Forum Member

Default Charging banks for 6 handheld radios

I had almost forgot to get state pricing on these charging banks. Glad I did. Around $480 each. (holy cow). Anyway, I'm gonna have to include these even if it runs my project costs up. This is an unknown area for me, but believe they are necessary. Has anyone had any encounters with acquiring such equipment? Maybe failed to include them and wished they had or wished they hadn't? I have a feeling that with 68 handhelds, having a charging bank could free up a lot of electrical outlets and preserve the batteries.

Forum Member

Jam, we have them on four of our trucks, they are great as long the radios get cycled, otherwise it kills your batteries a lot faster. The banks that we have are made for six kenwoods, a couple of the others I have seen can be set for different brands or different models. If you are doing a comms grant, I would recommend a vehicle repeater as wel, we have them on our engines, and they are great for being away from the truck and still using your handheld, as well as if you are in a building and trying to talk on a heandheld.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't they make a multiple-bay charging/reconditioning system? Might be something to look into to extend battery life.

Forum Member

You can't recondition portable radio batteries while they are still attached to the radio. The charging terminals on the back of batteries are protected by diodes to prevent current from flowing back out through them. Battery reconditioners require the battery to be removed from the radio and they connect up to the terminals on the radio side of the battery. This basically means you won't be doing any battery conditioning in the apparatus or in any automatic fashion. The exception to this is the expensive Motorola Impress system which has batteries and chargers designed to work together.

To be honest, it isn't worth the expense. You are going to have to replace the batteries after 5-10 years at best regardless of how much you try to pamper them.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Spec a spare battery for each, and a conditioner, and rotate your batteries on/off the radio & conditioner...
    Monthly conditioning does help.. but I think even 5 years is way optimistic...

Forum Member

Heck in 5 years it's time to replace the radio, the way ours get abused.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    You can't recondition portable radio batteries while they are still attached to the radio. The charging terminals on the back of batteries are protected by diodes to prevent current from flowing back out through them. Battery reconditioners require the battery to be removed from the radio and they connect up to the terminals on the radio side of the battery. This basically means you won't be doing any battery conditioning in the apparatus or in any automatic fashion. The exception to this is the expensive Motorola Impress system which has batteries and chargers designed to work together.

To be honest, it isn't worth the expense. You are going to have to replace the batteries after 5-10 years at best regardless of how much you try to pamper them.
    '
    Holy Crap! After I get this submitted I'm the one going to need 'Pampers'!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Jam, we have them on four of our trucks, they are great as long the radios get cycled, otherwise it kills your batteries a lot faster. The banks that we have are made for six kenwoods, a couple of the others I have seen can be set for different brands or different models. If you are doing a comms grant, I would recommend a vehicle repeater as wel, we have them on our engines, and they are great for being away from the truck and still using your handheld, as well as if you are in a building and trying to talk on a heandheld.
    Hey 'Lime', thanks for everything.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree with Andy on this one. Get gang chargers for your
    vehicles, spare batteries, and have a procedure for the batteries to be rotated through the conditioners which you would keep at the stations.

Forum Member

Buying a spare battery for every radio is probably a significant waste of money. Buy a few to carry you over in case a battery prematurly fails here and there.

Having a spare for every radio will accomplish nothing but doubling the amount of batteries you have to throw away in 5-10 years. The shelf life will expire before you ever have a chance to put them in service. Rotating them in regular service will also not gain you anything. They will still crap out at the same time and simply double the amount of money and trash.

Forum Member

Gotta think green and find a place you can turn the batteries back into. I just need to find a way to work that into my go green station grant.

Forum Member

Now the green aspect makes me wonder if I should include in the narrative and the budget, allocations for the elimination of old mobile, base and handheld radios? Could that be one of the factors to change that one reviewers mind about funding the application?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Gotta think green and find a place you can turn the batteries back into. I just need to find a way to work that into my go green station grant.
    http://www.rbrc.org/community/index.html
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Forum Member

There is no special disposal for the radios themselves. Batteries are the only things you could dispose of in a special manner however I find tossing them in a nearby trash can to be more than sufficient.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    There is no special disposal for the radios themselves. Batteries are the only things you could dispose of in a special manner however I find tossing them in a nearby trash can to be more than sufficient.
    Home Depot, RadioShack and a few other places recycle them. Best Buy now even handles TV and other electronics recycling. Free on TVs purchased over $999, which is the excuse I'm using on the wife to let me buy one that expensive since the 36" tube finally took a dump last month. Not that I've watched more than 30 minutes in the past 20 days. Planning ahead for post AFG. Under 20 days, little sanity left, I'm already on the road to being a vegetable, might as well be one in front of a nice big flat screen.

Thread Information