Forum Member

Default GM drops Pontiac line

Why is General Motors dropping the Pontiac line with the appearent approval of the green crowd?
    You'd think that if the President has the juice to fire Chief Executive Officers,he'd decide to have them let go the Hummer line.
    Don't get me wrong.I don't car what brand vehicle you drive,I just don't think foreign brands should be in NASCAR.
    But,trying to think like a liberal,I can't get my head wrapped around why GM has to drop a line of smaller vehicles and keep a larger size brand that has its roots in the military.
    I thought civilians shouldn't have access to military based equipment,to liberal thinking.

MembersZone Subscriber

I liked how the news was only playing clips of "Smokey and the Bandit" when referring to Pontiac products.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thinking back, Pontiac Bonneville, 396 with progressive 6 pack, Hursts or Muncie, 4 on the floor, 4:11 gears. Those were the days my friends, gas 2 bits a gallon. Ah well' at least we lived em. Their like will never be seen again

Also the GTO. THE JUDGE

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Why is General Motors dropping the Pontiac line with the appearent approval of the green crowd?
    You'd think that if the President has the juice to fire Chief Executive Officers,he'd decide to have them let go the Hummer line.
    Don't get me wrong.I don't car what brand vehicle you drive,I just don't think foreign brands should be in NASCAR.
    But,trying to think like a liberal,I can't get my head wrapped around why GM has to drop a line of smaller vehicles and keep a larger size brand that has its roots in the military.
    I thought civilians shouldn't have access to military based equipment,to liberal thinking.
    Current "HUMMER" vehicles have Chevy SUV/pickup chassis. They dropped the H1 (HMMWV based) a couple years ago.

GMC is trying to sell the HUMMER brand/product line. As SUVs are what Americans want to buy/drive when given the chance (not goreobamamobiles) GMC may find a buyer. Subaru maybe? That would **** of the greenines.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Subaru maybe? That would **** of the greenines.
    The hypocrite "greenies"? Who drive their Subaru Outbacks that average around 20 mpg, while the Hummer H3 (5 cylinder) averages close to 20, itself?

I think that would be hilarious.

Forum Member

because with the exception of the G8 Pontiac has an equivalent model in another GM line (most of which look better in my opinion)
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

GM needs to defeat the repetition in thier brand lines. It will help them shed more expenses and still produce the same products (essentially) with the Chevrolet badge. Afterall, this is thier flagship.

Hummer, while percevied as a gas guzzler, is a very profitable vehicle for GM and its dealers. That doesn't mean that they are selling them for MSRP, it means that with dealer holdback and finance credits, they are able to make a little money on those vehicles, just like the Tahoe/Yukon, Subruban/Avalance, and Escalade. Believe it or not, Americans like big vehicles, and they keep buying them. Not at the pace that the Manufacturers would like, but they still sell.

I think if GM could shrink itself to Chevy/Cadillac/Hummer (all in one dealer would be ideal), they would be able to make a run at recovery with that line-up. This most recent attempt at downsizing to grow, started with dropping the Oldsmobile line. Then gas prices and economic downturn put a lot of pressure on the business. They can't get small enough, fast enough. Consolodating dealers would be great too. It doesn't make a lot of sense that in the same town, you have a Chevy Dealer and a GMC dealer. Its the same truck and it takes money to build the two options.

Forum Member

Default To try and save the company

I don't think dropping Pontiac has anything to do with being green or not, it has to do with being in the RED or BLACK. GM has to many lines and has to get lean not green.

I'm as American as the next person and have never owned a Toyota or plan to but as far as Toyota in NASCAR, Toyota has 13 factories in North America with more than 36,000 North Americans producing over 1.3 million vehicles, 1.5 million engines, and 400,000 automatic transmissions per year. 11 Toyota and Lexus models are built in North America with parts purchased from hundreds of North American suppliers. Toyota's annual U.S. spending on parts, goods and services with suppliers in North America totals more than $28 billion. Yes forgien owned but still a big investment here. And the way things are today, I think a lot of people in NASCAR are happy they are there.

