Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Has anyone used a Power stretcher

We are investigating this new technology in power stretchers and have looked into both the hydraulic as well as the air powered models.

Has anyone in here ever used one?

Do you prefer one type over the other?

Are they as useful as the manufacturers are selling?

Ok, I'll say it. What's a power stretcher?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

It's an ambulance stretcher that lifts either by aiir or hydraulics.
    supposed to save your back. We have a couple of medics that are doing some research and want to put in for an equipment grant.
    However, I am trying to get some unbiased feedback.

Oh, that kind of stretcher. I was thinking stretching of hoselines. We have automatic stretchers in service here... except we call them Explorers.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

We use them, and they are great!

We have the Stryker battery-powered hydraulic units. They add a bit of weight, but not much. We most often run with two person crews and they are a back saver. When loading a pt in the medic unit, you can position two people at the foot of the stretcher to lift.

Another benefit we have found is carrying a pt on the stretcher down stairs, you can raise the carriage so you can lift and carry in a more natural, safer posture. When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you simply push the button and take the weight of the stretcher.

We've been very happy with them. Battery life is excellent, and there has been virtually no downtime. Besides the lifting ability, the Strykers have added some other cool features. I'd recommend checking them out.

We tried the air powered units. They were heavy and more difficult to operate. We sent them back after a couple of days.

Let me know if you'd like any additional info!

Steve
    Steve Monrad
    FF-PM
    City of Anacortes, WA
    IAFF Local 1537

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPMMonrad View Post
    We use them, and they are great!

We have the Stryker battery-powered hydraulic units. They add a bit of weight, but not much. We most often run with two person crews and they are a back saver. When loading a pt in the medic unit, you can position two people at the foot of the stretcher to lift.

Another benefit we have found is carrying a pt on the stretcher down stairs, you can raise the carriage so you can lift and carry in a more natural, safer posture. When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you simply push the button and take the weight of the stretcher.

We've been very happy with them. Battery life is excellent, and there has been virtually no downtime. Besides the lifting ability, the Strykers have added some other cool features. I'd recommend checking them out.

We tried the air powered units. They were heavy and more difficult to operate. We sent them back after a couple of days.

Let me know if you'd like any additional info!

Steve
    I have used the same one and as Steve said no problems. It is heavier if going to upper floors by stairs. We used a stair chair or a back board if we did not have fire to help carry. Nice to adjust to hospital beds just by hitting a switch. I would hate to go back to the unpowered ones
    Ed
    Last edited by penman; 05-07-2009 at 03:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have the Stryker Power Pro cot and run them in all first out squads. We have had no problems with the cots. They might be 20lbs heavier than the standard cots but we will never notice the difference. Our crews can basically handle a 500lb person with a two man crew. You can adjust the cot to any level that you are transferring from. We use slide sheets under the patient to transfer from the bed to the cot. This really has help in back problem with the on duty crews. I would highly recommend them.

Honestly, you can tell the difference in weight quite easily. They are a good deal heavier (89lbs vs. 125lbs) but the lifting capability is worth it. We have purchased two using state grant funds and other sources and the crews do like them. Saying that they are "not really heavier" than the others isn't quite true. You will notice a difference if you offroad with your stretchers.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have used them for almost two years and they are great.

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Some people whine about the added weight, but really it's only added when the stretcher is empty. When it's got a person on it it it more than makes up for itself in lifting capacity.

MembersZone Subscriber WJVaughn's Avatar

If you are going to go this way go with the Strykers. We bought 4 of the Ferno version and ended up sending them all back in 90 days. They were junk.

MembersZone Subscriber

We borrowed a demo Stryker for several months and just ordered one. Yes, it's a bit heavier, but unless you can guarantee that at least two of your crew members are sufficiently strong all of the time, then get the powered stretcher.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking for a grant for stretchers?
    If so -- shoot me a email.
    sfdkyrick@hotmail.com

also they have a 700lb capacity...we love ours

Forum Member

Now, do these power stretcher/gurneys require adjustments to the ambulance floor for the stretcher to be locked into? About what is the price rangbe for such an item?

i think we paid about 10K each for the strykers, They mount just like a normal cot with the addition of a magnet that doesnt allow the cot to operate while its in the cradle. Dont forget to spec the extras like IV pole and head carriage along with the rail protectors and glove/emisis bag holders.

Smile

We are running with the stryker power cot at both of the ambulance service I run with everyone loves them. We also looked at Ferno and Monster but everyone choice the Stryker over the other two. We also looked at what everyone around us was using and everyone was going with the stryker which also made us look at that to make everyone compatible with the same equipment. We also we lucky enough to be grant 5 power cot with the AFG grant in 2008. The air power cot I would not be sure of unless the ambulance service is part of a fire department and there is a fill station for bottle and then have to carry spare cylinders just mean you need to have something else taking up storage area. The batteries are small and take up little room and last quite awhile between charges.

http://www.dailyamerican.com/article...al/news269.txt

We have them on our ambulance. LOVE THEM. For some reason they don't roll as nice as our old Stryker (and really sink into mud much more) Don't recommend them for off road!

Problem with them is that alot of the EMT's get lazy with them. Had a 550lbs pt who taxed out the motor. as the patient gets heavier, the stretcher doesn't go as high, even in the jog position. One EMT (who has a temper problem anyways) started to have a temper tantrum because the stretcher was whinning and not climbing up as fast or as far as he wanted. I told him to move out of my way and did a lift assist with the stretcher. Got it up to the heigth it needed to be. Was like lifting a 150lbs patient instead of 550lbs. Remember, you can assist technology.

However, our batteries sat dead for a little to long and now have a horrible memory in them, patients over 300 cause the light to flash red.
    -------------------

Failure is not an option!

St. Paul has them, and a few of their medic rigs are running over 3000 calls a year. They seem to be holding up well. I like them.
    As we had stryker cots before, I don't believe there was much, if any, modification of the mounting gear.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

We have two of the Strykers and we are very fond of them. They will save us a lot of money in worker's comp claims.

Thread Information