Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Harrisburg FireExpo

I plan on going to the Expo this year and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to make sure I see. I've been to FDIC a few time but have heard Harrisburg is quite the show as well. Is there anything interesting worth going to in the evenings? (In addition to the bars....of course)

Thanks...

Forum Member

Make sure you get to the Harrisburg Fire Museum.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Todd,If you venture into the Smeal booth in the main hall,you'll see my new "toy".Lot's to see and do in Harrisburg,Including getting your *** rearranged if you buy the WRONG Phillysteak.hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Hersheypark's not too far away if you like coasters.

Don't know if you can get a good cheesesteak in Harrisburg. We have a hard enough time finding good ones in the Reading area. The only good ones we have around here are made at restaurants owned by Philly area transplants.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I'll second Hershey Park. If SWMBO came we would do Hershey Park one day and the show another. In some years they have had a firefighter's parade the Saturday of the show, I have no idea if that will happen this year. It was by far the best parade I have ever seen fire apparatus from all over the mid atlantic. The expois not as flashy as FDIC but it is a very good show there are many central pa md. units there and they are always beautiful units. The ideas are a plenty. I'll be there all weekend look me up.
    Last edited by Fyrtrks; 05-01-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are coming from somewhere nowhere's near the Expo, be sure to wear every radio, pager, pda, cell phone and any other battery operated device just like all the Central PA Rednecks do!!!

Oh, and add a "Redneck Firefighter" T-shirt to top it off!!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

So wearing all your stuff is not just limited to the midwest? LMAO. You gotta love the guys that are 300 miles from home and have all their crap on.

Forum Member

The biggest smile i get is the young Amish brothers that have thier suspenders on and thier pants sagging because of thier electronics. I always see at least a dozen of them.

I do have to say they spare no expense on thier fire apparatus.
    Fyrtrks

MembersZone Subscriber

D@mn you Todd. I've been wanting to get out there for this, and also the big Pump Primers (right?) muster in PA.

One of these days. Tell me how it was, will ya?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    D@mn you Todd. I've been wanting to get out there for this, and also the big Pump Primers (right?) muster in PA.

One of these days. Tell me how it was, will ya?
    You gotta figure out a way to do both, Joel, even if it's different years. They're about 7 weeks apart. Expo is the 3rd weekend in May, PPP muster is the 2nd Saturday in July. Mark your calendar!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Todd,If you venture into the Smeal booth in the main hall,you'll see my new "toy".Lot's to see and do in Harrisburg,Including getting your *** rearranged if you buy the WRONG Phillysteak.hehe T.C.
    Our new Smeal engine will be on display as well.

Forum Member

The PPP Muster is July 11.

I consider this to be the SUPER BOWL of antique fire truck musters. Anyone with any hair of an interest in antique fire trucks needs to come to the PPP Muster at least ONCE in their lives. If you are blind, crippled, and deaf, you will be healed instantly at the sight of 50 to 100 trucks pumping. I just started a photobucket site, here are two shots from last year to "motivate" you:

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...PPP2008074.jpg
    http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...PPP2008032.jpg

I implore everyone to leave SWMBO at home. You need time to enjoy the sights, to feel the ground vibrating next to an Ahrens-Fox piston pumper, to smell the exhaust, to lay your Mack prayer rug out on the ground and pray to the Mack gods (pointed at Allentown, of course....) This is not a show to bring SWMBO to unless they enjoy this kind of thing. It is a hot, sticky day with LOTS of walking, exhaust, sprays of dirty river water, bugs, etc. If you absolutely, positively MUST bring her, to keep her at bay, there is always some kind of flea market just upriver within walking distance from the muster that supposedly has lots of artsy-fartsy crap that SWMBO's apparently like. SWMBO's will walk around, get bored, cry about the heat, the bugs, the stickyness, blah blah blah blah blah..........

This year, myself and FWDbuff-1 and FWDbuff-2 will be coming out on Friday Night and getting a hotel room at the Days Inn right there at the muster location so that we are there bright and early!
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-02-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    [B][SIZE="5"]

This year, myself and FWDbuff-1 and FWDbuff-2 will be coming out on Friday Night and getting a hotel room at the Days Inn right there at the muster location so that we are there bright and early!
    Leave room in the car, you've got to drop me off in Berlinsville (Walnutport) on your way home.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Leave room in the car, you've got to drop me off in Berlinsville (Walnutport) on your way home.
    Oh hell thats not too far out of my way, I'll let you off at I78/SR309 and you can hitch hike.

