deploy should be because you want to deploy, not because you need points now for a job as referenced in this thread..

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108067

I've quoted below the points and the means to achieve them. Highlighted in red is the only way you will achieve points unless god forbid you hurt yourself on deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Veterans Preference points guidelines
    TYPES OF PREFERENCE:

5-Point Preference

Five points are added to the passing examination score of a veteran who served:

* During the period December 7, 1941, to July 1, 1955; or
    * For more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
    * For more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
    * During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990 through January 2, 1992; or
    * In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized, including El Salvador, Grenada, Haiti, Lebanon, Panama, Somalia, Southwest Asia, Bosnia, and the Global War on Terrorism.

Medal holders and Gulf War veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered on active duty on or after October 14, 1982, must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The service requirement does not apply to veterans with compensable service-connected disabilities, or to veterans separated for disability in the line of duty, or for hardship.

10-Point Preference

Ten points are added to the passing examination score of:

* A veteran who served any time and who (1) has a present service-connected disability or (2) is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pension from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs. Individuals who received a Purple Heart qualify as disabled veterans.
    * An unmarried spouse of certain deceased veterans, a spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability, and
    * a mother of a veteran who died in service or who is permanently and totally disabled.
    You have at least a 180+ day deployment that you must complete or you must be awarded the Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal before you meet any of the criteria for veterans preference points. There is nothing else you can do to get Veterans Preference points immediately..

Best of luck...

-Damien
    ps.. Though I cannot add all the points i've earned over my career in the military to my benefit, I would have over 20 Vets preference points based on medals I've earned and deployments I've made... but don't take my 10+ years of service to my country and experience.. what do i know?
    Last edited by DFurtman; 04-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I can atest to having 5 points from a Bosnia campaign i was involved with and here I sit among ALL the others with no more preference than anyone else... I sit here as a Non DoD civilian waiting to hear "if" I get looked at for an open position. 5 pages of jobs applied for over 4 years and NO offers....

I do commend you for your efforts. Best of luck... God Bless America and all of her Sons and Daughters protecting her.

Forum Member

I don't think you will be deployed as a firefighter. The Army can change your MOS to whatever the needs are. When my husband was deployed to Iraq, a reserve field artillery unit that they were working with had been changed to military police. So don't get your hopes up on that.
    It also kinda bothers me that some people join just to get veteran's points. My husband EARNED his points. He retired after 21 years and had multiple deployments and gave up a lot in the process. It's kind of a slap in the face for those who have served becasue they wanted to serve their country, not to be self-serving. I would rather have someone who actually wanted to be there watching my husband's back during a deployment rather than someone who just wanted to get a leg up for another job.
    Sorry to say, infantry is the primary job in the Army no matter what your MOS. So if you don't like it, don't join.
    I think reserve deployments can last anywhere between a year to 24 months now. So be prepared to serve in the long run if you do join.
    Last edited by brownsquirrel; 04-29-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Forum Member

Default It would be a blast

Did I not say it would be a blast. and did I not say I have already volunteered to go for anything. I apologize if I took it as attacking me, however I want to go to Iraq to serve my country. Also I did say I could get a full time active position sitting behind a desk doing nothing for my vet pref. or I could volunteer to serve my country. If your annoyed Im sure I know who needs to pull their head out. I see your point and especially if those are my intentions. I didnt sign up for National Guard and volunteer to go to Iraq if I didnt care about my country.

Thanks for the support from others on the forum and those who have pm'd me. I do have a GWOT ribbon but not a GWOT medal if those are different. Also Im looking for Border patrol and Disaster volunteering. If anyone knows of a firefighter Unit Army active duty guard or reserves let me know.

Forum Member

Im looking into volunteering to go anywhere just to get a veteran preference. .
    That sounded pretty self-serving to me. But what do I know?
    I wasn't attacking you, just telling you the truth. You may be a firefighter here in the states, but once you get deployed don't be surprised if they make you something else.
    Have you enlisted yet?
    Last edited by brownsquirrel; 04-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Worldwide Menace

I do have a GWOT ribbon but not a GWOT medal if those are different.
    They are 2 different awards.

GWOT Service Medal is awarded for being in direct support of the GWOT while not being deployed.. Basicly it's a candy medal... Everyone serving in the military gets one..

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki GWOTSM Criteria
    The medal is awarded to personnel who perform support duty of an anti-terrorism operation but do not directly participate. The phrase "support" is defined as any administrative, logistics, planning, operational, technical, or readiness activity which provides support to an operation of the Global War on Terrorism. As of 2005, this blanket term has effectively awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal to most personnel of the United States armed forces who performed service after September of 2001.
    GWOT Expeditionary Medal Criteria is as follows;

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki GWOTEM Criteria
    To be awarded the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, a military service member must perform duty in a deployed status and must participate in designated anti-terrorism operation for a period of either 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty. For those who were engaged in combat, killed, or wounded in the line of the duty the time requirement is waived.
    Wiki goes on to explain...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki GWOTSM page
    The primary difference between the GWOTServiceM and the GWOTExpeditionaryM awards is that the service medal is intended for those who performed duty within the United States while the expeditionary medal recognizes those who were deployed to foreign countries.
    -Damien

Worldwide Menace

The quickest way as I read it for you to earn 5 vets preference points is by doing the following. (It's not going to happen this way though..)

