Forum Member

Default Florida State Fire College PT test question's

I take my pad June 6th for the July class, was wondering how people did on the pad test, my sit ups are 45 in a minute 5, push ups are 25 in 30 seconds and my run is 10:30 for the mile in a half.

I've been using an large truck tire and sledge hammer to get ready for the forcible entry. Was wondering how hard was moving the 115# beam on the sled?

And does anyone have any tips?

Thanks
    Last edited by ctrlaltdelete; 05-08-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Forum Member

I graduated class '07-01. The sled is easy, you have five minutes to do it in. I saw one giant dude do it in 8 seconds. The hose dragging shouldn't be to hard if you've been dragging a tire around. There's no time limit for it, it's strictly pass/fail.

The testing begins with the sit-ups first, then push ups. When I took the test there was about 75 people testing...literally half of them failed on the sit-ups. After those two things they break you up into groups, and you do the sled, hose, and ladder carry. The hardest part is if you have to do the hose drag last since the run is right after it.

Tip: be every where on time, come clean shaven, don't cuss, and stay quiet. When I took the test they made all of the people with long side burns, goatees, and mustaches go shave. If they came back late they didn't test. I saw some people kicked out for cussing near instructors, or talking while the instructors where speaking.

Congrats on making it to this point, I waited for a year to test there. It is an extremely rewarding and memorable experience if you can get in. Good luck!

Forum Member

Nginear,

Thanks for the tips, I was planning on a military hair cut before I go. Do they watch for strict form on your push ups/sit ups? and who counts them, you or an instructor? I was surprised that the sit ups only require you to touch your knees and don't go all the way up.

I'm surprised that people take the testing so lightly. How was the ladder carry? Any recommendation on bunker gear, if I don't get on a department right off I was going to volunteer at the friendship station that's down the street from me than start the EMT in January and paramedic after.

Again thanks so much for the help!

MembersZone Subscriber

In the PT test everything is counted and graded by an Instructor. They're strict but fair on form. If you're preparing for it you'll be ok. Have you started volunteering yet? If so there's bound to be someone at that station that's recently gone through and they can give you a good heads up.
    I may speak gibberish, but I don't talk s***! -- Dropkick Murphys

Forum Member

Fokker416,

Thanks for your reply, I started the process for volunteering a while back but was told that I needed FF1 to be able to volunteer at a station, so I figured that I would apply to station 21 when I get my FF1 cert, in June I'm taking a Basic life support class at CFCC.

I been preparing for the Fire college hard core, I just hope it pays off! I just wish I could take the test now, I feel I'm ready!!!

Forum Member

Well took the test and passed, extremely good feeling. If anyone has question's let me know and I'll answer them to best of my knowledge.

Nginear (Very helpful information)
    Tip: be every where on time, come clean shaven, don't cuss, and stay quiet. When I took the test they made all of the people with long side burns, goatees, and mustaches go shave. If they came back late they didn't test. I saw some people kicked out for cussing near instructors, or talking while the instructors where speaking.

This was so true, you address the instructors as "Sir" or "Chief/Captain" and don't use the words like "yup" or other slang and LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN.

The biggest thing was come prepared to do sit ups/push up run ect!! oh and LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN!!!!

Forum Member

Well three weeks down, and still kicking strong. For all those that are going in September or later get ready for "The Chad" all I can say is he is a PT machine. Last Tuesday 1,000 push ups.

The maze was awesome, sucks if your claustrophobic, I mean that tube gets really tight and hot as hell.

All I can say for those that are going or thinking of going to FSFC there are some high points and low points but never give up!! Oh and the Ladder tour, I have no words to describe it, but after you finish it, you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment!!!!

Forum Member

after you finish EMT wait a lil while and get some experience as an EMT before jumping into MEDIC school

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrivers09 View Post
    after you finish EMT wait a lil while and get some experience as an EMT before jumping into MEDIC school
    Agreed! I can't count the times I have seen people jump from EMT to Medic and have no street experience first! This is the worst thing you could possibly do when it comes to schooling in this field.

Forum Member

Front Leaning Rest sucks! Thats all I have to say about that!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic80 View Post
    Front Leaning Rest sucks! Thats all I have to say about that!
    I second that!!!

Thread Information