Thread: tank age

MembersZone Subscriber

Post tank age

Screw it...... I've gone through 23 pages of search and can't find a definitive answer.

When determining age of a tanker I have always used the chassis age. However I just reviewed an app from a different department that used thier tank age (much older) to determine the age of the tanker.

I'm guessing this is NOT the copasetic way to do this

Forum Member

Official age is determined by the title. Justification on "rechassis" and such can be easily explained in the narrative.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting idea. If you're trying to replace the tank on an existing truck I think FG counts this as a vehicle app. Which doesn't make any sense to me but they reportedly count it as a refurb.

So the 1970 tank on a 1985 chassis is a 1970?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Interesting idea. If you're trying to replace the tank on an existing truck I think FG counts this as a vehicle app. Which doesn't make any sense to me but they reportedly count it as a refurb.

So the 1970 tank on a 1985 chassis is a 1970?
    See, in doing vehicle apps I've always considered the age of the truck, not the age of the tank...

IE 1970 tank on 1985 chassis is a 1985....

Forum Member

That's right.

MembersZone Subscriber

As long as you can justify the need to replace age difference shouldn't matter. I was able to get a new engine awarded that was a 1970 body on a 1990 chassis. The body was shot and could not be salvaged, the chassis was in good shape but open air rear so I went for a full replacement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF2510 View Post
    As long as you can justify the need to replace age difference shouldn't matter. I was able to get a new engine awarded that was a 1970 body on a 1990 chassis. The body was shot and could not be salvaged, the chassis was in good shape but open air rear so I went for a full replacement.
    True, but these guys are really small. Average age of fleet ect are all going to be critical to get it past the computer.

Forum Member

think of it from an auditors perspective if they get awarded.
    He/she will want to see documentation that shows the 1970 tank truck has been replaced by a new vehicle. When they look to see the disposition paperwork that shows what happened to the 1970 chassis and the title says 1985 ::::
    BAM down come the house of cards and the auditor drives off in the new truck. To be shortly followed by a visit from the folks with shiny bracelets for fraud.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 04-29-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: correcting the details

Default tanker age

we are having the same problem. we have a tanker with a 1970 tank and a 1990 chassis but we dont want to replace that truck. we need to replace our 1978 pumper.If we use the 1970 date it reduces our fleet average to 20 years.Does anyone out there believe it should be done this way

Thread Information