Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Finally!! Obama takes a step in the right direction!

Weeding the budget of $17 billion
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- President Obama on Thursday offered a more detailed look at his 2010 budget proposal, which includes recommendations to cut funding for 121 federal programs and save $17 billion in 2010.

"There is a lot of money being spent inefficiently, ineffectively, and -- in some cases -- in ways that are actually pretty stunning," Obama said.

The $17 billion in savings amounts to roughly 0.5% of the more than $3.5 trillion in spending approved for next year, or 1.2% of the projected $1.4 trillion deficit next year if the president's overall budget is adopted.

Obama said it nevertheless is real money -- even by Washington standards.

"To put this in perspective, this is more than enough savings to pay for a $2,500 tuition tax credit for millions of students as well as a larger Pell Grant -- with enough money left over to pay for everything we do to protect the National Parks," he said.
    Now I realize this is only 0.5%, but it is a start. Now if we can increase that effort by a factor of 10 for the next 10 years we will be doing something positive. That means cutting the budget by 5% a year.

About freakin' time.

With the repubs in power, it seemed like a never ending shopping list of shiny new defense weapons that are decades ahead of anything we'll ever face in battle. I mean getting to brag to Putin and Browne and the rest of your chums about your new strike fighter is fun, but we really can't afford that kind of penis-waving.

Forum Member

Just caught a blurb on FOX news siteing that Obama is also cutting the Fed Death benifit in half. Funny how they only mentioned that it affects police.

the funding was at 110 mil now down to 60 mil ish. Don't know if that means that those who die in the line of duty only get half of what the payout use to be or what.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah he cut half of a percent but look where some of that money came from.... AFG is the first one i noticed. Thanks Mr. President

Why don't you cut welfare and maybe it would force people to get jobs where they would get a steady paycheck and eventually make more than you give them a month, in turn maybe they would spend more money on goods which would boost production which would mean more jobs for others who are unemployed which would pull us out of this economic slump.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF2426 View Post
    yeah he cut half of a percent but look where some of that money came from.... AFG is the first one i noticed. Thanks Mr. President

Why don't you cut welfare and maybe it would force people to get jobs where they would get a steady paycheck and eventually make more than you give them a month, in turn maybe they would spend more money on goods which would boost production which would mean more jobs for others who are unemployed which would pull us out of this economic slump.
    Call me a communist if you must, but that line of thinking is really getting to me. Everybody is screaming about "Don't raise taxes!!! Cut spending!!! Just don't take any money from me!!!"

Just pay your freaking taxes, as a nation we are like a bunch of 15 year old teenagers that are living with their parents, don't want to contribute to the houshold budget, want mom and dad to buy us things, but don't want to follow any of their rules .
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by LDMEDIC View Post
    Just caught a blurb on FOX news siteing that Obama is also cutting the Fed Death benifit in half. Funny how they only mentioned that it affects police.

the funding was at 110 mil now down to 60 mil ish. Don't know if that means that those who die in the line of duty only get half of what the payout use to be or what.
    I'm not sure, but perhaps they don't expect as many LODD's this year? If god forbid it exceeds the budget, then i'm sure they'd allocate more monies.
    "Did you check under the bed?" -- Judge Crater, 1930

Its tough to cut welfare at this time and place since there are no jobs out there. so you can't "force" people to get jobs but help them ride it out and hopefully when the economy improves, then they'll be able to go back to the workplace.

Banned

Therein lies a large part of the problem. People on public assistance do better than those who work, and the lifers know how to abuse the system. i have qa very good friend who works at DSS and the stories she tells makes you freaking mad. Additionally,we can go to bars and restaurants and she will point out several clients.

The welfare system needs to be less of a luxury. Here are few changes.

In our little county of 50,000 people, DSS has reserved an entire floor of the Super 8 motel for the homeless. CHANGE (Yes We Can) - Put up a building with plenty of rooms and a small kitchen. Put the people in these rooms where they don't have maid service and have to take care of themselves. No TV, no luxuries.

Food Stamps, Now a credit card. The entire program is ripe for abuse, these people somehow find money for beer and cigarettes. CHANGE (Yes We Can) - Eliminate the program altogether. Instead, the government buys bulk lots of food. They then have workers separate the food into rations and give you the food they decide you should have.

Medical Programs. In NYS there are 23 different programs all of which are poorly run. CHANGE (Yes We Can) - Combine them into one program.

Currently, programs are set up where you either get a full benefit or no benefit. CHANGE (Yes We Can) - Develop sliding scales. I will use HEAP as an example. A family of 2 can make around $2,300 per month and qualify for the benefit. Once you qualify you get around $1,000 for heating cost. The amount varies based on the type of heat. So the family of two who makes $2,299 gets a $1,000 benefit, the family that make $2,300 has to pay the $1,000. This equates to a net difference of $2,000.

