Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Open book promotional exam

This will be the first open book (captain) promotional exam for me. In what ways does the approach, study techniques, etc. differ from a closed book? Any iformation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is the point of having an open book promotional exam?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

That's what I'm trying to figure out more thoroughly.

From what I gather so far, closed book is just a memorization test, in the opinion of some HR people. In open book, they want to see what you do with the information, according to one source.

MembersZone Subscriber DFCFFEMT14's Avatar

Not sure, if your test is gone by or not, but I hope this helps you. If it doesnt, hopefully it will help someone else.

While doing my AAS in the classroom, most tests were closed book, but I did have a few open book tests as well. Now that I am taking my BS through CSU, all quizzes/tests are open books although some finals have to be proctored.

I'll admit that I have never heard of an open book promotional exam, but in many ways does seem to make sense.

The thought behind a traditional closed book test is that it measures an individuals ability to remember things and shows they have made an effort to study. The thought with an open book test is that it measures your ability to find information. With that it requires that you do have a certain amount of knowledge on the subject.

I think both tests have their place and there is definately some information that is important to have memorized and easily accessable in your brain. On the flip side how many times whether it be for a class or a course in college or even HS did you study yourself crazy, passed the test with flying colors, and then a month later can only remember a fraction of the information. What is the point of cramming all kinds of information into your brain just to pass a test?

I understand that we all have different viewpoints on things, but just take this example with a grain of salt..
    Say you are sitting around the station talking about a new building that is being built in your district. One of the guys asks "hey Loo what temperature do those gusset plates they are using fail at?" He rattles of a number and some other info leaving everyone amazed.
    Same scenario, but instead of spitting out a quick reply, the Loo walks over to the bookshelf, grabs a book, looks at it for a second and flips it open and shows everyone the answer. At the same time he has the ability to continue the learning process by reviewing that section of the chapter.

I am by no means saying that in either case the Loo would be wrong, just an example of how each style of knowledge is displayed. Is the exact temperature at which a particular gusset plate fails important information to have memorized or is it important to have a general understanding of the dangers and know where to get more information?? I am not advocating that it is only important to know where to get information because there is certain information that we need to know when we dont have the resources handy.

I hope that helps to get a better understanding of the rationale and practicality of each type of testing/learning. As far as studying for an open book test: have a good understanding of the material, try to memorize the stuff you know would apply to everyday usage(because you're going to use it and if its on the test you wont have to look it up), know where it is located in the text, and know how the table of contents and index are set up.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

Forum Member

The true test of a good attorney is knowing where to find the information and case study that would be the best defense for their clients.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

I've taken a series of four NICET tests and all of those were open book.

Knock yourself out, you can bring the entire NFPA standard set in a little red wagon if you wish. But one problem, the test is timed.

If you take any time to look much of anything up you will run out of time and fail.

I suspect the test is timed?
    Last edited by nicetIV; 09-09-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Forum Member

Yes it was. It's over. The strategy you described is the one I used, and it was the correct one. I lost interest in the exam and didn't study that hard, so I didn't do well.
    So anyone interested would be wise to study an open book exam almost like a closed book.

I'm with Captain Bob on this one. Sorry to hear you did not do well on the test. I taken several open book exams and it hard to memorize everything......knowing where to look it up is ....wait for it....Priceless
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

What book are you being tested on?
    "Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
    Byron Pulsifer

Administrator

Default thread to close

Please be advised that due to no activity on this thread in the past 60 days, we will be closing the thread in a few days. Thank you for your participation in Firehouse.com forums.

Firehouse Web Manager

Thread Information