Forum Member

Default vehicle total 'seating' question

Talking out loud today, I came across a question regarding one of my department's vehicle seating capacity. We have a 1976 Ford Pierce, cabover, with open canopy cab. For all intensive purposes, this vehicle seats 6, however, the unit does not have 'man saver' bars, and during the last renovation of the vehicle, the seat belts were removed from the bench seat (ya, I know.... Not my decision) Our vehcile policy states, among other things, no person shall ride anywhere but in a recognized seat, and be seated AND BELTED anytime the vehicle is in motion. This effectively drops that vehicle to 3 seats (until such time that I can convince them to replace the belts and add man savers)

My question is: what should I put down as the number of seating positions for the grant info: 3 or 6? I know you could make an argument either way. Just want to hear some 'differing' positions and thoughts... Thanks in advance. Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medic190 View Post
    Talking out loud today, I came across a question regarding one of my department's vehicle seating capacity. We have a 1976 Ford Pierce, cabover, with open canopy cab. For all intensive purposes, this vehicle seats 6, however, the unit does not have 'man saver' bars, and during the last renovation of the vehicle, the seat belts were removed from the bench seat (ya, I know.... Not my decision) Our vehcile policy states, among other things, no person shall ride anywhere but in a recognized seat, and be seated AND BELTED anytime the vehicle is in motion. This effectively drops that vehicle to 3 seats (until such time that I can convince them to replace the belts and add man savers)

My question is: what should I put down as the number of seating positions for the grant info: 3 or 6? I know you could make an argument either way. Just want to hear some 'differing' positions and thoughts... Thanks in advance. Ben

I will put 6 but explain it as an open cab and the safety factors in the narrative.
    As for removing the seltbelts they can easily be replaced and should have been.

Forum Member

I am not a grant writer, but I would only count 3. How can you count the seats when they don't have seatbelts? Isn't it illegal to not wear a seatbelt? I would think that would limit the number to three because the "other three" are not legal seats.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

1.open cab
    2.no seatbelts
    3. no mansaver bars
    All the above would lead me to not count them as seats in the numbers.
    Now the above are also a great way to explain a need to replace this apparttus with an new enclosed cab chassis for the safety of your members. Explain how living in the great white north and winters effects on the health of the /FF's while riding in an open cab caused you to not allow them to be used ,reducing the number of responders answering a call,yadayada!!!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    1.open cab
    2.no seatbelts
    3. no mansaver bars
    All the above would lead me to not count them as seats in the numbers.
    Now the above are also a great way to explain a need to replace this apparttus with an new enclosed cab chassis for the safety of your members. Explain how living in the great white north and winters effects on the health of the /FF's while riding in an open cab caused you to not allow them to be used ,reducing the number of responders answering a call,yadayada!!!!!!
    The vehicle was designed for seats in the back and plenty of others in this country are sitting in the backs of these trucks with no seat belts or mansavers. And their seats count so these do also. That's like saying that the hydraulics are broken on an old aerial so since it can't be raised it's not an aerial. Working or not, safe to use it or not, a seat is a seat.

Thread Information