Forum Member

Default interview question twist?

I had an interview with a FD recently and they asked me this question.

"You are on the scene of an emergency and your officer tells you to do something illegal or immoral...what do you do?

Now of course you dont want to break any rules especially the oath you took when hired about stealing and honesty. The public trusts you to do the best thing.

Is there a difference between you doing something illegal or immoral on your own compared to having your officer tell you to do the immoral/illegal act.

Should you always do what your officer tells you to do no matter what....REMEMBER...THIS IS INTERVIEW PURPOSES ONLY!!

Thanks!

Forum Member

You should get on the radio and repeat the command back to the officer, when he confirms the command back over the radio it will be recorded. Then if theres a problem with the actions taken on scene it will backfire on the officer and not on you.

Permanently Removed

Tagged, be right back.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoselayer211 View Post
    I had an interview with a FD recently and they asked me this question.

"You are on the scene of an emergency and your officer tells you to do something illegal or immoral...what do you do?

Now of course you dont want to break any rules especially the oath you took when hired about stealing and honesty. The public trusts you to do the best thing.

Is there a difference between you doing something illegal or immoral on your own compared to having your officer tell you to do the immoral/illegal act.

Should you always do what your officer tells you to do no matter what....REMEMBER...THIS IS INTERVIEW PURPOSES ONLY!!

Thanks!
    You're kidding...right?

Forum Member

no im not kidding.

The reason I ask is that I have been getting mixed answers on this one.

Obviously your not going to do anything illegal on your own, but some people are saying that you need to do whatever your officer tells you to do no matter what. You shouldnt disobey any order, that may show that you dont trust your officer.

I answered that I wouldnt do anything illegal on my own and wouldnt do the illegal act when asked by my officer. It sounded good to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoselayer211 View Post
    no im not kidding.

The reason I ask is that I have been getting mixed answers on this one.

Obviously your not going to do anything illegal on your own, but some people are saying that you need to do whatever your officer tells you to do no matter what. You shouldnt disobey any order, that may show that you dont trust your officer.

I answered that I wouldnt do anything illegal on my own and wouldnt do the illegal act when asked by my officer. It sounded good to me.
    Wow! This is obvious. I think the panel is wanting to know if you are a robot or you have the ability to think for yourself. Just because the officer says it doesn't mean you have to do it. I can't believe people say do something illegal. "Hey the Lt. says murder the family and torch the house we want more hose time" "Ok, don't wanna disobey."
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

hose211-

WOW.

The Nazi's murdered 10 million, took over Germany and almost the world because of people that can't figure out the right answer to that question.

It's called a conscience, maybe they'll issue you one at your new department.

Forum Member

ok fellas, wow this is really gettng blown out of proportion...

i was thinking something borderline illegal/immoral on a much smaller scale, not as far as Nazi Germany and murdering people. I get your point.

Thanks

Thread Information