Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Helmet mounting in new apparatus?

What are people doing with the new NFPA requirement in mounting helmets in apparatus, I see zico has a universal mount anyone use it and what else is do you see or use thanks.

Forum Member

Hopefully, not complying! Another waste of money.

I agree......I wonder which one of the bracket manufacturers lobbied for this sillyness??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

I third the "silly" opinions. WASTE OF MONEY AND EFFORT. I am for being safe, just not shooting from the hip on a whim.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

4th vote. I'm all for securing equipment in the cab in case of a vehicle crash. But lets use some common sense...oh wait we can't do that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also agree, i was just wondering if anyone knows how to deal with this NFPA requirement, o hope we can talk our admin into not complyng with this requirement. Thanks

Im all for not following a few of NFPAs standards, but what do you do if your state has adopted them as OSHA? You have a wreck and a helmet strikes someone. Now you have a major lawsuit because you didn't comply. NFPA uses the fear of a major lawsuit to scare everyone into compliance.
    FF/Paramedic

No one will make you mount these brackets. You have the option of placing labels in the cab that state "Helmets are not to be worn while riding in cab." I know we'll enforce this rule, very, very <insert sarcasm> strictly.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    No one will make you mount these brackets. You have the option of placing labels in the cab that state "Helmets are not to be worn while riding in cab." I know we'll enforce this rule, very, very <insert sarcasm> strictly.
    Naw thats no good either- Remember, they just came out with a statement a few months ago (probably in anticipation of this new standard) reccomending that helmets NOT be worn while in apparatus???? And I believe their intent was to insert that into a standard somewhere????

Like I said....I wonder which bracket manufacturer greased the committee members to get this stupidity adopted???
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

I worded my response poorly. The folks that I sell for are not requiring you to have the helmet mounts. You have the choice of mounting the helmet mounts in the cab for storing the helmets, or they can be stored in the body somewhere. Like everything, how you handle it when the truck gets to your department is up to you.
    Last edited by npfd801; 05-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Naw thats no good either- Remember, they just came out with a statement a few months ago (probably in anticipation of this new standard) reccomending that helmets NOT be worn while in apparatus???? And I believe their intent was to insert that into a standard somewhere????

Like I said....I wonder which bracket manufacturer greased the committee members to get this stupidity adopted???
    Hmmm.. race car drivers, fighter pilots, helo drivers and tank crews wear their helmets in their respected modes of transportation....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I can see that a fire helmet is not a crash helmet... especially the way some guys strap all kinds of cr_p on them.... that's another whole thread on stupidity.... anyhow...

Where are the statistics that show firefighters being hurt by wearing helmets while in motion?

Heck... I grew up watchin Desotto and Gage strap their helmets on every time they responded Squad 51... they can't be wrong... can they....
    TV wouldn't lie to us... would it???

Forum Member

tv would never lie to us.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I believe remember reading in one of the trade journals that our friend Alan Saulsbury was actually a proponent, and perhaps even the author, of the no-helmet policy. It might have been in one of Robert Tutterow's articles in Fire Apparatus Magazine. The idea was that the seat belts, seat height, and ceiling heights were all engineered without the firefighter wearing a helmet. Therefore, if the FF had a helmet on, there is theoretically a higher chance of a spinal compression injury occuring in a roll-over incident.

Naturally, with the "everything must be secured in the cab" emphasis that NFPA puts on things, the collateral effect of this was the need for helmet-holders.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

If you have ridden in a Pierce or E-One with your helmet on and went over some railroad tracks a little fast you'll know why there is the new standard. Those brands cabs are extremely short.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    The idea was that the seat belts, seat height, and ceiling heights were all engineered without the firefighter wearing a helmet. Therefore, if the FF had a helmet on, there is theoretically a higher chance of a spinal compression injury occuring in a roll-over incident.
    While I'm not a big fan of the holders, they make sense in away. I rarely wear my helmet while riding as the headrest are not made/installed with the helmet in mind. Factor in any airbags that you might have and you may very well case more injury by wearing the helmet. Fire helmets would seem to offer very little protection in the event of a vehicle accident. Of course setting mine on the dash in front of me allows it to become a projectile, so maybe a holder that can be conveniently mounted near the seating position would be smart?

I'm all set with this.Take the Firecom OFF the hook,put the helmet ON the hook. hehe T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by baja320 View Post
    If you have ridden in a Pierce or E-One with your helmet on and went over some railroad tracks a little fast you'll know why there is the new standard. Those brands cabs are extremely short.
    Ride in both and over tracks very often. No problem with helmet on head.

YOU might have a problem with design of your particular trucks though...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

When is NFPA coming out with the new device to secure my raincoat and baseball cap in the cab. They ride in there everyday and I think they really need to be restrained.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    When is NFPA coming out with the new device to secure my raincoat and baseball cap in the cab. They ride in there everyday and I think they really need to be restrained.
    be careful lex.... nfpa is probably watching this thread.

they, unlike most thread starters, may know how to use the "Search" Feature here too.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Thread Information