Thread: Forestry truck

Forum Member

Default Forestry truck

Last year I recieved a grant to fund a forestry skid unit. Now I need a truck to put it on. I priced out a a basic crew cab type of truck, dualy’s, 8'bed, gas engine, 1 ton, for about 35K. Lighting, lettering and emergeny outfitting should be under 10K.

Can anyone give me any advice?

There is a formula to figure price per resident or call? Can anyone share that? What is the magic number I should be under?

Does anyone have a sample narrative?

MembersZone Subscriber

Spend the few extra $ and get the 450/550 chassis. Ford/Chevy/Dodge are all light duty units and you're going to put a heavy 24/7 load on it (snd perhaps go off gravel roads). Delete the pickup box and install an alum flatbed. Storage boxes now or later.

You sure you want the crewcab? Country mile to turn around compared to the regular cab. Bite you in the butt if you get off road and need to U turn, easy to high center and the long WB is only going to hurt you in chassis strength/life. Regular cab long box (or flatbed) is typically a better solution.

MembersZone Subscriber

calculate by taking your first due population in your district(x,xxx residents) and multiplying it times the service life of the truck (xx years). The resultant figure indicates that x,xxx residents stand to directly benefit from this project. When that figure is divided into the total grant funding requested ($xx,xxx) the cost per person is $x.xx
    Now add in the population from your automatic aid departments and the number drops even more.

Forum Member

I was told that you need to keep that number as low as possible. Is there a target number?

Forum Member

The lower the better. I usually try to shoot for under a $1.00 but have been funded as high as 2.13 Remember you can only use the mutual/auto aid pop in your narrative, but that usually brings it down quite a bit. You will hear both arguments for cost benefit, 1. it doesn't matter, 2 it does. I just try to keep it low, and show needy, not greedy and apply for a complete solution to the problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lime's last words might be confusing. Apply for a complete solution - but don't be greedy.

I don't buy the payback argument. At least for vehicle. Rcvd $283000 for CAFS tanker pumper FG07. Population of Fire district is 350.

Forum Member

All good advice. Any tricks to the narrative on this one? I have yet to be succesful on getting a vehicle and this one is critical.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld327 View Post
    All good advice. Any tricks to the narrative on this one? I have yet to be succesful on getting a vehicle and this one is critical.
    Show in the narrative that you will be using existing equipment to outfit the vehicle and how much it will save in $$$ vs. asking for a fully equipped vehicle.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Problem is that you're just asking for a chassis, which will come up as a priority 3 vehicle and it won't see the light of day. Which also makes me wonder why you would go after a grant for just the skid unit instead of the whole brush truck. Did the truck you were going to install it on die or something?

Forum Member

BC, great question. I did go for the entire truck last year as my plan A. I got the DJ letter in the very last round. Very disappointing.

Is the 08 season over? any chance it could be revisited? or I could talk to someone about now funding just the truck as I have the skid?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

BC, great question. I did go for the entire truck last year as my plan A. I got the DJ letter in the very last round. Very disappointing.

Is the 08 season over? any chance it could be revisited? or I could talk to someone about now funding just the truck as I have the skid?
    How did you sell the skid unit in the app if you didn't have a truck to put it on? Just curious since the skid unit is expected to be in use after delivery and if they audit and find it in the station you won't need the truck after they leave with it.

And to answer the question, 2008 is over with save for the excess fund people that might show up around August/September.

Under 14 days left in 2009.....
    Last edited by BC79er; 05-06-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: answer question

Forum Member

BC,
    I have a 1982 gas standard transmission that is in current use. It was a town plow truck for 15 years before it was given to the FD. The tank leaks, the pump is shot. I made it clear in the narrative that this is what the skid unit would go on. However, it would be a temporary fix as I would need a truck to mount it on within a few years. We do have a plan to put it on our utility but don't want to give that up. So I am looking for a better permanant solution.

We are currently trying to find the $$$ for a new truck to fully complete the project. And AFG is one option.

I really appreciate the input. This is why I came in here seeking advice.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-4. Just have it installed by the time they show up, temporary or not, in the narrative or not, they want it in use ASAP and get cranky when it doesn't happen. Don't want to see them walk off with your toys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could he not write narrative to fix a existing problem ?

That being that you were awarded the skid unit last year and was installed on a 15 year truck that is underpowered, rusted out as it was a hand me down snowplow truck, it's a dodge ,currect setup is overweight, ect. Then with a new chassis it would then complete the project started as last years need ?

lot's of variables missing though. fleet age,type of pickup now in service 1/2 ton ?, ect. would be some. make sure to note in narrative that you will out of service existing chassis.
    Last edited by mtndew21; 05-06-2009 at 10:58 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yeah but problem is that as a chassis only project on a brush unit, it's just a pickup truck, priority 3 by default. Might be able to sneak it in as a brush truck refurb, but in a 'patrol' as they call it in the drop down it's not really a refurb to toss the truck and slide the new skid in. Plus the difficulty of convincing Peer that the truck wasn't a POS last year when asking for the skid unit, making it appear that the skid unit was wasted funding if it was known that the truck wouldn't run.

Forum Member

Could I re apply for the full up brush truck again and then if awarded and I respond yes to the "have you recieved funding in the last 12 months" question, I will get a phone call and let them reduce it by the cost of the skid?

I realize it might not be the best way, but it might put in the best seat for success?

MembersZone Subscriber

BC,
    I have a 1982 gas standard transmission that is in current use. It was a town plow truck for 15 years before it was given to the FD. The tank leaks, the pump is shot. I made it clear in the narrative that this is what the skid unit would go on. However, it would be a temporary fix as I would need a truck to mount it on within a few years. We do have a plan to put it on our utility but don't want to give that up. So I am looking for a better permanant solution.

We are currently trying to find the $$$ for a new truck to fully complete the project. And AFG is one option.

I really appreciate the input. This is why I came in here seeking advice.
    I myself would not draw attention reapplying as to the fact that you got the cart before the horse and didn't think the whole thing thru before applying.
    and if you don't get the skid mounted like yesterday then you risk giving up the new skid as well.
    Now by doing that and your still want too try for a new truck then write grant to replace the utility truck since it would be a new project.

Tough sell though.

Thread Information