Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: V10 vs 6.4L?

Forum Member

Default V10 vs 6.4L?

Would like input and thoughts from those that have experiences with Ford powerplants. Pros and Cons of the two? All constructive points appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

v10 gas hog and and a lot less torque that diesel, and after running out of numerous 6.0 i would look for other manufactures, we bought our first duramax and so far (only 6 months) i has been fine, where two other 6.0 had to replace motors before 100K. I am surprised we have not seen more of the newer dodge 4500-5500 chasis in ems/fire apparatus. Good luck. just my 2 cents.

Default 6.4

We have the 6.4 in our new light rescue. We have liked it and had no issues to speak of.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Forum Member

Our buisness is putting out fires not starting them. Go with the V-10

Forum Member

sit down and let me tell you the tale of 2 bandaid buggies (ambulances) I work on. number 1 is a '05 Ford with the 6.0, it has 28K on the clock and went back in the shop again today for a check engine light, it has 2 new turbo's, CAC has blown of, EGR cooler went south...all on runs I might add.
    Number 2 is a 07 Dodge with a CTD (cummins turbo), it runs and it runs and it runs, oh it's been in the shop twice, for oil changes.
    my two cents worth from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by k1500chevy97 View Post
    Our buisness is putting out fires not starting them. Go with the V-10
    lmao ( almost as good as parking next to a saturn and melting the door .)

go with the V-10 the 6.4 is having the same problems as the 6.0
    ~Big O~

Tankers have wheels and carry water, Tenders are breaded and served with BBQ sauce

(if you don't believe me Google it)

Forum Member

Talked with Greg Blanchat from Blanchat Mfg. about six weeks ago regarding this same subject. He told me that five years ago, 95% of what he sold were diesels, now 95% are the V10.

He said the main reasons are the 600F increase in exhaust temps and 300F increase in underhood temps with the diesel PLUS the fact that the cost of a crate V10 from the dealer is less than the cost of just one head on the diesel.

The fuel mileage difference isn't as drastic as most would think. Anecdotal evidence points to about 6-8MPG from the gas and 10-12MPG with the diesel. Factor in the $6000+ added cost of the diesel at purchase and you'd have to run the truck 30+ years to recoup your investment.

MembersZone Subscriber

ford circles all of thier mistakes.

I have to say after running my 2005 Excursion Limited with a 6.0L Im currently looking for another one. I regretably traded mine in on after I hit 193,000 on it, I ONLY had problems when I ran a Diablo Sport Tuner. When it was stock, I pulled my 28' trailer with a shelby from Canada to Florida and back again with no problems. Never overheated, once.

When I find another, that was as clean as the one I let go I will be very happy. My last alternative is to return to an upbuilder and have them retro a F350 with an enclosed back similar to the Excursion setup.

Suffice to say, I know the Fords are very picky to poor maint, not being cooled down on long hauls or plain abuse. I had a built in turbo timer to allow for the engine to cool down after each run. As well I changed the oil every 8,000 Miles, Fuel Filters every 20,000 Miles. I changed all my PT fluids at 97,000 Miles, and I didnt waste my money on synthetic, BUT I did use Sunoco Gold Diesel.

Thats my 2 cents. I drove my truck hard, I beat on her, But I took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    lmao ( almost as good as parking next to a saturn and melting the door .)

go with the V-10 the 6.4 is having the same problems as the 6.0

Forum Member

Our FD has a 2001 ford f350 crew cabb diesel and at 106K have had no major prob except battires and an alternator.

My work truck is a 2001 dodge 3500 (dog), now with 50K brakes,water pump,battries and trans problems.It rattles like it has 200k miles

With dodge and chevy going bankcorupt and closing lots of dealer ships I would not buy either.

I have a friend that works at a ford dealer as a mechanic, he says not to buy anything with the 6.0 or 6.4! Thy have lots of problems with there emissions systems. Good luck with whatever you get!

Forum Member

R74, I agree the 7.3 is a great motor. We have a bandaid buggy with 200K on the clock and it runs great, dosn't go to fast up the hill, but its reliable as the day it came out the factory door.

Thread Information