Forum Member

Old Chief Pontiac has turned over in his grave!

It was a great car.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I think that GM is adopting a Chevy, Buick, Caddilac line very simliar to Ford's Ford, Mercury, Lincoln line. Pontiac (the performance line) usually had a twin in the Chevy line therefore becoming redundant.

The only mainly redundant line in GM would be GMC Trucks which of course has exact copies of all of their vehicles in the Chevy line. They probably kept that line so that they can keep products their non-Chevy dealers. Chevy dealers usually only deal Chevy, but the other GM products are usually together (Buick, Pontiac, GMC). Could you imagine only being a Buick dealer? At least having GMC trucks on the lots will give them something to sell.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Seems to me that should dump Buicks, like Olds. That leaves Chevy for the working man, Pontiac for young adults, Cadillac for success, and GMC for trucks,

Now I gotta find me an old Pontiac Tempest (with metallic mint green paint, and Michelin Model XGV 75R 14 tires....heheheheh)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    I think that GM is adopting a Chevy, Buick, Caddilac line very simliar to Ford's Ford, Mercury, Lincoln line. ...
    Merc has been to the gallows at least a dozen times in the last 50years. Keep getting a reprieve. Sometimes barely survives sometimes a big push. Ford can never make up it's mind for more than a few years if they need 2 brands or 3. At least they had the brains to tell the Feds to shove their pork $.

MembersZone Subscriber

Merc has been to the gallows at least a dozen times in the last 50years. Keep getting a reprieve. Sometimes barely survives sometimes a big push. Ford can never make up it's mind for more than a few years if they need 2 brands or 3. At least they had the brains to tell the Feds to shove their pork $.
    You can say what you want about American iron, but its pretty damn tough to beat a King Ranch F250 with all the bells and whistles. Just plain feels good driving it.

Forum Member

Just found this little tidbit on Yahoo news regarding Saturn and GM looking to sell the brand two years early.

"GM has said it wants to sell or get rid of Saturn, Hummer and Saab as it restructures, so it can once again become profitable. It's also getting rid of the Pontiac brand."

Looks like Hummer is on the chopping block too.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Subaru maybe?
    Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, and almost all of their cars are made at a plant in Lafayette, Indiana. Have been for years.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    The hypocrite "greenies"? Who drive their Subaru Outbacks that average around 20 mpg, while the Hummer H3 (5 cylinder) averages close to 20, itself?
    Consider that the vast majority of Subarus are 4 cylinder engines with full-time all wheel drive it makes sense.

I average 32+ on the highway in my Outback. Quite a nice little car. Although I do not like getting lumped into the stigma of being a flaming Liberal like many in New England that have their Subies with their Obama and "Peace is Patriotic" stickers.

I'll keep my 4Runner over a Hummer anyday too.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    You can say what you want about American iron, but its pretty damn tough to beat a King Ranch F250 with all the bells and whistles. Just plain feels good driving it.
    I like the looks of the F-150, but that Super Duty/F250/F350 font end just gets me.

But I have this thing about dropping $50,000 for any vehicle, let alone a pick-up. Then again, I have no need for a full-sized pick up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I like the looks of the F-150, but that Super Duty/F250/F350 font end just gets me.

But I have this thing about dropping $50,000 for any vehicle, let alone a pick-up. Then again, I have no need for a full-sized pick up.
    I gotta admit I don't either, but I share this with my son so I have a vehicle to drive when we come to Canada or US. We got a pretty good deal on it, bought 1 year old, 30,000 k, 18,000 m on it for $28,000.

