Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Live- in programs

Hey everybody I've got a year left in the Air Force as a medic. I'm currently a FF2/EMT-B volunteer firefighter. Getting out pretty soon and heard that some volunteer departments have programs that allow you to live in the firehouse if you have a full time job, or are a full time student. I wanna go to medic school when I get out or get I99 at least before I start applying, but does anyone know if being a live-in volunteer helps when it comes to hiring? Naturally, these guys run a lot of calls in some areas like PG County, MD for instance, so I'm thinking very seriously of doing this while I'm in medic school.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too am very interested in doing something very similar. I really would like to get my paramedic license while doing a live-in program.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah I figure the experience factor would be a plus whenever I start applying, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to take advantage of one of these programs.

Forum Member

It does depend upon where you are looking to go for school and if there is a dept doing such a program. In WI, there are several volunteer depts that have such programs, some are now a 3 year program where you do a 2 year Associates in Fire Science and a 1 year paramedic. The dept typically takes care of the tab for medic and helps with some school costs and you also may get a stipend even while receiving room and board.

I was able to do such a live in program while going to school. I found out about it when I applied for Fire Science and received a couple notices about the programs. I had to apply and go through an interview process to get the position, but it was well worth it. I still paid for my core classes, but the dept picked up the tab for books, they also paid for EMT-B and half of the fire academy. The also paid for any related fire certs I wanted to go for like Driver/Operator, etc. Along with that I got a monthly stipend and we would get paid for any calls we would go on, besides free room and board. I had to do 2 duty nights a week and alternated a duty weekend every other weekend.

As for getting hired from such a program, it really does depend. Any experience is helpful, but don't rely on such a program to springboard into a career. Instead it is the education you receive which will help you, but if there is such a program, by all means take advantage. I can really only speak for Wisconsin and not every school has such depts to do a live in.

The closest tech school for our dept offers an internship program and you can be an intern on a career dept. You get assigned to a shift and you work the shift as scheduled, but you don't live at the station off duty. A huge benefit for such a program is you do get experience of how that dept operates and you get to know some of the members and you can make a name for yourself. So if one decides to apply to the dept, it does help your chances of getting hired because they already know you and your work ethic, your established.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

Pg doesn't currently have a volunteer medic program, so if you do go to school to get your medic you will have to pay to do it through a community college.

There are plenty of houses in PG with volunteer live in spaces. If you're looking for somewhere near UMD check out the 4th and 6th battalions....PG is a department with a very strong volunteer base, and is a great place to come to get some experience.

If you want, send me a private message and I'll get you more details. I'm currently a live in within the county, and have had a very good experience from it.
    Last edited by somebody509; 04-30-2009 at 01:49 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well for whatever reason the sites not letting me PM because I supposedly turned it off, and have no idea how to turn it back on. I don't know what the problem is. Anyways Somebody509 which company are you in?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    Pg doesn't currently have a volunteer medic program, so if you do go to school to get your medic you will have to pay to do it through a community college.

There are plenty of houses in PG with volunteer live in spaces. If you're looking for somewhere near UMD check out the 4th and 6th battalions....PG is a department with a very strong volunteer base, and is a great place to come to get some experience.

If you want, send me a private message and I'll get you more details. I'm currently a live in within the county, and have had a very good experience from it.
    I figured I would have to pay for my medic program out of pocket which is fine because up until now, 58 credit hours into an associates.. I've paid cash for all of it and I can just take a student loan out for my medic. Does UMD have a very good Medic program or would a Community College in the area be a better choice? What company are you a live-in with? I had sent an email to Kentland and College Park and have not received a reply from either house yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by strub34 View Post
    I figured I would have to pay for my medic program out of pocket which is fine because up until now, 58 credit hours into an associates.. I've paid cash for all of it and I can just take a student loan out for my medic. Does UMD have a very good Medic program or would a Community College in the area be a better choice? What company are you a live-in with? I had sent an email to Kentland and College Park and have not received a reply from either house yet.
    UMD does not have a medic program, so you would have to do it through a community college.

I'm a live in with the Chillum-Adelphi VFD(station 34), we're about 5 minutes off of UMD campus, right on the Montgomery County border.
    Last edited by somebody509; 05-05-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Forum Member

i am currently going threw a 2 year fire science degree in PA and I'm almost done with it and I'm thinking about moving somewhere and getting into a live-in program to maybe start an emergency management degree or medic program. any input? suggestions on good places? any info on degree choices?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're wanting in the fire service as a career firefighter, I'd say Medic Program. I also am looking down that route as I have reached a stand still in my current area as for classes and stuff to take. I also want to get out and see what everyone else is doing and how things work else where in the world.

If you end up finding any live-in's or go the medic route, let me know! Shoot me a PM and maybe we'll end up on the same live-in shift!

