Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, and almost all of their cars are made at a plant in Lafayette, Indiana. Have been for years.
    I grew up near Lafayette and my brother in law works at the plant. They treat their employees incredibly well. And a little known fact is that the area the plant sits in now was previously just a swamp. They have actually turned the majority of the property around the plant into a wildlife refuge. It's looks 100% different than it did 15 years ago. Subaru has really done a lot for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Current "HUMMER" vehicles have Chevy SUV/pickup chassis. They dropped the H1 (HMMWV based) a couple years ago.
    GM never purchased the H1 from American General. They are still made by AmGen for the military.

As for most of the other comments, as a GM dealer employee, please check your facts before posting anything. We have had satelitte meetings with the big wigs of GM to give us more info since Monday's announcement. As a BPG dealer we are concerned over the loss of Pontiac.

There are no plans to bring back any Pontiac for any special occasion. There are no plans at this time to move any Pontiac product and re-brand as another divisional car.

GM makes money on selling the cars to us, not you. MSRP means nothing to them in sales dollars. SUV sales were profitable when they were moving. When they sit on dealer lots and we don't order any, they put bigger rebates on them to help us move them so we order more from them. GM is very wholesale oriented when it comes to sales.

As far as I know there are no more stand alone Buick dealers. GM's "under one roof" program merged dealerships into BPG's stores a few years ago.

Concerning the Chevy/GMC being the same truck, that's Chevy's fault. GMC was the first truck builder for GM when Billy Durant purchased the Grabowski Motor Corporation as he was putting GM together. Chevy needs to the trucks to go head to head with Ford, which it actually passed in sales last year.

Also, GMC passed Dodge in sales last year to be #3 in truck sales. There is no Denali version of a Chevy just as there is no GMC version of an Avalanche. They may be built on the same chassis but there are differences between the 2 brands.
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 04-30-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    Also, GMC passed Dodge in sales last year to be #3 in truck sales. There is no Denali version of a Chevy just as there is no GMC version of an Avalanche. They may be built on the same chassis but there are differences between the 2 brands.
    The differences you refer to are some different body panels, interior trim and some other performance options. The simple fact of the matter is that GMC has a counterpart of every one of their vehicles in the Chevy line. The Denali upgrade could easily be rebranded to Chevy if they decide to do away with GMC.

My conjecture is that they decided to keep GMC not because of them having unique vehicles, but because it represents a truck line for their remaining Buick dealers. Otherwise, I believe many of their Buick dealers would go under because I believe they would have a hard time making it on just one brand.

I'm not hating on GMC by a long stretch, I'm just telling it like I see it. My last truck was a GMC. My current one is a Chevy. I was looking for another GMC, but if you saw the deal I got on my Chevy you would understand.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Just found this little tidbit on Yahoo news regarding Saturn and GM looking to sell the brand two years early.

"GM has said it wants to sell or get rid of Saturn, Hummer and Saab as it restructures, so it can once again become profitable. It's also getting rid of the Pontiac brand."

Looks like Hummer is on the chopping block too.
    I just hadn't heard that on the news stations I've been able to catch the last few days.
    Maybe they could let them spin off and have another independent line of automaker.See how long they stand on their own four wheels.
    I also wonder if this is what Ah-nold had in mind when he begged the GM division that was making HMMVVs for the military to sell him one so he could have the most unique ride in California.

Forum Member

This morning on a commercial break from the local news,one dealer had one of the new Camaros on their lot.It looked pretty good,kept the original lines but modernized them somehow.
    HOWEVER,the model shown was the most godawful puke yellow I'd seen since the first time I saw Harrison Ford in a yellow truck as he cruised around "American Graffitti".
    I guess they couldn't find a basic black one or fire engine red(not that I would buy a red vehicle.firefighters,even former ones in a red truck.how cliche'd).

Thread Information