Forum Member

according to higher ups in GM, they will bring back some special pontiac lines for special occassions. I.E. GTO, etc, etc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I gotta admit I don't either, but I share this with my son so I have a vehicle to drive when we come to Canada or US. We got a pretty good deal on it, bought 1 year old, 30,000 k, 18,000 m on it for $28,000.
    Good deal on the truck. God willing, I'll be able to buy my house and land within the next couple of years and I'll actually have a need for a pick up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Subaru is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, and almost all of their cars are made at a plant in Lafayette, Indiana. Have been for years.
    I grew up near Lafayette and my brother in law works at the plant. They treat their employees incredibly well. And a little known fact is that the area the plant sits in now was previously just a swamp. They have actually turned the majority of the property around the plant into a wildlife refuge. It's looks 100% different than it did 15 years ago. Subaru has really done a lot for the area.

Forum Member

Current "HUMMER" vehicles have Chevy SUV/pickup chassis. They dropped the H1 (HMMWV based) a couple years ago.
    GM never purchased the H1 from American General. They are still made by AmGen for the military.

As for most of the other comments, as a GM dealer employee, please check your facts before posting anything. We have had satelitte meetings with the big wigs of GM to give us more info since Monday's announcement. As a BPG dealer we are concerned over the loss of Pontiac.

There are no plans to bring back any Pontiac for any special occasion. There are no plans at this time to move any Pontiac product and re-brand as another divisional car.

GM makes money on selling the cars to us, not you. MSRP means nothing to them in sales dollars. SUV sales were profitable when they were moving. When they sit on dealer lots and we don't order any, they put bigger rebates on them to help us move them so we order more from them. GM is very wholesale oriented when it comes to sales.

As far as I know there are no more stand alone Buick dealers. GM's "under one roof" program merged dealerships into BPG's stores a few years ago.

Concerning the Chevy/GMC being the same truck, that's Chevy's fault. GMC was the first truck builder for GM when Billy Durant purchased the Grabowski Motor Corporation as he was putting GM together. Chevy needs to the trucks to go head to head with Ford, which it actually passed in sales last year.

Also, GMC passed Dodge in sales last year to be #3 in truck sales. There is no Denali version of a Chevy just as there is no GMC version of an Avalanche. They may be built on the same chassis but there are differences between the 2 brands.
    Last edited by dragonfyre; 04-30-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre View Post
    Also, GMC passed Dodge in sales last year to be #3 in truck sales. There is no Denali version of a Chevy just as there is no GMC version of an Avalanche. They may be built on the same chassis but there are differences between the 2 brands.
    The differences you refer to are some different body panels, interior trim and some other performance options. The simple fact of the matter is that GMC has a counterpart of every one of their vehicles in the Chevy line. The Denali upgrade could easily be rebranded to Chevy if they decide to do away with GMC.

My conjecture is that they decided to keep GMC not because of them having unique vehicles, but because it represents a truck line for their remaining Buick dealers. Otherwise, I believe many of their Buick dealers would go under because I believe they would have a hard time making it on just one brand.

I'm not hating on GMC by a long stretch, I'm just telling it like I see it. My last truck was a GMC. My current one is a Chevy. I was looking for another GMC, but if you saw the deal I got on my Chevy you would understand.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Just found this little tidbit on Yahoo news regarding Saturn and GM looking to sell the brand two years early.

"GM has said it wants to sell or get rid of Saturn, Hummer and Saab as it restructures, so it can once again become profitable. It's also getting rid of the Pontiac brand."

Looks like Hummer is on the chopping block too.
    I just hadn't heard that on the news stations I've been able to catch the last few days.
    Maybe they could let them spin off and have another independent line of automaker.See how long they stand on their own four wheels.
    I also wonder if this is what Ah-nold had in mind when he begged the GM division that was making HMMVVs for the military to sell him one so he could have the most unique ride in California.

Forum Member

This morning on a commercial break from the local news,one dealer had one of the new Camaros on their lot.It looked pretty good,kept the original lines but modernized them somehow.
    HOWEVER,the model shown was the most godawful puke yellow I'd seen since the first time I saw Harrison Ford in a yellow truck as he cruised around "American Graffitti".
    I guess they couldn't find a basic black one or fire engine red(not that I would buy a red vehicle.firefighters,even former ones in a red truck.how cliche'd).

Thread Information