Let's start there. Make welfare and living off the system a non-luxury. Make it an inconvenience to get the benefits. I recall setting in the waiting room one time and hearing these people who were about to get $1,000s in benefits complaining becuase it was taking so long. I'm thinking to myself, what is the problem here, you have nothing else to do and all day to do it. It is also interesting to see these people who have no money standing outside the building smoking. WTF!!!! Where did you get the money for those cancer sticks!!!! Come to think of it, how are you paying for the cell phone in your pocket? And for the love of GOD, don't go out in public in your pajamas, stop being so F***ing Lazy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Call me a communist if you must, but that line of thinking is really getting to me. Everybody is screaming about "Don't raise taxes!!! Cut spending!!! Just don't take any money from me!!!"

Just pay your freaking taxes, as a nation we are like a bunch of 15 year old teenagers that are living with their parents, don't want to contribute to the houshold budget, want mom and dad to buy us things, but don't want to follow any of their rules .
    All taxes are immoral! Atlas Shrugged! No roads! No military! No nothing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Weeding the budget of $17 billion

Now I realize this is only 0.5%, but it is a start. Now if we can increase that effort by a factor of 10 for the next 10 years we will be doing something positive. That means cutting the budget by 5% a year.
    Riiiight. 1/2 of it out of DOD. Which are the only "real" reductions vs projections (such as the police death benefit which will be restored as needed).

How did that last "Peace Savings" work out (under Clinton).

Savings from reduction of waste, fraud, abuse? Give me a break. This largely in the types of programs to which we've just given $4 trillion in extra pork. My local leftist Senator (Harkin) made his "career" of 24+ years campaigning on saving tax $ by fighting for us by reducing waste, fraud, abuse to. NOTHING (except cutting military spending).

You believe that cutting fighting waste, fraud, abuse in the fed gov't is possible or happening you're a fool. Big gov't defines fighting waste, fraud, abuse of funds. Unavoidable. At best you find agencies that give a damn who minimize such do to a dedication to duty. DOD the only I've seen. Perhaps similar such as NSA, CIA.

MembersZone Subscriber

cut foriegn policies by 20 % , save us us citizens some.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by westofd1 View Post
    cut foriegn policies by 20 % , save us us citizens some.
    Cut all foreign aid, we can't even pay our own bills.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Careful Crow, your setting yourself up for another flogging.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wanted! someone in washington d.c. with common sense! there is not 1 politician that has any. our economy is failing because of there policies? lets have the U.S. citizens pay more tax rather than cut foreign aid. someday when there are no middle class people in our country with a job and not paying federal taxes maybe one of those idiots will wake-up.

Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Speaking from personal experience?

Well done.
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-08-2009 at 05:53 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Ok folks, foreign aid makes up something like 1% of the US budget.

We're not going broke sending rubbers to Africa or old F-16s to Jordan.

Truth is, we're going broke on entitlement programs.

Defense makes up the single biggest line item in the budget, but that amount is only about 1/3rd of what is spent on Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare, Medicare, and Medicaid combined.

What should really scare everyone is that interest on the debt will soon exceed everything but Defense and Social Security.

The problem rests squarely on all our shoulders because we continue to elect representatives that seek to act in a fashion that ensures their re-election rather than act in the best interests of the country. It ain't a Republican problem, it ain't a Democratic problem, it is an American problem that we've got to fix.

The real problem is that fixing it will be very painful and the electorate can't seem to stand a mild ache, much less real pain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Ok folks, foreign aid makes up something like 1% of the US budget.

We're not going broke sending rubbers to Africa or old F-16s to Jordan.

Truth is, we're going broke on entitlement programs.

Defense makes up the single biggest line item in the budget, but that amount is only about 1/3rd of what is spent on Social Security, Unemployment, Welfare, Medicare, and Medicaid combined.

What should really scare everyone is that interest on the debt will soon exceed everything but Defense and Social Security.

The problem rests squarely on all our shoulders because we continue to elect representatives that seek to act in a fashion that ensures their re-election rather than act in the best interests of the country. It ain't a Republican problem, it ain't a Democratic problem, it is an American problem that we've got to fix.

The real problem is that fixing it will be very painful and the electorate can't seem to stand a mild ache, much less real pain.
    There is a graph that shows this very well and it is published by a reputable source. There are plenty of blogs who give pie charts to prove their point but aren't telling the whole story. Last I looked Defense, entitlements, SS, and the debt payments were almost identical. Now with a record deficit, the debt will will be the biggest line item. Once the crooks in DC figured out hey could steal from the people and some would enjoy it the gates were opened. Where are the likes of Jefferson, Washington, and Hancock when we need them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Speaking from personal experience?

Well done.
    YUP!!! I know very well that you cannot borrow your way out of debt.

MembersZone Subscriber

get out of NAFTA! plain and simple. our government paying US corps to send our jobs overseas! explain that. natural disaster strikes foreign countries US sends billions of dollars within a day or two! if it happens here in our country they take 1 or 2 years to pay if they dont deny it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by idiotboy
    Where are the likes of Jefferson, Washington, and Hancock when we need them?
    You'll appreciate the irony of this idiotboy. It's easy to make ends meet when you own slaves. Which all three did. And even with that advantage one died flat broke.

I'll pass.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information