1. Deploy to Afghanistan tonight after reading this post...
    2. Directly engage in combat with the enemy immediately after you arrive.. (Get injured and you'll get 10 points)
    3. paperwork paperwork paperwork..
    4. go home the next day with said paperwork awarding you the GWOTEM
    5. Profit! (There's your 5 vets preference points)

There ya go. quick and easy and for the most part painless.. but it's not going to happen that way...

-Damien

Forum Member

Default Different for each state?

Before I read all of the posts, I believe civil service law (which pertains to most hiring departments, at least in MA) is different in each state. In MA in order to be a veteran you must be activated for purposes other than training under title 10 or 32 for 90 or more consecutive days.

Before you go on a tour longer than the minimal requirement be sure to check into your local civil service laws. If you still want to go longer than the minimum requirement, more power to you.

Forum Member

Default I am enlisted

I wonder how many times I have said I am in the national guard. I've already said Ive volunteered to go. I am basically waiting for my turn to deploy with my Unit. I have been waiting, but With the economy and being laid off currently I am testing with fire departments. I get pretty high on the list and vet pref would help tremendously. So yes I want to go for the Vet status. But I dont know that I would get the opportunity to go under the new Presidential administration. Vet pref is a plus but even if I do go I wont be back for more than likely at least a year. I may score high enough to not need it and more than likely I can end up screwing myself missing tests and interviews for a deployment. I still volunteered. Put my name on the list and Im meeting with my commander. I would just rather go as my current MOS as a firefighter. Ideal would be to take something to get a vet pref. Get a job offer and more than likely serve a 18 month deployment as a firefighter. But since what do you know your not attacking me your just telling me what you think is the truth. My Unit is up for deployment and has been but I want my job guaranteed by Userra. DO I want my vet pref. Yes. Am I willing to go over and serve and have the attiitude I volunteered because I love my country Yes. So go ahead and "not attack me" but "tell the truth" I gues you were close but Im working harder to get my vet pref in the long run and doing alot more to get a full time ff job than the other applicants. Do I deserve vet pref. I guess I should ask the guy who tells the truth. Im sure I am making a sacrifice. On top of the more than a year I have already been away from my family for the military but still dont have vet pref. Im surprised you think you know the truth. So if you want the truth youve got it

Worldwide Menace

Alright, ya know what.. since you feel that I am constantly attacking you, go ahead and quote specific lines where I verbally told you that you were an idiot or attacked you in any way. After that is posted, report this thread to webteam and have them punish me for my constant attacks and berating.

-Damien

Forum Member

Being able to utilize the points is nice but how about the people who made it without the extra points?

Its called hard work. They put in their time, studied, and did what they needed to do to move ahead of the rest.

By all means, get your points buddy, but if you think that those points are one of the biggest things that has been holding you back from getting a fire job so far, take a step back, crack open a few books and study, polish up on your oral interview skills, and maybe even touch base with someone that did make it through without those points and see what they did to make it happen.

Good luck!

Forum Member

I would not worry about vet pref. Do know how many 5 and 10 point vets there are out there since war started. If I were you I would work on CDC certs. I am a 5 point vet right now. But to make my point I have seen 30 point vets not get a jobs because they don't have the right certs qualify them for the job. Every year it gets harder and harder to get picked up for DOD jobs. The certs you get out of Goodfellow are just good enough any more. Even then you are lucky to get a GS-4 or GS-5 job with those certs.

I am not busting your chops and I don't even know what certs you have but I am just putting my two cents in a guess. What do I really know I am just some dumb active duty Army firefighter, Who been around a while.

Forum Member

Default Great Advice.

I appreciate the advice I have been getting. I have done a few extra cert classes beyond Goodfellow and hope to do a few more. when you talk about five points in the grand scheme studying and Oral interview can get alot but scoring one point on a test can put you up a long way. Dont get me wrong I appreciate the advice And I agree to a certain extent even with the guy who thinks the only reason why I would volunteer for deployment is to get vet pref instead of getting a temp 6 month adsw position to get vet pref. But alot of the comments are things I have tried. I have been through every study guide I can find and Its competitive. I understand the frustration of someone else getting 5 extra points when someone else doesnt but If someone doesnt like it then maybe if they are capable they should join the military. Im trying for everything I can get. There is a reason for these points and its not just to be unfair to others. I notice alot of times on these tests the ranking is guys with scores above 100. To get to the top with this kind of competition sometimes requires preference points. So Even If someone scores 100 on written and Oral they arent always # 1 on the list. Cracking a study guide or touching up on interview helps but only If you score 100 and the rest doesnt just come out of nowhere. Im not going to lie I have room for improvement. Vet Pref will never be the only thing I count on. But I hope as non book smart as I am even if I study to get 100 average. I would like an extra 5. Thank you very much for your advice and I appreciate the support you guys give to those who serve our country. I also really appreciate those who are serving our country whether your doing it for yourself or for your country. Thanks for keeping my family safe.
    Last edited by ashncole; 05-01-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Thread Information