Forum Member

there are medic programs, as well as the emergency management degree you mentioned. You could also get a BA(4 year degree) in fire science at a local college in PG...The choice is up to you. As to where to look, it depends on what you're looking for. Each station is different. I suggest checking out their websites and doing ride alongs in the county to get a feel for where you'd like to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

My current house has a nearly non existent call volume so I'd like find a busy house with one of those programs and get some experience while I'm in school. I mean the guys at Florosa are great people but the experience factor is pretty limited around here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am the same way, merchan. I'm thinking we average around 65-70 calls a year. I used to work in a house that averaged 150 calls a year but still that's not where I want to be.

I will be pursuing this further tomorrow and hopefully getting some information and ride-along forms filled out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I was lookin at PG County's run stats and they run more calls in a single month in alot of their houses we run in a full year.

Forum Member

Departments in PG average between 3000(on the slower side) and 7500 calls a year. There are departments that run a lot of fire calls, some that run a lot of EMS calls, and some that run a good mix. If you're younger and looking to be near the UMD campus/UMUC(you'd go here to get a BA in fire science) check out fire houses in the 4th(and some of the 6th) (1, 34, 12, 11, 9, 33, 7, 13).

The best thing you can do is get down here and do some ride-a-longs with the departments in the area to get a feel as to which one is best for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Departments in PG average between 3000(on the slower side) and 7500 calls a year. There are departments that run a lot of fire calls, some that run a lot of EMS calls, and some that run a good mix. If you're younger and looking to be near the UMD campus/UMUC(you'd go here to get a BA in fire science) check out fire houses in the 4th(and some of the 6th) (1, 34, 12, 11, 9, 33, 7, 13).

The best thing you can do is get down here and do some ride-a-longs with the departments in the area to get a feel as to which one is best for you.
    I took your advice and did some ride-along with the guys at station 9 in Bladensburg. Only crew I've rode with but the hospitality from all the guys and the way they all worked together inspired me to apply. I'm currently waiting to schedule my physical/blood work. PG's Head guy has been at beach week since last weekend so it's kind of frustrating. Apparently they have a new 72 hour process rather than the old month long drawn out deal. Hopefully I will soon be running a few boxes with you at 34. I'm looking at maybe middle of July moving in and getting all my school **** lined out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by strub34 View Post
    I took your advice and did some ride-along with the guys at station 9 in Bladensburg. Only crew I've rode with but the hospitality from all the guys and the way they all worked together inspired me to apply. I'm currently waiting to schedule my physical/blood work. PG's Head guy has been at beach week since last weekend so it's kind of frustrating. Apparently they have a new 72 hour process rather than the old month long drawn out deal. Hopefully I will soon be running a few boxes with you at 34. I'm looking at maybe middle of July moving in and getting all my school **** lined out.
    good luck. Right now all physicals are on hold due to the budget cuts but they should be opening back up next month...Hopefully they'll be able to get you through fast, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting it done in under a month...but hey if you do good for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

good luck. Right now all physicals are on hold due to the budget cuts but they should be opening back up next month...Hopefully they'll be able to get you through fast, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on getting it done in under a month...but hey if you do good for you.
    The pickels's at 9 (officers) said that county will be opening their physicals again July 1st. I'm going to get in asap to get everything done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Strub, PG comunity college has a medic program starting in August. Give them a call and see if you can still get in. It runs 2 days a week (8hr days) for a year or two. Good luck at 9, I'll most likely run into you at sometime.

Chad

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chasselber1 View Post
    Strub, PG comunity college has a medic program starting in August. Give them a call and see if you can still get in. It runs 2 days a week (8hr days) for a year or two. Good luck at 9, I'll most likely run into you at sometime.

Chad
    I'll get right on that in the morning. I currently have my EMT-B and was told I would have to take my EMT-I and then a bridge class to get my P. I'm willing to do it either way. What house are you at?

MembersZone Subscriber

7, Get on it quick. We got orientation either the 24/25 of june or july. Gotta check the email to be sure. I'm good friends wit a bunch of guys at 9. As long as you keep yours ears open and mouth shut you'll be great. Oh and dont be afraid to jump on the ambo for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

7, Get on it quick. We got orientation either the 24/25 of june or july. Gotta check the email to be sure. I'm good friends wit a bunch of guys at 9. As long as you keep yours ears open and mouth shut you'll be great. Oh and dont be afraid to jump on the ambo for a while.
    Cool cool, you all get terminex to come take care of that bug that was in your house?

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL, yea they were here a couple different times. I sent them over to 9 to spray also.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL, yea they were here a couple different times. I sent them over to 9 to spray also.
    Psh don't even try to say that before I get there! I was just trying to bust some balls before I get to MD. I'm getting ready to call here in about 2 hours to confirm my physical date with county.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL its all good man.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information