Forum Member

Hey,you two gotta pop over to the Giamex thread. I'm cracking Tony's stones,hehe T.c.

Forum Member

It looks like Rosenbauer will have demos with live burns at the Harrisburg Fire Training School on Friday and Saturday night.

http://majorfiretech.com/_pdf/Shobro.pdf

Forum Member

They had demos last year as well. pretty interesting if you haven't played with the "toys" before. We put the Timberwolf through it's paces. T.C.

Forum Member

I thought as an overseas tourist that Harrisburg was a good show, was a massive eye opener into how its done in the USA, but boy oh boy, we couldn't stop laughing at all the wackers. Never seen so many blue light bars, pagers, radios and never ending wallets. I couldn't believe the guys walking out with full lightbars under their arms ! WOW

But I got some great ideas, bought a few things we can't easily get over hear and met some great guys and gals. Thanks to Cheif11 for showing us around and putting up with us traking from one end of the place to the other for several days, and it takes that long to do things properly.

I would have to say, I did prefer the smaller builders stands to the large guys. It seemed the smaller builders actually gave a **** that you were looking at your stuff.

I would say go once, and make your own mind up, but I would go again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pumper8032 View Post
    I thought as an overseas tourist that Harrisburg was a good show, was a massive eye opener into how its done in the USA, but boy oh boy, we couldn't stop laughing at all the wackers. Never seen so many blue light bars, pagers, radios and never ending wallets. I couldn't believe the guys walking out with full lightbars under their arms ! WOW

But I got some great ideas, bought a few things we can't easily get over hear and met some great guys and gals. Thanks to Cheif11 for showing us around and putting up with us traking from one end of the place to the other for several days, and it takes that long to do things properly.

I would have to say, I did prefer the smaller builders stands to the large guys. It seemed the smaller builders actually gave a **** that you were looking at your stuff.

I would say go once, and make your own mind up, but I would go again.
    And we have lots more to show you, bring yourself on!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Harrisburg Show

No doubt about it, Harrisburg is the big Vollie show. I get a kick out of looking at the fully loaded out big "Battle Star Gallactica Rigs" at this show. The vollies definately have the money to buy what they want.

I thought the regional food in Harrisburg is "Scrabble"! Of course, never ask what is in it!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    No doubt about it, Harrisburg is the big Vollie show. I get a kick out of looking at the fully loaded out big "Battle Star Gallactica Rigs" at this show. The vollies definately have the money to buy what they want.

I thought the regional food in Harrisburg is "Scrabble"! Of course, never ask what is in it!
    SCRAPPLE! And that's right, you don't want to know what's in it. Look at the first syllable of its name for a clue.

All parts of a pig get used, except the squeal. What's not fit for anything else goes into sausage. If it's not fit to be used in sausage, it goes into scrapple.

A Pennsylvania legislator was once heard to tell a vistor, "There are two things in Pennsylvania that you do not want to see being made. One is a state law, the other is scrapple."

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Scrapple, all the stuff that doesnt make the cut foe SPAM, nuff said.

Forum Member

Ahh, man. I haven't seen or had any fresh scrapple in over 20 years, close to 30. But I remember being told that they boiled the whole head to get the good stuff.

Being from the Dundalk area of Baltimore, it was always on the griddle frying on bacon grease with some eggs on Sunday morning. My mom being from the south, used to make grits along with it sometimes.

The crap we get here, is that....CRAP. Or even worse, frozen.

I don't remember the taste, but I remember that I loved it.

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Ahh, man. I haven't seen or had any fresh scrapple in over 20 years, close to 30. But I remember being told that they boiled the whole head to get the good stuff.

Being from the Dundalk area of Baltimore, it was always on the griddle frying on bacon grease with some eggs on Sunday morning. My mom being from the south, used to make grits along with it sometimes.

The crap we get here, is that....CRAP. Or even worse, frozen.

I don't remember the taste, but I remember that I loved it.

FM1
    I gotta admit, much as we like to think of scrapple as a Pennsylvania delicacy, some of the best I ever had was at Rallo's which is a local spot in south Baltimore not far from Domino Sugar. I'm pretty sure it was made in Baltimore too, by Schluderberg & Kurdle (Esskay).
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 05-06-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

Waaay too much information,T.C.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information