Forum Member

Exclamation are explorers covered by any type of insurance??

im an explorer and have a strong intrest in firefighting and possibly want to consiter it as my career when i get older. as i found out recently from an explorer post near by was that explorers can respond to calls. when i went to my next drill i brought it up and was turned down on the idea because my adivisor said we werent covered by any type of insurance incase anything happened.

so my question is,are explorers covered by any type insurance or are we pretty much just bystanders with turn out gear? (my post is in Orange County,NY)

we are a registered post with the boy scouts of amarica, we are Explorer Post #2
    Last edited by jermsFD; 05-05-2009 at 09:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default insurance

if you are a registered post with Learning for Life AKA Boy Scouts of America - there is insurance.

you need to review your paper work - if no paperwork - you may not be truly EXPLORERS

Forum Member

I cant really explain it but here according to VFIS our insurance company, they will cover our Junior firefighters our required age is 16 and as long as there considered to be active members of the department and on our roster then there covered under our insurance

MembersZone Subscriber

Our explorers HAVE to be covered by the towns insurance or they can't do anything! Even train outside the classroom.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Forum Member

we are covered by our department and learning for life

from Orange County, CA

Forum Member

Everyone one of you has a 1 million dollar insurance policy if you are actually real explorers.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are covered by the Boy Scouts of America.

Ours are covered by the BSA and by the City.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jermsFD View Post
    im an explorer and have a strong intrest in firefighting and possibly want to consiter it as my career when i get older. as i found out recently from an explorer post near by was that explorers can respond to calls. when i went to my next drill i brought it up and was turned down on the idea because my adivisor said we werent covered by any type of insurance incase anything happened.

so my question is,are explorers covered by any type insurance or are we pretty much just bystanders with turn out gear? (my post is in Orange County,NY)

we are a registered post with the boy scouts of amarica, we are Explorer Post #2
    What an interesting post! May I ask what age you are? By your spelling/punctuation/lack of capitals--I would hazard 8 or 9.
    Should you get to the interview stage "they"--the ever mysterious "they" will ask you to write an essay or take a fire call over the telephone verbatim(weird word--look it up in the dictionary)
    I left school aged 14--either you or your teachers need a rocket up your collective rectums ,another weird word to look up. Oh, and by the way you are an AMERICAN---I don't know what a AMARICANS are.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

WTF is ^your^ problem? Go crawl back under the rock you dug yourself out from under. Unless you plan on actually answering his perfectly legitimate question at some point.

Forum Member

nmfire--obviously education is of no use to any prospective member of the Amaracain--or however weird way you choose to spell it-Fire Service.

And yes I will answer his question--stay at school learn English, it will be of great help if only to read and absorb the insurance policy he is worried about.

BTW--love the "crawl under rock" most original quote ever!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"

Forum Member

I don't believe his question had ANYTHING to do with whether he should stay in school. As for the rest of your response, if it made any sense, I would come up with a rebuttal but its idiocy pretty much speaks for itself.

Forum Member

nmfire---I have just had a horrible thought--do you earn your wages as a career fireman?

If you do not then this will explain a lot of things.

Forum Member

And that right there makes my point for me. Thank you.

Forum Member

Wow. Didn't know i was being graded on my thread. First off, i do plan to graduate high school and get a diploma with advanced designation and attend college. Second, I made several errors in capitlization and in spelling. The misspelling of "AMERICA" being of top concern to someone.

Tooanfrom- "And yes I will answer his question--stay at school learn English, it will be of great help if only to read and absorb the insurance policy he is worried about."
    Umm, alright... maybe your answering your own question because no where in my thread did i question about staying ENROLED IN school (not AT school).
    And when you find that insurance policy let me know so i can read it, ok?

And for those who answered the question without including irrelivent crap thanks.
    Last edited by jermsFD; 05-25-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Forum Member

It seems that NY has more strict rules then other states regarding explorers. Our explorers do not respond to calls, due to liability reasons and from what we learned w/ other explorers being killed nationwide. If an explorer is killed responding to a call, and in fact even if a jr is killed- they are not covered Line of Duty Death. Chris Kangas was killed 8 yrs or so ago in PA and they are still fighting it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    And that right there makes my point for me. Thank you.

A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice--or are you training to be a politician?

Gone.

Stop being a bunch of girls.

Forum Member

Here's the thing, not every department uses the same insurance. Whether it is a result of state law, department policy or insurance regulations, you probably won't be able to respond to calls.

Then again, if you're a junior FF, you are probably 16 years old...what's another two years?

Most of us were there at some point (I know I was), and I understand how much you want to get out there and jump in. Just focus on your training right now, and you may even want to pick up a FF1 book. Learn the material, ace the class, and be a kick *** fireman.
    Dave Bieniek

FF/EMT
    Valley Grove Vol. Fire Department

EMT
    Tri-State Ambulance

Professional in either role.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jermsFD View Post

The BSA insurance doesn't nessescarily cover explorers responding to calls. It covers you at exploring events.
    For ride alongs with my post, we can ride out with 2 different departments. We sign waivers releasing the said FDs of being liable for us which means the department's insurance has nothing to do with us. We're still covered by the BSA insurance, but when you make your claim, you have to prove that you weren't doing things that you weren't supposed to be doing (i.e. with my injury over a year ago, since it happened during a department drill and I was transported, I got a copy of the run-sheet to turn in with the claim because the narrative said specifically that I was participating in a search & rescue drill with the department).
    And because you're only as explorer, you're not much more than a by-stander with turn-outs.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information