Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memphis

Forum Member

Default memphis

memphis fire just posted fire recruit opening. they will accept apps for one month.you will be required to obtain a paramedic license within 3 years.
    more info available at cityofmemphis.org

Forum Member

Where exactly on the city website did you find this? Im looking under employment for non-city workers and there isnt a job posting? Thanks

Forum Member

Same here? The only listing I found under fire services was a "crewperson" which basically looks like a janitor?

I was under the impression they already made the list for the upcoming Oct. class.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied in february for firemedic. Am i out of the process now since i didnt get a call from HR. and i dont understand why their looking for just a firerecruit when there's plenty of firemedics they can take. Why waste the time taking a firefighter and putting him through medic school rather than hire some guys that already have their medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the front page click employment at the bottom. Then click on discover career opportunities. On the next page click manual application resources which is on the left side.

Forum Member

NHFD174- Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

i don't know why they do what they do and i work here. i know they keep two lists. one is a list for ff/paramedic recruit (people who have a paramedic license before they are hired) and a list for fire recruit (people that will have to get a paramedic license within three years of employment)
    There is a shortage of paramedics in this area and many have been hired from out of state. this may be one reason why they are hiring for fire recruit and training "the locals" to be paramedics.
    they probably already do have a list for the october class some from each of the two lists mentioned above. there is no way they will get this application process finished and in place prior to october.
    the last time that they had a open application for fire recruit was in february 07 and they have hired 4 classes so far off of it.Probably about 200 people. I think they had about 2500 applicants.
    just to give you an idea how it worked for me. I was in paramedic school at that time and applied as a fire recruit. I went through the whole process. In oct of 07 I got my paramedic license and applied for a ff/p recruit position. I got a call for the jan 08 class of ff/p's. Around the same time I got an offer as a fire recruit. Funny huh. Human resources really has no clue.
    so.... whether you are a paramedic or not you can apply for the fire recruit position, but if you are a paramedic you will fulfill those duties once you are hired.

Forum Member

led219-
    Do you think the chances of getting picked up from out of state as a fire recruit are good or bad? How many in your class were out of state? Just trying to feel out the situation as I live in Oregon.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

i don't think they would look at the fact that you are from out of town. I know a guy who got a fire recruit job that was from Alaska. There are actually quite a few guys from out of town. I do know they had alot of traveling back and forth for testing. If you want it it is here for you though.

Question New List

I am very confused! I re-applied in 2007, took the tests and passed. I assume I've been on the list ever since. So now there making a new list and discarding the one they have?

I have not heard anything from the city since I got my letter stating I passed everything and my name was on the list. Can someone please give so clarity.

Thanks

Forum Member

led219- Thanks again for the info I appreciate it! Also what type of written is given by Memphis FD? Is it a standard civil service exam? Thanks again for any info.

http://www.memphistn.gov/framework.aspx?page=928

CITY OF MEMPHIS
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

APRIL 27, 2009 - MAY 22, 2009

Application Packets can be obtained from 8:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. in the
    Employment Office, Room 1B-33, City Hall, 125 North Main or visit our
    website at www.memphistn.gov to download an application packet.
    For a complete listing of job openings please visit website at

www.memphistn.gov

THE CITY CHARTER REQUIRES THAT CITY EMPLOYEES MUST ESTABLISH RESIDENCE WITHIN THE MEMPHIS CITY LIMITS WITHIN SIX (6) MONTHS FROM DATE OF EMPLOYMENT. PROOF OF RESIDENCE WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE.

POSITION: FIRE RECRUIT - Fire Services/Firefighting; J.O. #FRENTRY2009 Grade 00B

Fire Salary and Salary Schedule
    Entry salary Fire Recruit $31,679.18 ($1,218.43 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 1) $45,236.36 ($1,739.86 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 2) $48,495.72 ($1,865.22 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 3+) $50,214.58 ($1,931.33 biweekly)

This isn't much for pay in a large city as Memphis!

Having to live in the City is BS as well!!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 04-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary615 View Post
    I am very confused! I re-applied in 2007, took the tests and passed. I assume I've been on the list ever since. So now there making a new list and discarding the one they have?

I have not heard anything from the city since I got my letter stating I passed everything and my name was on the list. Can someone please give so clarity.

Thanks
    It's the fire department, nothing they do makes any sense...

Forum Member

yea zachary if i were you i would contact human resources. i would assume they will discard the old list. i will ask my union rep tomorrow

capt- i agree the salary isn't that high. the cost of living is fairly low here though. the residency requirement has been an issue for fire and police dept personnel. it's a great job though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    http://www.memphistn.gov/framework.aspx?page=928

CITY OF MEMPHIS
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

APRIL 27, 2009 - MAY 22, 2009

Application Packets can be obtained from 8:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. in the
    Employment Office, Room 1B-33, City Hall, 125 North Main or visit our
    website at www.memphistn.gov to download an application packet.
    For a complete listing of job openings please visit website at

www.memphistn.gov

THE CITY CHARTER REQUIRES THAT CITY EMPLOYEES MUST ESTABLISH RESIDENCE WITHIN THE MEMPHIS CITY LIMITS WITHIN SIX (6) MONTHS FROM DATE OF EMPLOYMENT. PROOF OF RESIDENCE WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE.

POSITION: FIRE RECRUIT - Fire Services/Firefighting; J.O. #FRENTRY2009 Grade 00B

Fire Salary and Salary Schedule
    Entry salary Fire Recruit $31,679.18 ($1,218.43 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 1) $45,236.36 ($1,739.86 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 2) $48,495.72 ($1,865.22 biweekly)
    Fire Private II (Yr 3+) $50,214.58 ($1,931.33 biweekly)

This isn't much for pay in a large city as Memphis!

Having to live in the City is BS as well!!
    Didn't they used to have a signing bonus for medics? I recall one department in TN having a 10k signing bonus about a year or two ago. What does their process involve?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Didn't they used to have a signing bonus for medics? I recall one department in TN having a 10k signing bonus about a year or two ago. What does their process involve?
    No more bonus. It was Memphis, but they are catching up with their medic numbers.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    No more bonus. It was Memphis, but they are catching up with their medic numbers.
    Bummer...I'm just about to finish my medic class in 4 months. I see the applications are due by the end of the month. Any idea when the written will take place? Do they issue preference points for anything?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

What test are they making the recruits take? Interview? Math? Reading? Polygraph?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

as far as i know they will have a easy physical agility, basic math, reading, psych (mmpi). There wasn't an actual interview last time. definatly no polygraph.

Thread Information