Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default HazRef 2008 - iPhone Hazardous Materials Reference

Howdy firefighters!

My name is Erik, a software engineer and author of the iPhone application "HazRef 2008". I would like to offer Firehouse.com members 10 free downloads of my application to both promote it and to give back to the firefighter community! The first 10 people to send me mail, a private message or post in this thread will get a code that can be used in the iTunes App Store for a free download.

HazRef 2008 is a native iPhone application which allows you to browse and search a catalog of nearly 3000 hazardous materials. As a native application, all information is on your iPhone and does not require network connectivity to function. The information in HazRef 2008 is primarily from 49CFR 172.X and the DOT Emergency Response Guide 2008. Material hazard class, packing group, typical placard and transportation codes are provided for all materials. Each material is linked to it's guide (from the ERG) which obviates tedious ( and error prone ) searching in the ERG for the appropriate guide to start working from. Guides are also linked to from the visual placard database, so you can start responding appropriately even if you don't know the material but can see a placard.

I wrote HazRef 2008 primarily to satisfy my own curiosity about what materials were described by the UN numbers I saw on my daily commute. My Father-in-Law and Brother-in-Law are both first responders ( volunteer firefighter and EMS respectively ) and they both encouraged me to expand my work from just a database look up to include data from the Emergency Response Guide and anything else that a first responder might find handy. As such, HazRef 2008 is a work in progress and I am continually adding data as my free time allows. I have an update pending with Apple that I hope to see available this week which adds initial isolation and protective action distances where appropriate. Future updates will include the TIH table, the ERG glossary, transportation code magic decoder ring and the option to add hazardous material regional coordinator contacts ( as found in the ERG ) to you phone book for quick access. Since I am a software engineer and not a first responder, I rely on my user community for feedback on what I get right and what I can improve on.

I apologize for the commercial first post and I hope I took the sting out by offering free goodies. After the promotional codes give out, please consider downloading the 'Lite' version of HazRef 2008 which has all the features but a much smaller catalog of materials. HazRef 2008 and and HazRef Lite can both be found in the Apple iTunes App Store by searching for "HazRef" or following these horrifying links:

HazRef 2008 - http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...306654573&mt=8

HazRef Lite - http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...308022581&mt=8

I can be reached by email at erik@symbolicarmageddon.com or via the forums at http://forums.symbolicarmageddon.com.

Thanks for looking!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey bro., can I get your code? I tried the lite version and it looks good.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chasselber1 View Post
    Hey bro., can I get your code? I tried the lite version and it looks good.
    You bet. I tried to send you a private message but they appear to be turned off for you (they were off for me as well, turns out you have to enable that in your profile). Send me an email and I will get you a code post haste.

erik@symbolicarmageddon.com

Smile I'll take a chance...

I don't have my iPhone yet, but I'll take a chance that there may be a slot left in your offer. Yes, I know it's been open for 6 months. Is there an expiration? I'm haven't decided which model iPhone I'm getting yet.

Thanks,
    Joe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCC74656 View Post
    I don't have my iPhone yet, but I'll take a chance that there may be a slot left in your offer. Yes, I know it's been open for 6 months. Is there an expiration? I'm haven't decided which model iPhone I'm getting yet.

Thanks,
    Joe
    The offer is still open and I will be glad to send you a code, however the codes have a shelf life ( 30 days from when I get them from Apple ). Let me know when you get your iPhone (or iPod Touch, it works on both ) and I will send you a promotional code!

Forum Member

I'm willing to give it a try. If it's good, I'll let the others in my department with iphones know about it.

Thanks,
    Tom

god

Ill give it a shot if it's not too late! I've been looking for good HazMat reference software!

Forum Member

Promotional codes for HazRef 2008 are still available, send me some mail direct and I will reply with the code and instructions on how to redeem it. Send mail to erik@symbolicarmageddon.com.

I've recently updated HazRef 2008, more information can be found at:

http://blog.symbolicarmageddon.com

Thanks for your interest all!

Forum Member

Hi

Are there any codes left, i really need this.

Let us know when you release it for Android OS.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Let us know when you release it for Android OS.
    I get many requests for ports of HazRef 2008 to other mobile platforms and unfortunately I have to say no. There are several reasons, but first and foremost I'm a one-man show and the choice would be to support HazRef 2008 as best as I can on one platform, or poorly on several. Second is more personal; I really dislike Java. I know that doesn't provide much solace to those of you with other mobile platforms.

If someone were to come to me, I would consider sharing my data and methods to help produce a HazRef-like app on their platform of choice ( even iPhone, although I may be a little less forthcoming with all my secrets ).

Sorry to disappoint.

Erik

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pilotbaxter007 View Post
    Hi

Are there any codes left, i really need this.
    I received your email too, look for a reply shortly. Codes are definitely still available for the asking. All I ask in return is a short review in the App Store if you like it and email me if you dislike it before you ding me in the App Store

Erik

Forum Member

If still available I would definitely give it a work over.

Thread Information