Default From firefighter to administrator

Does anyone have experience going from working as a firefighter to working as an administrator either in public safety or government? I am currently a firefighter (8 yrs) and I'm working on my MPA degree. When I finish I'd like to make a change to an administrator position either continuing in public safety or going into government. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

harrfd24

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrfd24 View Post
    Does anyone have experience going from working as a firefighter to working as an administrator either in public safety or government? I am currently a firefighter (8 yrs) and I'm working on my MPA degree. When I finish I'd like to make a change to an administrator position either continuing in public safety or going into government. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

harrfd24

The Fire Chief of the DCFD, came up through the ranks. He was been the City Manager in Dothan, Alabama, before being appointed the Fire Chief in Atlanta. Before being a City Manager, he had been a FF in DCFD, Chief Officer in AZ, VA and the Chief in Dothan.

Does that count?

BTW, I had always love being a fireman and not to get into politics.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Experince is key. 8 yrs is not enough. Education only goes so far.

Forum Member

With a Masters and 8 years experience in the fire service you will definitely find jobs. In recent years, emergency preparedness has become a forefront in many communities and organizations. Other than FD's and city manager positions, Hospitals, health departments, large businesses have created emergency management coordinator positions. You will be more than qualified for many of the coordinator positions at FEMA too. Do a job search at usajobs.

I'm currently in an administrative role looking to transition into an FD. I have a BS and 2 years EMS experience and landed a job for the State of Florida health department. With a masters you are VERY qualified. good luck in your search. What city/area do you want to work in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donedeal View Post
    With a Masters and 8 years experience in the fire service you will definitely find jobs. In recent years, emergency preparedness has become a forefront in many communities and organizations. Other than FD's and city manager positions, Hospitals, health departments, large businesses have created emergency management coordinator positions. You will be more than qualified for many of the coordinator positions at FEMA too. Do a job search at usajobs.

I'm currently in an administrative role looking to transition into an FD. I have a BS and 2 years EMS experience and landed a job for the State of Florida health department. With a masters you are VERY qualified. good luck in your search. What city/area do you want to work in?

What type of job in the fire dept are you seeking? Do you have any fire service experience?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    What type of job in the fire dept are you seeking? Do you have any fire service experience?
    Entry level, ff/paramedic. I'm looking for a long term career, eventually leading to an administrative role in the fire service.

Thanks for the info Capt, it is helpful knowing my situation is not unique.

Thanks for the well wishes, good luck to you in your quest. I'm hoping to find something in southern new england, RI, MA, CT.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is great that you have a plan but learn the job first. You are getting some good education and public administration is a far better path compared to "fire science" or some other worthless degree.
    Spend some time in the trenches and put some energy into being good at that first, once you have some time in then worry about where to go then.
    I spent some time in management prior to having enough time in and it was wrong to take the job at that time.
    It is good to want to advance but time is the BEST teacher, and no college degree will replace that.

Thread Information